PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Cable

nugs
03-10-2008, 12:30 PM
I have had my PS3 for about 2 months now, and I just bought a HDMI cable. The difference I believe is well worth the $35-60 investment, to where everything is so much clearer, and playing games in HD is just unbelievable visually. Agree/Disagree?

Starscream
03-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Play a game on a SD tv and connect the PS3 with a scart cable.
then play the same game on a HD TV connected with a HDMI cable.
The diffrence is huge no discussion about it.

But why did u pay so much for a HDMi cable?

apexracing
03-10-2008, 01:23 PM
The HDMI cable in itself doesn't make a difference. Whether HDMI or component, HD has much higher quality.

Current games don't support the HD sound codecs either, so there's no benefit over component video and toslink.

HDMI for gaming is mostly a convenience feature. :p:

AliG
03-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Either way, why waste so much on an hdmi cable? They can be bought from newegg for a third of that

nugs
03-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Either way, why waste so much on an hdmi cable? They can be bought from newegg for a third of that

If I only knew.. I would have saved some money for other games.
When i attached the PS3/HDMI cable, the tv recognized it was receiving a signal thru that port it automatically asked if I wanted to use a different resolution, since I wasn't using this particular tv with HD, but only for gaming.:D It didn't do that with component cables.

Brother Esau
03-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Really good quality cables cost allot of money guys! On my stereo system I have about $350.00 worth of Monster cables connecting the system components and the difference between them and cheap crap cables is HUGE!

Cable signal integrity matters and should never be overlooked or compromised with inferior quality cables.

Starscream
03-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Really good quality cables cost allot of money guys! On my stereo system I have about $350.00 worth of Monster cables connecting the system components and the difference between them and cheap crap cables is HUGE!

Cable signal integrity matters and should never be overlooked or compromised with inferior quality cables.

yes and no.
The more expensive cables are better then the cheap ones (better isolation better quality etc) but with HDMI cables the diffrence between the cheap and expensive can only be noticed if the cables are long enough.

Seeing most HDMi cables used are 2 to 3 meters long you wont see any diffrence between a cheap or an expensive cable on such short distence.

With Audio equipment the cables used are usualy much longer (mine are all 8 meters a piece) therefor the diffrence between cheap and expensive cables is more easily noticed.

Haltech
03-15-2008, 03:03 AM
Spending an arm and leg for Monster's junk doesnt mean you have a quality cable.

Ill give you a place i get my HIGH QUALITY, less costing cables...

www.ramelectronics.net

MuffinFlavored
03-15-2008, 02:58 PM
For anyone who said why waste that much on a PS3 cable,
I washed 2 cars for 6 hours to earn 40 bucks, and I planned on spending 5 bucks on a 3 foot HDMI cable for a PS3, and I went into Wal-Mart, and it was 35 dollars.

Starscream
03-15-2008, 04:55 PM
I washed 2 cars for 6 hours to earn 40 bucks, and I planned on spending 5 bucks on a 3 foot HDMI cable for a PS3, and I went into Wal-Mart, and it was 35 dollars.

dont buy it, its a terrible thing to waste money on such things.

MuffinFlavored
03-15-2008, 09:28 PM

Too late. :(
I kind of like HDMI though.
Very simple, video and audio all in one.

I think that should be the standard in all video and audio.

What is this DisplayPort stuff?
Are Component and S-VIDEO still "alive"?

Titus
03-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I connected my HDTV and HD-DVD player via HDMI...bought it from monoprice...their prices are MUCH cheaper then any of those brand name HDMI cables and performance is just as good or better

YukonTrooper
03-15-2008, 09:34 PM
What were you using before the HDMI cable? Doesn't the PS3 come with one?

irev210
03-15-2008, 09:42 PM
The HDMI cable in itself doesn't make a difference. Whether HDMI or component, HD has much higher quality.

Current games don't support the HD sound codecs either, so there's no benefit over component video and toslink.

HDMI for gaming is mostly a convenience feature. :p:

The HDMI cable in itself doesnt make the difference, the higher resolution digital picture is what makes the difference.

HDMI or Component, both can do HD but Component is Analog.

And they can be bought from monoprice.com for a third of that :)

If I only knew.. I would have saved some money for other games.
When i attached the PS3/HDMI cable, the tv recognized it was receiving a signal thru that port it automatically asked if I wanted to use a different resolution, since I wasn't using this particular tv with HD, but only for gaming.:D It didn't do that with component cables.

Component cables can do 1920x1080 (1080P) if your TV supports it. Pretty much most high-def TV's support 720P over component.

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/03/03/do-coat-hangers-soun.html

I bet you can tell the difference :) HUGE difference of how much $ is in your wallet, heh.

Regardless, Digital picture is digital picture. Either you get picture or you dont. Problem with poor quality HDMI cables is distance.

yes and no.
The more expensive cables are better then the cheap ones (better isolation better quality etc) but with HDMI cables the diffrence between the cheap and expensive can only be noticed if the cables are long enough.

Seeing most HDMi cables used are 2 to 3 meters long you wont see any diffrence between a cheap or an expensive cable on such short distence.

With Audio equipment the cables used are usualy much longer (mine are all 8 meters a piece) therefor the diffrence between cheap and expensive cables is more easily noticed.

25 foot cables are definitely long. Most cables typically drop down to 28AWG tinned copper for 25 foot cable. You can hit about 15 feet with 28AWG tinned copper.

Monoprice sells 25foot HDMI cable for about 25 bucks, much more expensive vs other cables.

Spending an arm and leg for Monster's junk doesnt mean you have a quality cable.

Ill give you a place i get my HIGH QUALITY, less costing cables...

www.ramelectronics.net

if you like ram, you will love monoprice!

Cool part about walmart is it is oh so easy to return.

Hey, he coulda bought a monster cables for $350 bucks

MuffinFlavored
03-15-2008, 09:42 PM
I connected my HDTV and HD-DVD player via HDMI...bought it from monoprice...their prices are MUCH cheaper then any of those brand name HDMI cables and performance is just as good or better

Oww, but it is gold-plated to prevent... something!
:rolleyes:

What were you using before the HDMI cable? Doesn't the PS3 come with one?

No, and I made sure I googled this before I went out and bought one.

I was so sure the cable would be $4 too.

irev210
03-15-2008, 09:57 PM
I was so sure the cable would be $4 too.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3959&seq=1&format=2

3.98 for a 10 foot 1.3b HDMI cable

+ ~3 dollars for first class shipping

MuffinFlavored
03-15-2008, 10:06 PM
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3959&seq=1&format=2

Exactly, I saw this on the internet, and I was all excited to barge in the store with enough money to buy milk, and come out with eye candy in a cord.

Jamestuk
03-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Cables are so often overlooked in stuff like this. You could spend £1000's on speakers, an HDTV or a nice amp or something but if you still have £5 cables its gonna be a disapointment. A kinda bottleneck I guess...

Starscream
03-16-2008, 04:50 PM

arent all HDMI cables the same? Or do the HDMi revisions also go for the cables?

Cables are so often overlooked in stuff like this. You could spend £1000's on speakers, an HDTV or a nice amp or something but if you still have £5 cables its gonna be a disapointment. A kinda bottleneck I guess...

true but there is no need spending 100s of euros/dollars on expensive cables when it isnt neccesary.
For 90% of the people (most likely even more) normal cables are enough.
The expensive ones only make sense if u need to cover distences or if there is alot of interference.

irev210
03-20-2008, 08:41 PM
arent all HDMI cables the same? Or do the HDMi revisions also go for the cables?

yes and no...

it just means that a 1.3b cable is certified for 1.3b specifications.

I've never seen it but apparently there is a specification for HDMI class 1 cables that are only certified for 1080i (75MHz)

AustonnTexas
04-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I got a Xbox 360, and to tell you the truth I think the difference between component and HDMI is nothing. I've seen both up and running side by side, and I can't even tell a difference. I would definatly not spend the extra $80 for HDMI. Really all HDMI is, is cable management. Okay maybe it has a wee bit better picture. But that wee-bit in my eyes is not worth $80+ dollars.

XBOX 360 COD4 FTW!!!

-AustonnTexas

Scubar
04-02-2008, 04:45 AM
XBOX 360 COD4 FTW!!!

That statement is just soooooooooo wrong, such a great game being wasted by being played on a console. ( Yes i too have a 360 )

I will agree that the Component vs HDMI on xbox360 there is little to no difference, I have tried both on mine.