PDA

View Full Version : cant get a mobile 3700 off 800MHZ?

FatRakoon
02-17-2008, 09:19 AM
I have a Newcastle 3000 thats been running nicely in a DFI LanParty Motherboard for a couple of years now.
I have just got hold of a Mobile 3700 and I cannot get it to run at anything other than 800MHZ

The Specs of the system are :-

DFI LanParty UT 250GB ( NForce 3 - Socket 754 )
Mobile ClawHammer 3700
2x512MB Corsair XMS3500
Radeon 9800Pro
SBLive 1024
80GB Seagate IDE
LG DVDROM

Now, up until 3 days ago, it has been rock solid and running a Newcastle 3000 at 2.4Ghz

I saw the 3700 and jumped at it... I planned to run it stock, but naturally it would have the 1MB cache instead of the Newcastle's 512K one... Small boost, but a usefull one.

The thing is that the CPU will only seem to run at 800Mhz and nothign I do will get it to play at 2.4 or 2.2?

In fact, I cannot even get it to anything except 800MHZ

Now, Im no overclocking pro by any stretch, but I know what needs to be done... I have a stupid number of PCs, this one is my 10 year old daughters PC, and my own are all overclocked to some stupidly dangerous levels so I know the basics for sure, but Im completely lost on this CPU... Is it bust? I simply dont know?

Ok, let me also inform you of a couple of things...

1 - on a BIOS reset, its showing up as 4x200 @ 0.9v
This is the 2.4Ghz CPU and so, at 2.4Ghz, it should be 12x200 @ 1.5v and yet even if I try to up the volts by jusy 0.1 of a volt, the PC wont boot? - I have not touched anything else by the way... BIOS reset ,then up the CPU to 1.0v and it wont boot????

No matter what I do to the BIOS, if I change any of the CPUs settings, it fails???

So, I am thinking that maybe I need to change the lot?

But then what are they?

CPU Multi to 11 and 12, Volts to 1.5, RAM/FSB @ 200, HTT to 4x and so on, but nothing... It starts then after a few seconds it shuts down, or I just get a black screen.

BIOS reset and im back in, but still at 800MHZ???

Anyone got any experience similar to this?

Last Mobile CPU I had was the XP2500 and that just went to 2.8 with very little issues and hit 3 on a good day, but this... Its just ridiculous!

Many thanks in advance.

bigdaddy25fb
02-20-2008, 06:05 AM
Do you have the latest BIOS update for the board? And have you searched around here, I seem to remember some other threads relating to this. I would really believe though that your problem stems from the fact that you threw a mobile chip with power management on it into a desktop board with a BIOS that doesn't recognize how to handle the chip.

i found nemo
03-01-2008, 09:28 AM
sounds like you need to sand off the nubs on the heat sink bracket ( yellow plasitc thing ) cuz it's not making contact with the proc. i had the same problem with my old 3000+ claw hammer mobile that i got from enjoy. it keeps turning off cuz it's a safety feature of the mobo even if it's disabled ;)

edit -

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67415