PDA

View Full Version : what RAM is best for Phenom? and few other questions...

GenTarkin
03-08-2008, 02:05 PM
I am debating on upgrading to a phenom system.
I have to get a new motherboard, RAM and processor.
The board I am looking at is the abit AX78, it fits my needs for PCIe configuration and other things. I really wish to know more about its BIOS and ocability for phenoms ~ if anyone has more tips on this please let me know.

I am overall not sure what ram to get with the phenom though, should I go with PC6400 or should I go with PC8500. I dont want to spend much money on RAM so Im lookin for something inexpensive and known to work decently w/ Phenom.
I am only doing 2x1GB for my RAM.

Also, as far as the best Phenom for OC'in at this point in time...Ive read on various threads here that the 9500 has higher chance then the rest of the Phenoms of getting a decent OC between 2.6-2.8ghz?

Is this still true to this date or would a 9600BE have higher chances of getting those speeds?

Thanks

Daveburt714
03-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I have this Memory in the 4Gb (2x2) version Gen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231152

Not sure if everyone would agree with me or not, but it has served me quite well. It's cheap, and if you leave your multi set for DDR2/800 you can OC your HT Ref clock all the way up to 250 without the memory being an issue.. :D

As for the processor, I'd say to go with the 9600BE. Or better yet, wait a few weeks and get a B3 stepping..

quik_2_win
03-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Although I have no personal experience with the ram Daveburt recommended, I like the low voltage requirement. Some AM2+ boards have oddly low Vdimm which can make running some modules at high speed rather difficult.

If your intention is to oc via external clock there honestly isn't much point in spending extra for the BE, although the 'extra' is very little and an unlocked multi is nice to have. Im not seeing any evidence that suggests any particular Phenom model really oc's better than the others /shrug.

JumpingJack
03-08-2008, 10:27 PM
The BE gives you a bit more flexibility for the OC with unlocked multies of course, KTE has a great thread on pairing a Phenom with the MSI MB, with lots of good info there.

From what I have gathered, and some of my own experience, voltage on the NB as well as the clock on both the NB and the cores can make a difference in the stability of a good OC on this chip, I think the extra 40 or 50 bucks from a 9500 to a 9600 BE is certainly worth it.

EDIT: There are a few reviews around the web that also have shown that DDR2-1067 does improve performance over DDR2-800, not massively, but substantially. RAM is cheap nowadays.

jack

jonspd
03-09-2008, 03:38 AM
I have used both g-skill 2x1gbhz pc6400 sticks and crucial tracers 2x1gb pc6400 without any issues. The pc8500 has had many issues with certain boards AFAIK