PDA

View Full Version : Sort of Warm boot issue, new one to me.

Jakalwarrior
02-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I have this odd issue where when you restart, either with the button on the case or in windows, it boots up veeeerrryyy slow. Takes 10 mins for windows to load and then its painfully slow. Power off then back on, all nice and speedy again. I also noticed when I updated my bios that Asus added a feature where when you save / exit, the board powers completely down for about 3 seconds then turns back on (too bad they didnt add that to restarting from windows). With the previous bios I kept thinking I was unstable after changing things and spent hours farting around only to find out that any time the machine didnt totally power down, its going to run like total crap and not load windows. Anyone ever had a warm boot issue like this?

This board is still pretty new (M3A) and asus isn't the best about bios support so ive already accepted it as something annoying im going to have to live with. If im missing some sort of easy cure here though, please let me know!

Jakalwarrior
02-15-2008, 08:08 PM
Ok no one has an ideas? this is annoying as crap. Pretty much every time I restart it takes me atleast 2 tries. Seems that sometimes it can do the crap even when you did use the PSU to cut it off.

KTE
02-15-2008, 09:50 PM
I have this odd issue where when you restart, either with the button on the case or in windows, it boots up veeeerrryyy slow. Takes 10 mins for windows to load and then its painfully slow. Power off then back on, all nice and speedy again.10mins? :confused:

Honestly time it. 10 minutes is too long even for a borked Windows. I thinking it would be more like 3 minutes maximum for a v. bad install.

However, at what stage does it take longest? Have you ran Bootvis to see this? This is what we need to know. ;)

By your comment on switch off and on and it gets better, that would seem either a BIOS issue (call delay) or a hardware device issue (mainly seeking/initiating) and not the OS itself (OS can't load quick at one time and slow the one after).

I also noticed when I updated my bios that Asus added a feature where when you save / exit, the board powers completely down for about 3 seconds then turns back on (too bad they didnt add that to restarting from windows). With the previous bios I kept thinking I was unstable after changing things and spent hours farting around only to find out that any time the machine didnt totally power down, its going to run like total crap and not load windows. Anyone ever had a warm boot issue like this?This happens with the RD790+Phenom installed too but not with X2 installed. It's mainly HT/IMC dependent with the RD790 boards, if it's unstable, high or memory is low latency/high speeds, you wait for a long while for it to boot past POST. Sometimes it would take 4-5 tries and it would require resets because a quick power off and on would not reset the settings. This is even with 100% prime stable settings and 50MH HT below that.

IMHO these are mainly BIOS problems and CPU independent. Our (MSI RD790) new BIOSes hardly feature this problem now but the earlier ones did severely. That's why I had stated the Phenom system is the most weirdest I've ever seen... acted very strange and inconsistent, I even saw flashes of some screens after POST that I had not seen or expected before.

M4D_H4773R
02-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Hdd?

Jakalwarrior
02-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Hard drive appears to be doing fine no error codes. I did try updating to a newer bios but that makes my overclock go to total crap (drops me from 2.9ghz down to 2.5ghz) and still has the warm boot issue :( It does seem though that the longer the power stays off the more likely it will be to cruise right on in to windows instead of doing the super slow thing. You are right though, its nothing to do with windows. It does the same thing in XP and Vista even after a fresh install.