PDA

View Full Version : have i got a virus?

rashio
08-18-2003, 04:51 AM
hi,
on my pc i have win xp and for some reason my pc restarts just after i have turned it on?
the pc turns on then this screen comes up with a little count down from a minute then the pc just switches off?

is there some way for my to get rid of this error or virus?

thanks for your help

Peckers
08-18-2003, 06:50 AM
I would guess that you have caught an early version of the W32.Blaster.Worm (also called Blaster, LovSan or Posa)

Go to the command line interface by clicking on the Start button and selecting Run. Type "command" and click OK.

At the command prompt, type "shutdown -a" (without quotes). This orders the computer to abort shutdown.

Then you can press ctrl+alt+delete and look if there is any processes running that you do not recognise, look for "w32blaster", blaster or similar.

go to Windows update and download updates, instructions on how to remove the worm can be found on the first page.

Run your antivirus tools to make sure you're system is clean. If you don't have one, you can use http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Good Luck

rashio
08-18-2003, 11:18 AM
thank you for your help ;)

i did what u sed and i have got rid of it and installed norton internet security.

thanks again

Peckers
08-18-2003, 02:08 PM
glad to help :)
the newer versions of the blaster worm can be quite nasty since it can carry a "payload" that destroys files while it's taking over computers.

got to have a good firewall, antivirus and keep you OS updated these days to feel relatively safe :mad: