PDA

View Full Version : Help with ga-p35-ds4 raid0 install

franksnb
02-16-2008, 08:48 AM
hi guys this is my first post but i've been a member for a while. i post over at the futuremark forum under the same name if any of you post there.

it goes like this:

i cannot get the windows xp installation to recognise my sata disks!

i have the f11 bios, i have the disk needed with jraid etc.. on it.

normally with other motherboards you stick the driver in (f6) make one partition on the raid disk and format that. do my disks need to be formatted before i start the windows xp installation? im quite sure you don't but there is no harm in asking.

is there some setting in the bios i should be using? other than the obvious ones. i have done the raid setup and all that jazz after the post screen.

HELP im going nuts! atm im running in ide mode lol.

franksnb
02-16-2008, 10:31 AM
okay well i installed the intel raid drivers in the xp install because they allowed my disks to be seen and the gigabite ones didn't.

my problem now is that i get that auto recognise thing every start up.

can i change my raid drivers to gigabyte now that windows is up and running?

franksnb
02-16-2008, 05:07 PM
okay well i installed the intel raid drivers in the xp install because they allowed my disks to be seen and the gigabite ones didn't.

my problem now is that i get that auto recognise thing every start up.
can i change my raid drivers to gigabyte now that windows is up and running?

anyone?

Lestat
02-16-2008, 11:37 PM
what do you mean by auto recognise ?

dont install the gigabyte drivers unless they are the jmicron drivers which isnt possible as the jmicron only handles the eSATA

all you need are the intel raid drivers or AHCI drivers.

if you are not using RAID then you do NOT need any drivers.
turn AHCI off as there is no advantage to AHCI. not in XP atleast.
vista and linux or mac osx might use it more but i dont think xp really does anything differently.

so to recap, turn off raid if your not using raid, turn off ahci.
then you dont need any drivers.
the sata ports are ICH9R not JMicron.
turn off the jmicron controller in the bios is your not using the eSATA port on the back of your pc.

i do not recall but the jmicron MIGHT control the ide port for cdroms,, it might but i do not recall, and even if it does its a legacy device and doesnt need any drivers.

otherwise grab the intel raid drivers off the intel site or grab the intel F6 Raid/AHCI drivers off gigabytes site. remember raid for raid, ahci for ahci.

franksnb
02-17-2008, 09:24 AM
hey mate thanks for the reply the problem was that i did not relise that the puple ports are for gigabyte sata/raid and the orange ports are for intel raid!!

the reason windows didn't recognise jraid when i was installing was because i was using the intel sata ports, d'oh.

so atm im using intel sata/raid in the orange ports, if i disable the purple ports my system freezes after the post, even though they have nothing in them. my dvdrw is in the ide port i think that it's controlled by jmicron.

so i leave the jmicron enabled in ide mode and i get the auto recognise thing every boot up.

has anyone encountered this problem?

cheers