PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Noctua NF-P12 currently in use?

iandh
02-12-2008, 10:31 PM
I am considering springing $60 eventually and grabbing three for my MCR320... I have it mounted horizontally and having to oil my yates every few weeks irritates me. Additionally, the yates are very reasonably quiet, but they aren't quite as smooth as I would like, presumably due to the poor casting quality of the blades; there is a sharp lip on the trailing edges. I'm sure I could help it with a dremel, but that still doesn't eliminate the sleeve bearings.

They also have some harmonic interplay when running full speed, they all turn at slightly different speeds and cause a whooooom... whooooom... whooooom... type of undertone which I don't particularly care for.

Also, disturbingly enough I am attracted to the noctua's color scheme. :shrug:

Waterlogged
02-12-2008, 10:40 PM

:shocked: I'm not sure if "disturbingly" is a strong enough word, maybe "staggeringly" or "frightfully" would be better choices? :shrug: :ROTF:

iandh
02-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Wow, they're getting rather scathing reviews over at silentpcreview: :eek:

NaeKuh
02-12-2008, 11:09 PM
They also have some harmonic interplay when running full speed, they all turn at slightly different speeds and cause a whooooom... whooooom... whooooom... type of undertone which I don't particularly care for.

:rofl: :rofl: :ROTF: :rofl:

The old ones blow in aspect to static pressure. The new ones i hear are much better because they fixed the blades.

Iandy so far i think these would be the best horizontal mounted fans. Unfortunately they dont push a lot of air. But i guarentee, you'll never have to oil anything on this:

http://www.jab-tech.com/Enermax-Marathon-UC-12-EB-pr-3506.html

Oh btw, the fan blade comes right out for easy cleaning. Its a mag levi, kinda the same principle as a floating world globe thingy.

iandh
02-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Hmmmm, those do look interesting... airflow shouldn't be too much of an issue because I am running cpu only on my MCR320, I'm sure even 30CFM would be sufficient. I don't plan on adding anything else to the loop atm.

NaeKuh
02-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Hmmmm, those do look interesting... airflow shouldn't be too much of an issue because I am running cpu only on my MCR320, I'm sure even 30CFM would be sufficient. I don't plan on adding anything else to the loop atm.

then yeah, cuz if you had it blow upwards, and it was top mounted, when you wanted to clean the radiator, all you need to do is pop the fans blades out, and clean the fan blades, and then blow air into the radiator without the blades catching the dust.

Pop them back on, and your good to go.

Heres a better newegg picture of what i mean:
http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-999-099-06.jpg

Its a little cheaper at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999099&Tpk=UC-12%2bEB

iandh
02-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Here's a new one from enermax that uses the same bearing:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/3890/fanmagma1biggn2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Interesting... I guess that they are supposed to be on their way to the states sometime soon.

NaeKuh
02-12-2008, 11:33 PM
heheh... yeah im going to use 3 marthons on my next build for the top mounted radiator. I hear yates die like that.

This way i can just mount it and forget it. :T

Vapor
02-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Wow, they're getting rather scathing reviews over at silentpcreview: :eek:Indeed they are.

Rather interesting, IMO.

Conumdrum
02-12-2008, 11:53 PM
It's gotta be good, they use nano! Nano what? Well looks like an intersteing new tech fan, very cool. Wish my pump was quieter, it's by far the loudest in my system. Yea I'm being picky....

turtletrax
02-12-2008, 11:57 PM
Indeed they are.

Rather interesting, IMO.

Would love to get your opinion on the Noctua.

LMK if you want a donation to help grab a couple. They were on my list of fans to get for my rads.

NaeKuh
02-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Indeed they are.

Rather interesting, IMO.

ahhh i was hoping you would see it.

yes yes you need to do testing on the marathon fan! :yepp:

i begged cathar to add one, but i think he couldnt find one cheap on his side. :\

I would love to see how it would work on a PA120.3

According to all the newegg reviews, they all agree on 1 thing, its dead silent.

Vapor
02-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Would love to get your opinion on the Noctua.

LMK if you want a donation to help grab a couple. They were on my list of fans to get for my rads.No need for the fans...won't be starting the tests for a couple months regardless.

ahhh i was hoping you would see it.

yes yes you need to do testing on the marathon fan! :yepp:

i begged cathar to add one, but i think he couldnt find one cheap on his side. :\

I would love to see how it would work on a PA120.3

According to all the newegg reviews, they all agree on 1 thing, its dead silent.Marathon is in my recent review. I do not agree that it's dead silent. Yes, quiet, but for the amount of noise it makes, it doesn't push much air....and even then it doesn't get as quiet as some other fans with undervolting. Noise profile is decent though....but it acts really weirdly in some positions and is a mediocre fan overall--very forgettable.

Origin_Unknown
02-13-2008, 02:18 AM
Wow, they're getting rather scathing reviews over at silentpcreview: :eek:

bah...i just bought 6 for my case :( hardwarecannucks like them?

also im happy with the one that im using on my TRUE

Xilikon
02-13-2008, 05:36 AM
If you are talking about a forum member testing the NF-P12 with a filter, I find it a bit useless because it's not really the same as a radiator or heatsink. the filter reduce airflow entering the fan, not backpressure so it is working hard to suck air.

septim
02-13-2008, 06:33 AM
like too weak for filtered intake, but good enough for exhaust? $20 exhaust fan...

sflex sounds decent enough top mounted...

Xilikon
02-13-2008, 06:53 AM
Yes, a SFlex SFF21F is a sure bet.

iandh
02-13-2008, 08:38 AM
No need for the fans...won't be starting the tests for a couple months regardless.

Marathon is in my recent review. I do not agree that it's dead silent. Yes, quiet, but for the amount of noise it makes, it doesn't push much air....and even then it doesn't get as quiet as some other fans with undervolting. Noise profile is decent though....but it acts really weirdly in some positions and is a mediocre fan overall--very forgettable.

What would you recommend for a horizontal mount radiator fan if silence is valued over airflow? I'm having trouble finding the "perfect" fan for the job.

Yes, a SFlex SFF21F is a sure bet.

I tried an S-flex about a year ago, and was VERY underwhelmed. The fan was decently quiet, but it had a loud "Tick Tick Tick Tick" when running, a motor noise that I have seen reported by others as well. Do you think this was just a temporary manufacturing issue, or bad luck?

NaeKuh
02-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Vapor what about the scythe kaze's that everyone is raving about?

the 38mm scythe fans?

sanhacker
02-13-2008, 11:00 AM
I tried an S-flex about a year ago, and was VERY underwhelmed. The fan was decently quiet, but it had a loud "Tick Tick Tick Tick" when running, a motor noise that I have seen reported by others as well. Do you think this was just a temporary manufacturing issue, or bad luck?

Interesting. I'm using six S-Flex SFF21F and not a tick or tock out of any of them. Their speed varies based on CPU/GPU temps from about 70-100% via bigNG. No abnormal noises at any of these speeds.

iandh
02-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Interesting. I'm using six S-Flex SFF21F and not a tick or tock out of any of them. Their speed varies based on CPU/GPU temps from about 70-100% via bigNG. No abnormal noises at any of these speeds.

We ordered four at my work to replace various fans in workstations here, and three of the four had the ticking noise. Needless to say I was NOT happy for having spent $70 on fans that tick. Several reveiwers on newegg commented on it over a period of several months as well.

Probably a temporary manufacturing error.

C'DaleRider
02-13-2008, 08:22 PM
I've got six S-Flex fans in use in the house.....three "E" and three "F" fans....none have any sort of tick sound when running. Just the opposite, they're all very, very quiet even at full speed.

Been nothing but completely satisfied and happy with the S-Flex series of fans...and I've played with tons of fans. Got a stack of 9 different 120mm fans I'll never use again due to the S-Flex fans being so darned good.

Vapor
02-13-2008, 09:03 PM
What would you recommend for a horizontal mount radiator fan if silence is valued over airflow? I'm having trouble finding the "perfect" fan for the job.

I tried an S-flex about a year ago, and was VERY underwhelmed. The fan was decently quiet, but it had a loud "Tick Tick Tick Tick" when running, a motor noise that I have seen reported by others as well. Do you think this was just a temporary manufacturing issue, or bad luck?I think those S-Flex were bad luck...most everyone who has bought one recently loves them. Other options if you want to avoid sleeve bearings are the Minebeas, P12s, and ball-bearing 'meh' fans like the Tri-Cools (and CoolerMaster just came out with some too...).

the 38mm scythe fans?No clue...design looks like it's built for radiators/HSFs, but can't say much more than that simply because I don't know.

cegras
02-13-2008, 10:34 PM

the 38mm scythe fans?

Ultra Sleeve, you mean?

bf2142lol
02-14-2008, 02:59 AM
Well the colour is more interesting than most of the monotone generics getting around, would match "some" case colour schemes, but not many.

Aerou
02-14-2008, 03:05 AM
We ordered four at my work to replace various fans in workstations here, and three of the four had the ticking noise. Needless to say I was NOT happy for having spent $70 on fans that tick. Several reveiwers on newegg commented on it over a period of several months as well.

Probably a temporary manufacturing error.

where and how were the fans mounted? maybe I can help, because a had a ticking problem myself, but it wasn't a problem of the fans really ...

AndyM
02-14-2008, 08:45 AM
That SPCR testing is making my head swim. I'm kinda leery about that 'foam' filter as well. Need some XS style tests on it.

Origin_Unknown
02-14-2008, 08:57 AM
mine are ace... two are behind fan filters. they might be slightly louder than the stock lian-li crop but they are better