PDA

View Full Version : on a 680i what is an acceptable MCP temp.

the highlander
02-10-2008, 03:54 PM
I have my CPU q6600 g0 watercooled with a fuzion, nozzled. A MCR320 and an mcp655 pump. 1/2 tubing and the rad has good airflow. My case is a lian li pc60 usb. The radiator is external.

I have a decent watercooled rig.

Anyways... I am runing 1.45v on the CPU oC to 3.7GHz. Temps can rise to around 55-60C with ambient temps of 32C approx.

Its more or less stable. Not 100% prime.. but it doesn't bother for games or any other problem.

I still feel that my MCP is holding me back... Voltages on the MB are through the roof. This is an A1 motherboard....

What is an acceptable temp for the MCP and southbridge? I have an evga cooler on both the mcp and sb.

Thoughts and opinions? i owuld love to reach 4GHz with this.

NaeKuh
02-10-2008, 04:02 PM
board is shakey at best once you go higher voltage. Its not a very good endurence board.

But i watercooled it, and it kept it fairly cool. A MCW30 would fit on it, and not hurt flow too much. Also its cheap as heck.

But on water i remember i was pulling around 44C.. on air, i dont remember, but yeah that sucker gets HOT.

biglipzit
02-10-2008, 04:42 PM
My board has a 650i and i think it is crazy that mobo manufacturers would leave anything that hot to be passive cooled! I swear my computer would be dead if i didn't have a fan on it and i am sure my 30 degree C ambient temps year long in the Caribbean doesn't help!

the highlander
02-10-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm on the caribbean also.

Martinm210
02-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Most people run in the lower 50's stock, here are my results with some different options:

http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/img/DangerDen-MPC-Universal-Thermal2jpg.jpg

What's worse is the temperature is for the southbridge, yet the northbridge is really the hot one...probably twice the heat or more than the SB.

biglipzit
02-10-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm on the Caribbean also.

Where in the Caribbean?

I just bought a Maze 4 for the 680i from eBay for $3 but i hope it works with the new 750i board i have coming. Can't overclock with my old board but definitely need to cool the NB since i heard the 7 series are hotter than the 6 series nforce chips.

pika198
02-10-2008, 07:20 PM
my northbridge was pushing 86c+ on load while oced and keep in mind no voltage settings were messed with. I added an mcw30 on both north and south bridge and my nb is about 43c now on load and sb is 38c

Martinm210
02-10-2008, 08:45 PM
my northbridge was pushing 86c+ on load while oced and keep in mind no voltage settings were messed with. I added an mcw30 on both north and south bridge and my nb is about 43c now on load and sb is 38c

What did you use to measure the NB? Or is there a probe on the new revisions these days?

That's TOASTY...but I'm not suprised.

NaeKuh
02-10-2008, 08:51 PM
What did you use to measure the NB? Or is there a probe on the new revisions these days?

That's TOASTY...but I'm not suprised.

martin once you start adding some voltage, it gets hot very fast...

Which is why i almost cryed when you said you couldnt do my 780i nb. :[

Now i have to wait for the EK solution of ask iandh if he can fabricate me something.

Martinm210
02-10-2008, 08:57 PM
martin once you start adding some voltage, it gets hot very fast...

Which is why i almost cryed when you said you couldnt do my 780i nb. :[

Now i have to wait for the EK solution of ask iandh if he can fabricate me something.

Wow, I just never measure the NB, might have to see if I can slip a Dallas sensor under the block somehow...:D

Sorry about the block, it would have been a fun project..just not enough time.

I guess that's why I work for the government...I'm too slow...:D

Jedda
02-11-2008, 03:09 AM
I still feel that my MCP is holding me back... Voltages on the MB are through the roof. This is an A1 motherboard....

What is an acceptable temp for the MCP and southbridge? I have an evga cooler on both the mcp and sb.

T.

MCP = south bridge
SPP = north bridge
There is no on board SPP / north bridge sensor.
With 30°C ambient, EK blocks on the board and an undersrtessed rad mine are around 40°C for MCP and motherboard temp (sensor between cpu socket and ram slots)
So you can cool this board down if its important enough to you or you happen to already have a bit of kit lying around.