PDA

View Full Version : a question about fluids to use

andressergio
03-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Hey Guys

I read all topics recommendations for fluids, thing is that i have all parts comming from petra's except the fluid, my country has severe restrictions on entering liquids so i couldn't risk all these parts to be kept at the customs...

Can I use the solution made for car rads ? i see a lot that have :

de-ioized water + anti freeze + anti corrosion

The only thing missing there is anty algae or microbes....

Any simple recommendations on what to use ?

Thanks to all that
Cheers
Sergio

kohn.ma
03-03-2008, 09:21 AM
distilled water maybe for the solution
for biocide you may use copper sulfate pentahydrate (CuSO4(aq) * 5H20(l)), but I'm not sure the molarity you may need. If there's someone on here that knows the petra's people they may be able to get you a answer. Then you may buy it in-nation. :up:

Xilikon
03-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Do you have petshops in your city ? If yes, you can probably find some algicide containing copper sulfate that you can use to kill algae. With this, just use distilled water and for the antifreeze, you can order some G11 Pentosin in a local Volkswagen/Audi store if you have them in your city.

Sparda
03-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Usually you can find biocide at aquarium shop. They use it to prevent algae growth in aquarium or pond. Usually few drop is enough.

I think the dionized water is not same as distilled water. There already a thread about this. Search it. Distilled water is the best.

Use anticorrosion if you have mixed metal (copper and aluminium) in your loop and use a correct amount/mixture.

andressergio
03-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys

Anyone knows the correct dosis ?, just a few drops of biocide and coolant ?

I think there's no aluminium

dtek fuzion cpu block
HW Black ICE 360 stealth
laing MCP655 D5 vario
micro res
tygon 3603 7/16 ID 5/8OD

Cheers
Sergio

billb
03-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Do Not Use Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate
http://avogadro.chem.iastate.edu/MSDS/CuSO4-5H2O.htm
Air sensitive. Warning! Harmful if swallowed. Causes digestive and respiratory tract irritation with possible burns. Causes eye and skin irritation and possible burns. Hygroscopic. Mutagen. Possible sensitizer.
Target Organs: Blood, kidneys, liver.
I use it for killing trees/bushes!

90% Distilled (not deionized) water
10% Automotive antifreeze (ethylene glycol type, 100%, not pre-diluted)
A few drops of iodine.
95/5 water/antifreeze, if no aluminum.

Waterlogged
03-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Air sensitive. Warning! Harmful if swallowed. Causes digestive and respiratory tract irritation with possible burns. Causes eye and skin irritation and possible burns. Hygroscopic. Mutagen. Possible sensitizer.

A few drops of iodine.

:eek: That's in the stuff I use. Not really worried though as I'm very careful with the stuff.

Boogerlad
03-03-2008, 01:48 PM
another biocide is a small piece of silver

andressergio
03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Hey

Ok I got the destilled water, i disacarded the ide of using the prepared solution for car rads (de-ionized water...)

I got the anti algae (Copper Sulfate based)

The antifreeze i don't find...No G11 Pentosin around here, any other i can use ??

Cheers
Sergio

taowulf
03-03-2008, 01:57 PM

A few drops of iodine.

Mutagen? Keep it away from baby turtles.

Waterlogged
03-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Mutagen? Keep it away from baby turtles.

:ROTF:

Sparda
03-03-2008, 02:45 PM
@andressergio

I guess it hard or impposible to find pentosin or zerex in Uruguay like most of user here use.

Basicly they are antifrezee/corosion for the car and used in the car long before we use on watercooling pc.

Just find any car shop. They usually sell a greeny antifrezee/corrosion for the car radiator. They behave same as pentosin or zerex,

Just dont overdo for your loop. Basicly they sacrifice some thermal properties of water.
One more keep it away from kids or animal. They very harmfull if swallow. And disposed them properly.:)

andressergio
03-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Any other options on the antifreeze ? Here i can find a lot of brands, from MOTUL to AMALIE, etc
Do I have to see if it's not pre-diluted ? as billb say ?

Cheers
Sergio

andressergio
03-03-2008, 02:48 PM
@andressergio

I guess it hard or impposible to find pentosin or zerex in Uruguay like most of user here use.

Basicly they are antifrezee/corosion for the car and used in the car long before we use on watercooling pc.

Just find any car shop. They usually sell a greeny antifrezee/corrosion for the car radiator. They behave same as pentosin or zerex,

Just dont overdo for your loop. Basicly they sacrifice some thermal properties of water.
One more keep it away from kids or animal. They very harmfull if swallow. And disposed them properly.:)

Thanks man

is it 10% of antifreeze + 90% destilled water + few drops of anti algae ?? this is the correct formula ?

Cheers
Sergio

Xilikon
03-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Don't bother with the antifreeze since you don't mix metals. Just water + biocide.

Sparda
03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
It true he already said that above. Maybe he just want to be safe. That 10% we are not sure. Just read the back label of the product.
But honestly no need for antifrezee/corrosion if your loop have copper , brass and nickel/chrome.

NysoO
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm using anti-freeze glycol (blue, nice looking stuff) + destilled water and some drops of PT_nuke (Which is a copper-sulfate based anti algea). The water / glycol mixture is bout 92/8, in order to try to keep the thermal properties of the water as much as possible.
Previously I used the stock top for my GTX, but it ended up corroding and making my whole loop look green / gray of particles. Now with this mixture the water has stayed 100% clear for like two months or so.
This is what the mixture looks like:
http://www.sweclockers.com/upload/gallery/8236-full.jpg

Boogerlad
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
isn't there aluminum in pumps?

andressergio
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Hey guys you're great amazing and fast help ever :up:

In wich case do I have to take care of mixing metals ? wich parts for ex ?

I read all my parts and just copper, i don't know inside the D5 pump, but any other part is copper

Cheers ;)
Sergio

NysoO
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Don't think you have any aluminum in the pump. So you should be safe with some distilled water + a few drops of anti algea. On the other hand, you may wanna be on the safe side and mix a little with glycol. It doesn't hurt.

andressergio
03-03-2008, 03:53 PM
As i read on many anti freeze bottles, it is composed of 30% water and the rest 70% gylcol.

Sergio

andressergio
03-03-2008, 04:36 PM
30-70 mix is for maxium freeze point

you only 5-10% for home use (non-freeze room)

should use propylene glycol in the home, less toxic then EG type

prestone LowTox is PG type

I mean that the bottle comes 30% water 70% glycol..i didn't find a pure one to then make my mix...

Sergio