PDA

View Full Version : I retract my opinion regarding videogames and violence in teens

Polizei
03-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Just about 15 minutes ago, I was playing BF2 with my roommate and a friend who lives across the hall from me here at college. My roommate and I were on one team, our friend was on the other. My roommate and I entered the server part-way through one round, where I noticed my friend had been there for some time.

He was his usual self - not a team player - playing as a sniper. Granted he gets kills, but he has more deaths than team points. He never takes flags, never plays medic or support, never does anything to help the team. "I win when I have a good kill to death ratio," he says when I tell him to start playing as a team member so we can win the round.

Anyways, I got in the server, and he was his typical 20:5 kills to deaths. I picked up my new found favorite, the M11-87. The slow ass reloading, slow ass c0cking, USMC pump shotgun, and proceeded to own some nub cakes. My friend was one of them. I ended up finishing the round with more over all points than my friend, more team points, and more kills, with a better kill to death ratio to boot. I know how to play the game, I play as a team player. Once you know how to play, the points just happen, you dont have to try to get them. His kill to death ratio when from 4:1 to barely 2:1, and still had more deaths than team points.

After killing him for the 5th or 6th time, and it being the end of the round with 2 or 3 tickets left, I tea bagged him. I didnt think he would know it was me.

Not 10 seconds later, my friend opens the door to my room, smacks me upside the head, saying "If you ever tea bag me again!..." and then tried, yes, tried to put me in a head lock. I dont think I have ever gotten up from a chair faster in my life. In trying to block his hand, he hit me and my hand hit my new Samsung LCD. Good thing my monitor is fine. :shakes:

[On a side note, I "sold" him my old monitor to help pay for my new one. He still owes me the money... right as I was selling it to him, he decided to "remember" that he owed his parents money, so I thought I would be nice and let him pay me back later. This was 2 months ago. :shakes:]

So I up, tried to push him away, and he charged me again. I put him in a head lock, and said "Look [explitives], its just a game. Calm the [explitive] down." He had his hands out to his side in a surrender posture, so I let him go. He about face turned and walked out the door.

-------

I have no changed my opinion on video games and teens and violence. I dont think games cause teens to walk into a school or a mall and shoot civilians or plant bombs.

I do think however, that the rage and anger that stems from ones performance in a video game will anger them to outlash at their opponents, like my friend did to me. :shakes:

Discuss.

3lfk1ng
03-06-2008, 09:28 PM
...your friend is immature.

Nanometer
03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Find new friends.

Knight
03-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Tea bag him some more times. ;)

Own a gun? :p:

tbone8ty
03-06-2008, 09:48 PM
yeah he needs a girlfriend...

but i see your point though

Polizei
03-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Tea bag him some more times. ;)

Own a gun? :p:

Will do on tea bagging him more. Cant own a gun on a college campus - dont want to either.

yeah he needs a girlfriend...

Hes got one. Complains about how he only sees her on weekends and complains about her family life.

WeStSiDePLaYa
03-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Here is a question, not to undermine what you said.

But, would you expect the same behavior if you humiliated someone during another type of competitive activity?

YugenM
03-06-2008, 11:29 PM
My friend and I teabag each other all the time in Day of Defeat: Source and Insurgency 2.0e, and we laugh about it at school.

It's just a game after all...

trance565
03-06-2008, 11:52 PM

But, would you expect the same behavior if you humiliated someone during another type of competitive activity?

real life humiliating, and humiliating in games is 100% different, real life, you get humiliated in front of ppl you know mosthte time. online, you dont know anybody, who gives a damn? your never gonna meet 99.999% of teh ppl you play games with online.

Jowy Atreides
03-07-2008, 12:36 AM
it sounds like your friend has serious anger problems and you betrayed him regardless that it was in a gaming situation

3lfk1ng
03-07-2008, 12:42 AM
betrayed... LOL! your a funny guy.

It's an FPS... killing people is half the fun, besides... a little bit of friendly competition is normally harmless unless your friend is off his meds.

I play CS and Wow, tea bagging someone after a death is just a matter of having fun and rubbing it in, who really cares... it's not like your leaving the battlefield with some other mans pubes stuck to your forehead.

If he cannot take the heat... tell him to stay out of the fire.

GunterFalstaff
03-07-2008, 01:21 AM
Slip some Ketamine into his energy drink, teabag him, take a picture, go to kinkos, print off poster size, place above his bed. problem solved =P

Polizei
03-07-2008, 05:43 AM

If he tea bagged me, its safe to say I wouldnt be walking across the hall and punching him in the side of the head. Hes done it before, I laugh it off, call him an ass, respawn and knife him.

Its a game. It may be frustrating, but seriously, its a game.

i found nemo
03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
so then o/cing is gotta be on ur list .... 300 reboots just because of MAL lmao. yea i say get more mature friends

biohead
03-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Newsflash! He's not your friend. Put some pressure behind that money thing, get it solved, then cut him off.

YukonTrooper
03-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Your friend is a whiny little banana. The game isn't doing anything, either than acting as a catalyst to bring out the turd that's already inside of him. It's not creating turd, it's only bringing it to the surface.

Jowy Atreides
03-07-2008, 10:26 AM
betrayed... LOL! your a funny guy.

It's an FPS... killing people is half the fun, besides... a little bit of friendly competition is normally harmless unless your friend is off his meds.

I play CS and Wow, tea bagging someone after a death is just a matter of having fun and rubbing it in, who really cares... it's not like your leaving the battlefield with some other mans pubes stuck to your forehead.

If he cannot take the heat... tell him to stay out of the fire.

extreme yeah :)
but maybe he takes his gaming too seriously, I remember when my brother deleted
my ffvii save that was near perfect when I was like 12

...I went mad with anger and i'm usually very calm

Omastar
03-07-2008, 07:29 PM
You need to move out of that fail-pit you call Ohio.

Polizei
03-07-2008, 07:35 PM
You need to move out of that fail-pit you call Ohio.

Where would you suggest moving? North Carolina is full of fail too, you know.