PDA

View Full Version : Alienware Laptop

darkorb
02-29-2008, 11:10 PM
My friend has an older Alienware laptop. 17", P4 3ghz HT, 2gb ram, Go 6800

Few things, he says the comp is compeltely busted so he went out and bought a new rig, so i wanted to take that laptop off his hands (it weighs a good 10lbs atleast)

Now, It artifacts, words and all messed up in bios, loading screen etc.

I go into safemode and try to dl the newest drivers and try to underclock the card (3/4 times i get in w/o it blue screening)

Now, iv searched but i cannot find working drivers for this. They dont seem to be supported anymore.

I tried installing rivatuner to underclock, but it says driver missing and cant do it or along those lines.

Now, In safe mode everything has purple dots, lines etc.. so i no its the gfx card.

I then tried to reformat it, but whenevr the process is about to begin, the comp blue screens every time. I have no idea, its a shame to see this older beast go to waste, i would buy if off him for $100 if i could fix it, but things are looking very grim

Ideas?

s1nykuL
03-01-2008, 01:22 AM
This sounds like a video memory problem/dry joint. So it depends on vid card in lappy, is it integrated into the mobo? or is it an add on card? Check out the Alienware website for the specs of the laptop or contact support to find out. If it is a card then it can be replaced.

SamHughe
03-01-2008, 01:39 AM
It's not integrated. Get one of these for dirt cheap and try to install it yourself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NVIDIA-Geforce-Go-6800-Ultra-XPS-Gen2-M170-or-Inspiron_W0QQitemZ170197205675QQihZ007QQcategoryZ5 1162QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid= p1638.m122