PDA

View Full Version : Project cars. Who's building what?

MediOCre
08-24-2003, 01:07 PM
I know I'm not the only greasemonkey out there.

Saved this '68 Plymouth Satellite from the wrecking yard a few years back and it was rough. (still is.) Blown 383/2 barrel, rust, slipping trans, shredded interior, bad wiring, etc. but at $200 bucks I couldn't watch it die.

Current powertrain:
440cid, balanced & blueprinted, .30 over 8:1 pistons.
Mopar Performance .533 cam.
Edelbrock aluminum performer heads & Torker 2 manifold.
Holley 950cfm 3 barrel carb. (Considering a retro tri-power setup, possibly fuel injection.)
Mallory unilite
Hooker supercomp 2" headers, Borla mufflers, 3" exhaust

727 trans, Cheetah manual valve body, 3,000rpm stall converter hooked up to a Mopar slap shifter. 3.91 Traction lock out back. (5 speed manual is planned, I'm a sucker for a clutch.)

Torsion bars, springs, sway bar, front discs/spindles are all heavy duty, salvaged from a '71 Hemi Charger R/T. (Engine was already gone, damnit.) Bushings are graphite injected polyurethane and a rear wheel disc brake conversion kit from Wilwood helps it stop.

Fiberglass fenders, hood, dec & bumpers save some weight, trim has been shaved & wheels are Billet Specialties "20 rear/"18 Front.

It's still a long way off. Needs interior, gauges, wiring, body, paint and a myriad of never ending tweaks and fine tuning. Paint will be a Plum Crazy/flat black combo.

Should make for a nice ride on those cold/rainy days when I don't feel like freezing on the bike.

I'd love to see what other people are working on, whether a ground up rebuild or a weekend bolt on session. Post 'em if you've got 'em.

MediOCre
08-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Not the best picture in the world but had to include a shot of the engine. Firewall & valve covers show the eventual body color.

felix88
08-29-2003, 09:06 PM
thats a nice ride you've got there.

i'm looking at 67/68 Mercury Cougars. i figure if i can find one with a straight body and no rust, i could have some fun with it.

vlad
08-29-2003, 09:59 PM
Very nice! its also good to see someone else that likes older cars.
the kids now love imports:doh: what i love is the look on their face when they have $30/40.000 in an import & i trash them with
a 35yr old car:hehe: good luck with her.:thumbsup:

felix88
08-29-2003, 11:52 PM
i must be a young'un!

i still appreciate the older cars. we wouldn't have the Mustang, Camaro, Corvette and Viper if it weren't for those primitive beasts back then.

when i was about 10 or 12 i was taken for a ride in an original Shelby Cobra 427 roadster. i can still remember how raw it felt. the lumpy idle, the burbling exaust, pretty much no top in case it rained, and remeber not to burn the hell out of your leg when you get out. you don't get that in an import.

i wish i could have seen the cars back then, instead of seeing what is left of them now.

vlad
08-30-2003, 07:11 AM
Two of my beasts are mustang fastbacks, 65(drag car) & 68(street but set up for roadracing like the R model shelbys). dont get me wrong about my earlyer post some of these guys with imports put the same amount of blood sweat & love into their machines & that i can appreciate, the guys who mod the sh*t out of the drivetrain & suspension are OK in my book, but the guys that care only about their tunes & looks & still think theyre fast need to get a clue. good luck with your search for that Merc. smallblock fords are great engines to mod. later.:thumbsup:

IFMU
08-30-2003, 07:20 AM
Wow, that sucker will be a serious beauty once you get her goin all the way.
Granted, already is really, just a lil rough. ;)

I cant afford to get back into cars the way I would like, but Im not a engine man, I am a body man though. Give me a frame and body parts, I will make that sucker look like a freshly built beast!

I can do some engine work, but that is very limited.

I want to get together my first car and fix one of those up someday. A 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo, the 1st year of the Monte... they always say you fall in love forever with your first car... guess its true... LoL

vlad
08-30-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by IFMU
Wow, that sucker will be a serious beauty once you get her goin all the way.
Granted, already is really, just a lil rough. ;)

I cant afford to get back into cars the way I would like, but Im not a engine man, I am a body man though. Give me a frame and body parts, I will make that sucker look like a freshly built beast!

I can do some engine work, but that is very limited.

I want to get together my first car and fix one of those up someday. A 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo, the 1st year of the Monte... they always say you fall in love forever with your first car... guess its true... LoL
Thats why i have my 68. she was my 1st love. got her in 79 when
i was 18 in the army. Monte's are nice too. alot of my buds back in chicago are chevy guys & i've built my share of small & big block
chevys too. post some pic's when you get your old love back.:D

DScamp
08-30-2003, 01:15 PM
I have a 71 charger that Im working on,Ive had it for 2 years now and Im the 2nd owner. It has all the numbers matching. It has a 383 magnum,holley 650cfm,727 tranny,a stock cam with a lil bit more of kick.Im gonna leave it original so I can sell it,its an SE and not many were made. So when I sell it,prolly next year,Im gonna buy a 2001 subaru impreza 2.5rs and make it a beast.

sjohnson
08-30-2003, 01:32 PM
Great start on that Satellite. So much time and money to get it to where you have it now!

Just started on a '65 Chevy Custom PU. It was rodded up a bit over 10 years ago, faded Candy Red lower with a white upper (doors up on the cab are white).

327/Edelbrock manifold/Edelbrock 4 barrel, lots of chrome on the engine. I don't yet know the rear-end ratio or any other specs on the engine, just got it last week.

Bad points - some minor rust and the 327 is mated to a Powerglide. That slushglide will be replaced with a 350 turbo and the body will be stripped for a complete sheet-metal rebuild, then repainted.

I'm leaning toward an Imron paint job, and keeping it two-tone for that "retro" look. Will likely end up with it semi-stock or stock on the body and interior. Also looking for a period A/C unit to finish it out. Pix if/when I get some spare cycles...

vlad
08-31-2003, 06:24 AM
The 327 is a sweet motor. beleave it or not but the powerglide is one of the best trannys for drag racing. watch that turbo 350 tho,
without replacing so key parts with after market parts they brake
farely easy. the turbo 400 is much better in stock form. good luck & post so pic's.:)

sjohnson
08-31-2003, 08:57 AM
Heh - no $$ to beef up the Powerglide to HD spec, but you did trigger some memories from my youth. Even looked it up in some of my old manuals. Agree, the 400 turbo would be a better choice for a street machine than the 350. Thanks!

Too much glare today for good pix, sorry about the wash-out.

sjohnson
08-31-2003, 08:59 AM
The 327 runs sweet, haven't checked the compression yet but she chuckles nicely out the dual exhausts.

sHoHaN
09-09-2003, 08:26 AM
Not all of us 'kids' love imports...I am hopping up my 98 Dodge Neon ACR and helping my buddy with his 74 Road Runner GTX 440 and 69 Plymouth Fury III. I am not saying I don't like imports, but I am saying that I appreciate a car for its performance not for its name.

jaawood
09-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by sHoHaN
Not all of us 'kids' love imports...I am hopping up my 98 Dodge Neon ACR and helping my buddy with his 74 Road Runner GTX 440 and 69 Plymouth Fury III. I am not saying I don't like imports, but I am saying that I appreciate a car for its performance not for its name.

that's right! they should just crate up all those ricers and send them right back to Japan...:D

Amoeba Assassin
09-12-2003, 04:21 PM
did you take car mechanics in high school by any chance?

dojobi
09-24-2003, 06:01 PM
I'm from Australia, but I've been living in the US for the last 6 months and I've got to say all your imports do suck here. I can see why all the owners of US made cars think they're a waste of time. Pretty well every single decent car made in Japan is NOT imported into the US. It's amazing how many good cars you miss out on.

Anyway, later this year you'll get a nice Aussie import - your Pontiac GTO. It's actually a Holden Monaro, which is a very nice car.

JNav89GT
10-06-2003, 12:07 PM
In process of Modding a 1996 Ram Air Trans AM. 6 Speed manual car, black with black leather and T-tops.
body is in fair to good condition. Mechanically the car is "challenged".
Dropping in new 4bolt main LT-1 Crate motor. Have ported stage II LT-1 heads, CC306(big) cam, Comp Pro R 1.6 RR's, #30lb ford injectors, bbk Throttle body, Jet Hot coated LT headers, off road Y-pipe.
Rear end will change to 4.10 gears. Pro 5.0 shifter with short stick. Tranny seems to be ok.

Car should dyno near 400 rear wheel hp :)

gonna try to trade a computer for a fresh coat of paint and minor body work to remove the minor nicks and dings it has. Hopefully add a set of 18" rims to it and enjoy it then.

Jen
10-07-2003, 07:40 PM
Projects in this yard

1950 Willys Wagon Jeep
1951 Plymouth Belvedere 2 dr hardtop
1952 Dodge 1 Ton [currently takeing apart to fix it up for daily driver]
1964 Dodge 1/2 ton truck
1966 Barracuda [273 , 4 spd car etc ]
1972 Dodge Motorhome
Jen

*No selling on this section* Turbo