PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Voyager GTs?

Omastar
03-04-2008, 11:58 PM
I love my 2GB Voyager GT, but Newegg doesn't seem to carry them anymore, and the online shops with them in stock are really off the wall places I've never heard of--the prices are extortionate, to boot.

Are you guys shifting your manufacturing away from GTs to the regular Voyagers, Survivors and such, predominantly?

Thanks,

Matt.

Yellowbeard
03-05-2008, 10:00 AM
There is a pretty major shift in available inventory that I am not up to date on. It is primarily a shift due to available RAM densities and some changes are being made literally as I type this. The smaller drives (1gb, 2gb, ???) will start disappearing if they have not already. I'll post any info I get.

Omastar
03-05-2008, 06:43 PM
There is a pretty major shift in available inventory that I am not up to date on. It is primarily a shift due to available RAM densities and some changes are being made literally as I type this. The smaller drives (1gb, 2gb, ???) will start disappearing if they have not already. I'll post any info I get.

Thanks a lot for the heads up. :up:

Most of the GT models I saw available were 4GB models, and they were going for $85-$100 whereas the 4GB regular Voyagers go for $25 on Newegg currently.

If you could clarify something for me: does the shortage have to do with the hand-binning process that goes on with the GTs?

Thanks again.

Yellowbeard
03-05-2008, 07:14 PM
I am not 100% certain but I think it is more due a transition to larger IC densities which is causing lower availability. It's the same basic reason we don't manufacture 256mb memory modules any longer.