PDA

View Full Version : 360 or PS3?

Peakr
02-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Ok I love a good fps and I don't play MMO's anymore (way too addicting).Played them all but lately I've been missing the driving, sports, and fighting games that you just don't get on the puter anymore. Plus it looks like the Force Unleashed won't make it to pc. Just looking for some advice on which console would be the better choice overall. Not interested in extra's like Blue ray or HD.

kodiak kid
02-09-2008, 01:52 AM

Scubar
02-09-2008, 03:16 AM
Id say 360 for now then PS3 when its chepaer and GT:HD comes out.

munim
02-09-2008, 09:24 AM
I'd say PS3 for the reliability factor, and there are some excellent games out for it like Uncharted, Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Ninja Gaiden..The 360 has more games, and perhaps more excellent ones, but there are some really good titles coming for the PS3 this year ( been saying that for a couple of years now but I think it'll actually happen this time around, hehe).

yaddam205
02-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Xbox360 for now, if your want a PS3 wait for the model refresh.

I have a 360 but I can see myself buying a PS3 once it gets a few more games, DualShock3, and isn't the size of your common whale.

Atrin
02-09-2008, 12:05 PM
ps3

irev210
02-09-2008, 02:23 PM
I'd say PS3 for the reliability factor, and there are some excellent games out for it like Uncharted, Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Ninja Gaiden..The 360 has more games, and perhaps more excellent ones, but there are some really good titles coming for the PS3 this year ( been saying that for a couple of years now but I think it'll actually happen this time around, hehe).

i agree

PS3 is built like a tank. Sony KNOWS how to build a console.

Some other things to consider-

XBOX360 wireless upgrade = 100 bucks
XBOX live =50ish a year

two things that you get with the PS3 for free

There are a lot of advantages that the PS3 has that are often overlooked. I think if PS3 does hit the 299 price point I'd definitely get one.

Peakr
02-09-2008, 02:38 PM
XBOX live =50ish a year

Can that be right? Also, how do the graphics compare between the two. I've heard 360's are a little better. 50$ a year for subscription doesn't sound too bad. I'm also concerned about the rrod I keep hearing about.

YukonTrooper
02-09-2008, 05:43 PM
360 by far. Unless you are buying an old, used unit, the reliability issues have been all but completely dealt with. The game library and online capabilities leave the PS3 behind. 50$ a year for Live is nothing, considering the PS3's online platform is crippled compared to the 360's. It doesn't even come close.

zanzabar
02-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Can that be right? Also, how do the graphics compare between the two. I've heard 360's are a little better. 50$ a year for subscription doesn't sound too bad. I'm also concerned about the rrod I keep hearing about.

teh 360 has better grafix on some games when the 360 is ported to teh ps3 and some are better on the ps3 it just matters how it was codded, but the ps3 has more power than the 360 with the cell

i would go for the ps3 since the exclusive titles are better and most 360 games that u would want are for both. and i like the sony controller better

WesM63
02-09-2008, 06:25 PM
I started with the 360 and i like it. Picked up a PS3 lastnight, great system as well.

Just figure out what games you want to play. If if they are exclusive to either console. That should help you decide.

Soulburner
02-09-2008, 10:20 PM
360 by far. Unless you are buying an old, used unit, the reliability issues have been all but completely dealt with.
Not true at all. The failure rate has been reduced but the problem remains. Even new ones are still dying.

teh 360 has better grafix on some games when the 360 is ported to teh ps3 and some are better on the ps3 it just matters how it was codded, but the ps3 has more power than the 360 with the cell
Right. The PS3 got a bad rep from the start due to developers porting games and not taking the time necessary to make the PS3 shine. It also got a bad rep in graphical comparisons due to shoddy reviewing methods. Games will look exactly the same between the two with the PS3 having greater potential.

NickS
02-09-2008, 11:00 PM
PS3. 2008 is the year for the PS3 to shine. :)

YukonTrooper
02-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Not true at all. The failure rate has been reduced but the problem remains. Even new ones are still dying.
Much less common. Plus Microsoft will just replace any broken 360 without hesitation. Their warranty is solid.

I'd take the PS3 if you plan on watching high def movies though.

Peakr
02-10-2008, 12:39 AM
LoL. Now I'm confused more than before. Guess it's going to come down to which exclusive titles I like more. Not a big fan of halo I have to say. As I said before I'm not interested in a Hi-Def player. Probably end up getting a blue ray for the home theater later in the year after the war settles down. Thanks for the input guys.

Paladin
02-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Friend of mine gets every console the day they are released. We play the 360 and Wii the most. PS3 is only really used as a streaming media player through the wi-fi.

Soulburner
02-10-2008, 07:06 PM
As I said before I'm not interested in a Hi-Def player. Probably end up getting a blue ray for the home theater later in the year after the war settles down. Thanks for the input guys.
So you're not interested in Hi-Def but you're getting Blu-ray? :confused:

Peakr
02-10-2008, 11:10 PM
So you're not interested in Hi-Def but you're getting Blu-ray? :confused:

Don't want a Hi-def player for an xbox or ps3. I have a pretty sweet home theater so when the war ends I'll pick up a blue-ray. I'm still contemplating a combo for my htpc but I really don't want to buy any HD-DVD movies and get stuck not being able to play them later on.

RAW-Raptor22
02-10-2008, 11:27 PM
i agree

PS3 is built like a tank. Sony KNOWS how to build a console.

Some other things to consider-

XBOX live =50ish a year

two things that you get with the PS3 for free

There are a lot of advantages that the PS3 has that are often overlooked. I think if PS3 does hit the 299 price point I'd definitely get one.

Dont forget Blu-ray... :)

Soulburner
02-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Don't want a Hi-def player for an xbox or ps3. I have a pretty sweet home theater so when the war ends I'll pick up a blue-ray. I'm still contemplating a combo for my htpc but I really don't want to buy any HD-DVD movies and get stuck not being able to play them later on.
I don't get it. Why not just get the PS3 then? If you are going to own a Blu-ray player later on you may as well. Owning both would be a huge waste of money, especially since you can't update the standalone in the future.

Peakr
02-11-2008, 05:23 PM
I don't get it. Why not just get the PS3 then? If you are going to own a Blu-ray player later on you may as well. Owning both would be a huge waste of money, especially since you can't update the standalone in the future.

I disagree. I wouldn't buy a ps3 to perform that function. Most of my home theater equipment is high end and when I get a blue-ray player it will be as well. Besides I've been hearing some rumblings of a new BR standard on the horizon. Be unfortunate if you couldn't play the new standard on your old ps3.

brandinb
02-11-2008, 07:56 PM
the ps3 is the best blu-ray player currently so....

i dont see the point of the xbox 360 if you have a pc because most of the games are on pc if they are on xbox. get ps3 for the console exclusives.

two systems get 90% of games

Peakr
02-11-2008, 10:06 PM

I seriously doubt that.

YukonTrooper
02-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Not really. From a future compatibility standpoint it's the best (right now), but from a video and audio quality standpoint it's not.

I'm sure if Peakr is after high-end gear, then he is after high quality video and audio.

Soulburner
02-12-2008, 03:01 AM
I disagree. I wouldn't buy a ps3 to perform that function. Most of my home theater equipment is high end and when I get a blue-ray player it will be as well. Besides I've been hearing some rumblings of a new BR standard on the horizon. Be unfortunate if you couldn't play the new standard on your old ps3.
The PS3 is updated regularly...the standalone is not. That is my point.

I seriously doubt that.
It is.

Not really. From a future compatibility standpoint it's the best (right now), but from a video and audio quality standpoint it's not.

I'm sure if Peakr is after high-end gear, then he is after high quality video and audio.
What would affect audio and video quality? Nothing...you have HDMI out for the video and audio, or optical for the audio. The console isn't doing anything to the sound, so what's the problem?

Peakr
02-12-2008, 03:29 AM
What would affect audio and video quality? Nothing...you have HDMI out for the video and audio, or optical for the audio. The console isn't doing anything to the sound, so what's the problem?

If thats true then why would sony bother to sell this (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665227485&storeId=10151). And why would Denon sell this (http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3749.asp). If all you needed was a ps3 for maximum video & sound seems like sony would be kind of stupid to try and sell anything else. But seriously I didn't want to start any arguments here. Just looking for some friendly advice on what people thought about gaming consoles. I'll say it again. I'm not interested in a hi-def player to go along with my xbox or ps3. When the hi-def war ends and the new blu-ray standard comes out then I'll worry about getting a player.

Soulburner
02-12-2008, 04:24 PM
The Sony BD player has long been regarded as a strategic move. Ever notice it was released around the time of the PS3? Being priced in that range makes the PS3 look all the more attractive. It's strategic marketing, and it works. It also works for the consumer - if you can get so much more in one box for the same price or less, there is really no further decision to make.

YukonTrooper
02-12-2008, 04:37 PM
The PS3 is comparable to current generation Blu-Ray players, but it will be outpaced by newer hardware down the road. The argument that "digital is digital" gets blown out of proportion, and people don't realize that internal components play a large part in audio/video quality.

Lestat
02-14-2008, 10:15 AM

actually your a little off there. the console is doing plenty to the sound. it's not a simple pass thru, it still has to decode it, encode it and then convert it to light for optical or something else for whatever audio your outputting.
and the ps3 has EVERYTHING to do with the video.
hdmi cable or component dont mean jack if the onboard video decoder can't decode the video signal. nor does it help if the Blue-ray laser cant handle the disks properly.

neither the 360 or the PS3 have very good HD-DVD or Blue-Ray players in them. that is 100% fact and if you look around you will find tons of comparisons about the two versus set top boxes.
the set top boxes always win, hands down.

#su
02-14-2008, 10:27 AM
yaddam205;2760216']Xbox360 for now, if your want a PS3 wait for the model refresh.

I have a 360 but I can see myself buying a PS3 once it gets a few more games, DualShock3, and isn't the size of your common whale.

isn't the 40GB PS3 the new model?

i have the 40GB PS3 and absolutely love it. Blu-Ray movies FtW

eToh
02-15-2008, 12:01 AM
When the hi-def war ends and the new blu-ray standard comes out then I'll worry about getting a player.

It already has.

Also are you referring to Profile 2.0 ?

Here's an article you might want to read.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080118-new-nlu-ray-2-0-spec-makes-ps3-the-most-future-proof-player.html

Peakr
02-15-2008, 12:25 AM
It already has.

Also are you referring to Profile 2.0 ?

Here's an article you might want to read.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080118-new-nlu-ray-2-0-spec-makes-ps3-the-most-future-proof-player.html

2.0 yes. I think there is still one HD hold out but from what I've been reading should be over by the end of the year. Interesting article.

Kingcarcas
02-15-2008, 04:28 AM
If you have a good gaming PC, PS3. HD movies, games and Folding@Home (if you run it). PS3 is the best BD player out now. Once you add all of that together with free online play and Wi-Fi it's a no brainer. When the $600 was around and Sony screwed everything up i would have said 360, but now there is a $400 model and the 360 has a horrible track record. (oh and you can upgrade the HDD yourself)

Makubex_GB
02-15-2008, 04:53 AM
I have both. I got the 360 first cuz I thought it would be the better console but interestingly enough, I'm liking the PS3 better. I got the PS3 mainly for playing BD, but ended up being my favorite gaming console. :p:

Peakr
02-15-2008, 05:22 AM
Yeah. I'm starting to lean toward the ps3. Looks like you get more bang for your buck. I've heard the controller is a better design as well.

I have both. I got the 360 first cuz I thought it would be the better console but interestingly enough, I'm liking the PS3 better. I got the PS3 mainly for playing BD, but ended up being my favorite gaming console. :p:

Can you be more specific as to why you like it better?

WesM63
02-15-2008, 06:30 AM
I like both of my consoles, however I'm partial to the 360. Mainly because of the wide variety of games and the controller. Its easier on my hands after long periods of time.

Makubex_GB
02-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Can you be more specific as to why you like it better?

Well, first of all, I like its interface much better. The external looks of the console. The controller. Free PS network. Browser capabilities. Ease of changing HDDs, plus the fact that doing so doesn't void your warranty.

Believe it or not, I also like the PS3 titles better. A lot people say the 360 has better games and I think it's mainly do to better First Person Shooters, but I'm not really interested in FPSs in console. To me, FPSs belong to PC. I do play FPS in console sometimes, but it's not what I'm looking for in a console. When I game in console I'm going for other type of games, like Action/Adventure, RPG, etc.

Even in some FPS I prefer the PS3. To me Resistance Fall of Man was more fun than Gears of War. Both are good, though.

That is all besides the awesome fact that the PS3 is an excellent Blu-ray player. ;)

TheOnlyBaD
02-15-2008, 07:27 AM
360 or ps3?

depend:
-if someone gives me a ps3 free ofcourse i would love ps3 and hate 360
-if someone gives me a xbox 360 free ofcourse i would love 360 and hate ps3
-if someone gives me a 360 and a ps3 ofcourse i would love both
:)

irev210
02-15-2008, 08:02 AM
360 by far. Unless you are buying an old, used unit, the reliability issues have been all but completely dealt with. The game library and online capabilities leave the PS3 behind. 50$ a year for Live is nothing, considering the PS3's online platform is crippled compared to the 360's. It doesn't even come close.

According to dailytech, failure rate has been reduced from 30% to ~16%

According to engadget, a warranty service puts failure rate of xbox 360 at ~15% and PS3 at 3%

$50 a year for live is a LOT. If you own the console for 7 years, you are paying $350 for live subscription. You pretty much paid for a XBOX 360 twice. That is a LOT of money.

If you are planning to buy a "next-gen" console that will last ~7 years, you should factor in the total cost of ownership.

Much less common. Plus Microsoft will just replace any broken 360 without hesitation. Their warranty is solid.

I'd take the PS3 if you plan on watching high def movies though.

Yes, they will -- but it is a hassle not having your console, as quoted by consumerist, some people have problems converting/re-setting up their live accounts on the new console because of some DRM bugs

It also SUCKS not having your console for a few weeks while you wait for a refurbished replacement which also has a HIGH probability of failure

Everything you are stating is just your opinion. Why dont you save yourself the antics and just say "I like Xbox 360 vs PS3"

As others have said, look at the games. From a hardware perspective, they PS3 offers a much better bang for buck, and a lower total cost of ownership.

This is from a guy that has a XBOX360 and uses it every day. I love the media center extender functionality :) If PS3 had that, i'd be a PS3 user. Stupid xbox 360 is loud which makes it a not so great extender, but it does the job.

Everyone has different needs, thank goodness there is different products to serve our unique needs.

YukonTrooper
02-15-2008, 11:50 AM

According to engadget, a warranty service puts failure rate of xbox 360 at ~15% and PS3 at 3%

$50 a year for live is a LOT. If you own the console for 7 years, you are paying $350 for live subscription. You pretty much paid for a XBOX 360 twice. That is a LOT of money.

If you are planning to buy a "next-gen" console that will last ~7 years, you should factor in the total cost of ownership.
Like I said, Microsoft has a solid warranty. They replaced our broken unit and we haven't had any problems since. The failure rate is high compared to other consoles, but I'm sure there are more happy 360 owners than not, regardless of having to replace their consoles.

$50 for Live a year is peanuts. If you're spending that much a month on internet and twice as much a month on games, then it really isn't that big of a deal. PS3's online service is childs play compared to Live, and I'll glady play the $50 a year.

And if your truly concerned about total cost of ownership, don't forget the PS3 is an extra $100 right of the bat.

Everything you are stating is just your opinion. Why dont you save yourself the antics and just say "I like Xbox 360 vs PS3".
We owned the PS3 and sold it because we found ourselves playing the 360 much more. The games are better and Live is miles ahead of of the PS3's online capabilities. Go back in this thread and you'll see the people who own/owned both consoles usually prefer the 360. That's a pretty solid statement IMO. And yes, I will say "I like Xbox 360 vs PS3", because that's obvious, but I'll also say why I like it. I'm not a fanboy, because if the PS3 better suited our playing style then my roomates and I would still own one.

As others have said, look at the games. From a hardware perspective, they PS3 offers a much better bang for buck, and a lower total cost of ownership.
If you go back and read my original posts, you'll see that one of my main arguing points for the 360 was the games. The total cost of ownership is only slightly higher if you use Live, and if you don't use Live then the PS3 actually has a total higher cost of ownership.

Everyone has different needs, thank goodness there is different products to serve our unique needs.
Amen. And the 360 serves mine and my roomates much better. Yours as well. :up:

Kingcarcas
02-16-2008, 01:39 AM
Don't forget the games coming out this year TC. PS3 is going to pick it up.

Pub_Randy**
02-17-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm not a big fan of consoles at all, but i think the 360 is growing on me.

Personally i can't tell the difference in their graphics.
XBox Live, simply works.
BluRay is unnecessary and just adds to the already expensive nature of the console.

From what i've seen a console game is a console game, and the PS3 exclusives aren't very exciting unless your a diehard fan (because they are all remakes or sequels)
ANOTHER Metal Gear Solid? Yay. Killzone 2? shiny perhaps but the first one was terrible. Fall of Man was rather boring and Motostorm is very meh.

Soulburner
02-17-2008, 08:59 AM
I'm not a big fan of consoles at all, but i think the 360 is growing on me.

Personally i can't tell the difference in their graphics.
XBox Live, simply works.
BluRay is unnecessary and just adds to the already expensive nature of the console.
Wait a minute. Have you been watching the news? That Blu-ray drive is the very thing that is ensuring Sony's success of the console.

I don't think its unnecessary at all. It allows the product to become a do-all machine that you can make the center of your home theater. Plus who wants to swap discs? 3-DVD games? No thanks, I'll take the one printed on 1 Blu-ray disc. Especially since transfer speeds are so much faster than DVD. The industry is moving on, and DVD is is not adequate for high-definition and next-gen game material (note I say next-gen, not current gen, such as XBox 360 DVD games).

From what i've seen a console game is a console game, and the PS3 exclusives aren't very exciting unless your a diehard fan (because they are all remakes or sequels)
ANOTHER Metal Gear Solid? Yay. Killzone 2? shiny perhaps but the first one was terrible. Fall of Man was rather boring and Motostorm is very meh.
All remakes and sequels huh? Really... (http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?type=games&platform=1028&mode=all&sort=views&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc)

Cupcake
02-17-2008, 02:16 PM
PS3 FTW :)

I have had all of the current gen consoles and I love my PS3 and all my 360 owning friends would kill to trade their 360s for PS3s now that they have played on it :D

ownage
02-17-2008, 04:38 PM
I bought the 360 because...
-i won't use Live
-Who needs Blu-ray
-xbox360 has more games
-the store I bought it sells them with a custom firmware and gives 2 years warranty.

Hopefully mine arrives Tuesday :)

Peakr
02-17-2008, 11:10 PM
I bought the 360 because...
-i won't use Live
-Who needs Blu-ray
-xbox360 has more games
-the store I bought it sells them with a custom firmware and gives 2 years warranty.

Hopefully mine arrives Tuesday :)

Custom Firmware? Thought they banned 360's for that.

YukonTrooper
02-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Only if it's detected, which is highly unlikely. Just make sure to keep the firmware updated.

eXclusive
02-17-2008, 11:56 PM
People keep slamming PS3 for lack of online community/appeal...

last time I checked PS home is pretty near release, expect the online function of the PS3 to improve. Not to mention the PS3 has a couple of not hard-ly touched on enough strongpoints:
Web Browser - So simple, yet the 360 doesn't have it.
Keyboard and Mouse support! - That means yes even in sme games latest ebing UT3 (not a fan but thats besides the point, KB/Mouse will work in future games too.)

Vote PS3.

Pub_Randy**
02-18-2008, 05:40 AM
All remakes and sequels huh? Really... (http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?type=games&platform=1028&mode=all&sort=views&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc)

That may be so but i was reffering to exclusives - half the games, if not all the games on that list are on Xbox 360 too or already on PC/coming to PC.
I don't agree with exclusives as it isn't fair for the other parties .. not that halo is good anyway (yeah i went there) ..

All im saying is with pretty much all the same games running on each platform an exclusive is whats supposed to draw you to that particular console over the other, and the PS3 pretty much fails there for me.

As for bluray, a normal DVD on a decent TV with a bit of tuning looks just as good as a bluray, i agree though it's the future.
I don't agree with all these bs features to try and make it a PC.. its a waste of money for those of us who JUST want a console for off/online gaming.

Soulburner
02-18-2008, 08:43 AM
I have terrible eyesight...and 1080p on an HDTV is a night and day difference over 480p...but to each his own.

NickS
02-18-2008, 08:57 AM
As for bluray, a normal DVD on a decent TV with a bit of tuning looks just as good as a bluray, i agree though it's the future.

Either you have the most terrible TV in the world, or you're hooking both up via Composite, OR you have such poor eyesight you can't legally drive.

Warboy
02-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Either you have the most terrible TV in the world, or you're hooking both up via Composite, OR you have such poor eyesight you can't legally drive.

Nick...Stop standing up for the PS3 (basically) :p: yes of course a non-HD TV would make bluray look like plain DVD...But no need to insult the guy.

Anyways, I think Xbox 360 is better. Just because so far it has a FAR better selection of games.

the PS3 is a "Shell" game system or a "george foreman" game system (http://www.bit-tech.net/news_images/2007/08/ps3_apparently_immune_to_over-heating/article_img.jpg). Its Ugly, It sucks when collects dust. Sure it won't be as bad with the PS3 Slim (since its silver), but yet another item to buy :rolleyes:

I saw a cooling system the other day at Walmart that Basically doubles(really more like 1.5x) the size of the PS3.

Soulburner
02-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Warboy;2779743']Nick...Stop standing up for the PS3 (basically) :p: yes of course a non-HD TV would make bluray look like plain DVD...But no need to insult the guy.

Anyways, I think Xbox 360 is better. Just because so far it has a FAR better selection of games.

the PS3 is a "Shell" game system or a "george foreman" game system (http://www.bit-tech.net/news_images/2007/08/ps3_apparently_immune_to_over-heating/article_img.jpg). Its Ugly, It sucks when collects dust. Sure it won't be as bad with the PS3 Slim (since its silver), but yet another item to buy :rolleyes:

I saw a cooling system the other day at Walmart that Basically doubles(really more like 1.5x) the size of the PS3.
What's the point of that? The stock cooling is plenty adequate for the PS3. The same can't be said for the Xbox...

At any rate it doesn't belong in an argument against the console.

WesM63
02-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Seriously.. as much as I love my 360 it makes my room hotter than the other 3pcs in my room.

ownage
02-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Seriously.. as much as I love my 360 it makes my room hotter than the other 3pcs in my room.

I guess that's the old xbox360 revision?

I don't care about heat, i actually need computers to keep my room at 20c in the winter.

WesM63
02-18-2008, 12:59 PM
I guess that's the old xbox360 revision?

I don't care about heat, i actually need computers to keep my room at 20c in the winter.

No, its the latest.

eXclusive
02-18-2008, 04:43 PM
I don't agree with all these bs features to try and make it a PC.. its a waste of money for those of us who JUST want a console for off/online gaming.

Are you complaining about a console that has extreme versatility because you'd rather save $100 over the next 5 years you'll be using the console anyway? ($20/yr fro the extras paid for up front)

Better stay away from 360 too then. Just to go online is going to cost you $250 more than the price of the machine in 5 years time.

Jazz_Data
02-18-2008, 05:54 PM
I just got my 80gig PS3 this weekend.

After spending quite a lot of time on home theater forums (start with avsforum), I decided on getting the PS3. The blu-ray player is the best right now on the market, and future-proof because of the firmware updates, etc. It is also a very well rated upscalling DVD player and decodes TrueHD and DTS-HD and you can send out to your avr using linear-pcm to feed your 7.1 setup.

I dont need my dvd player or cd player anymore so I free up all the clutter of cables (only 2 HDMI cables needed now!). (one to my avr, one to TV)

Also, it plays nice games :P

Miwo
02-19-2008, 07:18 AM
im gonna go for a PS3 sometime in the next few months

Way too many killer franchises to pass up that are Sony exclusive. Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid....etc.

You figure that x360 is so close to the PC, with microsoft / dx10 and all, you will probably be able to play its games on PC in time (Mass Effect, GoW), etc. Personally, I think that the PS3 is going to really take off this year

railmeat
02-19-2008, 11:22 PM
im gonna go for a PS3 sometime in the next few months

Way too many killer franchises to pass up that are Sony exclusive. Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid....etc.

You figure that x360 is so close to the PC, with microsoft / dx10 and all, you will probably be able to play its games on PC in time (Mass Effect, GoW), etc. Personally, I think that the PS3 is going to really take off this year

mortal kombat 6!

WesM63
02-19-2008, 11:49 PM
I almost feel bad for my PS3. I've had it for almost a week and have maybe played it for ~3hrs. My x360 has seen more action.

Regardless of performance, i still think the xbox360 is a much better gaming system.

louie101086
02-20-2008, 04:36 AM
360 is the best we have lots of great games and good warranty program so dont be scared of the red ring talk also we will be getting a blu ray player if blu ray wins dvd wars so what is not to love even getting exclusive downloadable content for gta4 when it arrives(microsoft paid millions to get this)

ReverendMaynard
02-20-2008, 01:32 PM
I picked up the PS3 last week and love it. Finally gave me a use for my on-board WIFI-AP and it works like a dream. Streaming music and movies from my pc onto my main entertainment system is incredible.

For the guy who said this "As for bluray, a normal DVD on a decent TV with a bit of tuning looks just as good as a bluray, i agree though it's the future."

Go get your eyes checked, or get a grip on reality...what ever comes first. The difference is too say the least....easily recognized by 5 year olds.

Draernor
03-03-2008, 04:28 AM
PS3 is a much better choice. Aside from everything else that was stated, xbox only supports HD DVD(with the add-on), which has been abandoned. PS3 supports Blu-Ray (no add-on) which is now the norm.

GJ sony.

WesM63
03-03-2008, 07:36 AM
I can tell the difference between Blu-Ray and a standard DVD but I'm still not impressed. I have some 720p MKV TV Shows that look better than blu-ray.

I even had my friends and family confirm it wasn't just me. I even thought I had a poor BD that didn't show the advantages of BD. So I found a list on avsforums, bought one of the Tier 0 movies (supposedly the best BD has to offer) and still not impressed.

Systemcepe
03-03-2008, 09:21 AM
I can tell the difference between Blu-Ray and a standard DVD but I'm still not impressed. I have some 720p MKV TV Shows that look better than blu-ray.

I even had my friends and family confirm it wasn't just me. I even thought I had a poor BD that didn't show the advantages of BD. So I found a list on avsforums, bought one of the Tier 0 movies (supposedly the best BD has to offer) and still not impressed.

Maybe your tv is the problem? I looked at a 100Hz 42inch Samsung today. They were playing Pearl Harbor Blu-ray on it..and I was amazed.

Piotrsama
03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
@Thread starter:
Why not consider the Wii?

Anyone has PS3 failure rate %??
Would be interesting to know.....

I think you can be banned if you get in to live, which he said he's not going to use.

PS3 is a much better choice. Aside from everything else that was stated, xbox only supports HD DVD(with the add-on), which has been abandoned. PS3 supports Blu-Ray (no add-on) which is now the norm.

What if you want to buy a console just to play?
What's the purpose of paying extra for something you don't want ?? (bluray movies-compatibility)

YukonTrooper
03-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Since when is it the norm? High definition optical makes up for less than 5% of the market.

Cpl Ledanek
03-03-2008, 07:27 PM
someone else mentioned this before::rolleyes:
"Blu-Ray :banana::banana::banana::banana: availability"
HD-DVD :banana::banana::banana::banana:...name one.

seriousness, Metal Gear Solid 4 (http://www.truveo.com/MGS4-Gameplay-Pt-3/id/1509817265) nuff said

Peakr
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM

seriousness, Metal Gear Solid 4 (http://www.truveo.com/MGS4-Gameplay-Pt-3/id/1509817265) nuff said

Haha!

Starscream
03-04-2008, 08:37 AM

My Cousin married last month and trust me there is HD-DVD :banana::banana::banana::banana:.
If im correct HD-DVD was the first HD platform the :banana::banana::banana::banana: industry used.

Origin_Unknown
03-04-2008, 02:31 PM

same with my ps3 :(
the only reason im keeping the thing is for metal gear solid 3 ... i have to force myself to play it right now

techguy2k5
03-06-2008, 02:25 PM
same with my ps3 :(
the only reason im keeping the thing is for metal gear solid 3 ... i have to force myself to play it right now

Your PS3 makes your room hot? What is it in a closet?

Kryckter
03-06-2008, 05:24 PM
My vote goes for the 360 :D

Cpl Ledanek
03-06-2008, 08:27 PM
My Cousin married last month and trust me there is HD-DVD :banana::banana::banana::banana:.
If im correct HD-DVD was the first HD platform the :banana::banana::banana::banana: industry used.
...you still haven't submitted a title...no title..no existence;)
I'm still trying to figure out the Cousin-married part:confused: I'm assuming there was a bacherlor party with this HD-DVD involved.

just kidding:D

mikey976
03-07-2008, 07:31 AM
360 for now, ps3 when prices drop and gt:hd /mgs4 ftw.

oh and blueray hd :banana::banana::banana::banana: . certain details should be ommited i think SD :banana::banana::banana::banana: is enough ;-)

Starscream
03-07-2008, 08:31 AM
...you still haven't submitted a title...no title..no existence;)
I'm still trying to figure out the Cousin-married part:confused: I'm assuming there was a bacherlor party with this HD-DVD involved.

just kidding:D

:rolleyes: lol ofc at the bachlor party. One of the guys brought them from work.
Wasnt rly my thing (im not into fake boobs and specialy not the ones that are supersized).
We ended up watching the first 10 minuts of 1 and then stopped and played Wii and Xbox360 games.

But for the titles there is always google.

Seeing this kind of stuff isnt for all ages ive Pmed u the link.
Its pretty easy, just visit the bigger online media retailers and check their dvd section for adult stuff.

louie101086
03-08-2008, 09:34 PM
read somewhere that the creators of metal gear solid are under pressure to release game to multiple platforms(xbox 360) because of the cost to make games for ps3 blu ray discs arent cheap and they believe it would make much more money on both consoles instead of one also i read microsoft is in talks with sony to get a blu ray player for 360 owners and may even incorporate a blu ray into a premium console just like ps3 already has

Origin_Unknown
03-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Your PS3 makes your room hot? What is it in a closet?

no - my room is like 8 foot by 12 foot.

DoomSayer
03-17-2008, 01:55 PM
im happy with the 360 i bought 2nd hand.
PS3 has hardly any games out i want to play to begin with.

ownage
03-17-2008, 02:32 PM
read somewhere that the creators of metal gear solid are under pressure to release game to multiple platforms(xbox 360) because of the cost to make games for ps3 blu ray discs arent cheap and they believe it would make much more money on both consoles instead of one also i read microsoft is in talks with sony to get a blu ray player for 360 owners and may even incorporate a blu ray into a premium console just like ps3 already has

M$ said i think 3 weeks ago they won't do blu-ray :(

I finally have my xbox60 and most say its amazing. Great games but mine makes lots of noise. A bit to much. I never thought the graphics would be so good, Assassins Greed is just insane.

DoomSayer
03-18-2008, 05:58 AM
M$ said i think 3 weeks ago they won't do blu-ray :(

I finally have my xbox60 and most say its amazing. Great games but mine makes lots of noise. A bit to much. I never thought the graphics would be so good, Assassins Greed is just insane.
yea the xbox 360 is a noisy hot :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:.
but i love it as a game system.
a friend of mine owns a PS3 and 360 and well his PS3 is gathering dust over there.

KoHaN69
03-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Ok I love a good fps
PS3 = usb keyboard+mouseand

but lately I've been missing the driving, sports, and fighting games
GT5, Any and all sport games, Tekken 6

Just looking for some advice on which console would be the better choice overall.

PS3 is by far more futureproof than 360.
The XBOX and gamecube are DEAD, PS2 is still selling retail.

If you get a PSP, you could play many future PS3 game remotely through net via wifi - now that's effin cool

i say

360 is dead, all its best games were out in 2007, it'll be history by 2010
It's awesome for arcade though (classic hd remakes ftw)
but its controller is a pos, imho

ownage
03-20-2008, 04:31 AM
I don't see how the 360 is dead. The developers have far more problem with hitting enough FPS with the PS3 then with the 360. The PS3 has blu-ray but so what? The old PS2 still won' t die and even the absolutaly-non-future-proof Wii is selling good.

RAW-Raptor22
03-20-2008, 06:30 AM
I don't see how the 360 is dead. The developers have far more problem with hitting enough FPS with the PS3 then with the 360. The PS3 has blu-ray but so what? The old PS2 still won' t die and even the absolutaly-non-future-proof Wii is selling good.

The PS2 will sell forever, they sold the PS1 forever too. They came out with the PS1 at the end of '94, and multiple hardware revisions later they finally stopped production in July 2006. Who even bought a PS1 in 2006? :shrug: :ROTF:

Soulburner
03-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Playstation was out in 1996.

About the Xbox being dead? Not yet, but Microsoft is now starting the planning stages of their next hardware console, to be released in late 2009 or early 2010.

They are also starting work on their next iteration of Live........Xbox Live 2.0?

[XC] Lead Head
03-20-2008, 11:51 AM
There is no point for the Xbox or the PS3 to still be around in 2010, by then they will have been greatly surpassed by PC graphics

bro20000
03-20-2008, 01:10 PM
PS3 Rules have both 360 and PS3 and the PS3 Seems alot faster and better on the eye and has better controls!

Soulburner
03-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Lead Head;2854982']There is no point for the Xbox or the PS3 to still be around in 2010, by then they will have been greatly surpassed by PC graphics

Just so you know, the Playstation 2 is going on 8 years now. Sony plans to run the PS3 for at least that long, but we will see how that pans out.

YukonTrooper
03-20-2008, 03:00 PM
PS3 and Xbox 360 will both see relatively short lives compared to their older brethren. The PS3 has longer legs because of Blu-ray and the cell processor, but Microsoft's next console will put both to shame, as will the PS4 when it arrives.

ownage
03-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Why would a Cell processor be more future-proof? I think the GPU will be much more important, especially since they have to be capable to show graphics @ 1080P.

YukonTrooper
03-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Why would a Cell processor be more future-proof? I think the GPU will be much more important,...
Because the Cell Processor has the potential to do some incredible things. Most of those things probably haven't even been thought of yet, yet alone implemented. The toolkit that was released by Sony recently will shed some more light on the Cell Processor, but the toolkit is mainly for game implementation. Though I guarantee you we'll see some pretty neat things from the Cell in the future.

Forget about the GPU in the PS3, it's the weak part of the console. The 360 has a more powerful GPU than the PS3. And don't get too excited about 1080P either. Most games will never be 1080P native, unless they program the Cell in such a way to help the GPU with graphics performance. This might happen, because supposedly one of Sony's original plans was to have multiple Cell Processors do the graphics work. However, it was decided at the time that the industry didn't have the toolkits to develop games in such a way, and that it would be much too expensive.

There is a reason why the Air Force purchased 300 PS3's. They didn't buy them to have a giant LAN game, they bought them to research the Cell Processor.

...especially since they have to be capable to show graphics @ 1080P.

Don't forget that consoles are about more than just games now. Consoles will start to become the center of the media experience in homes. Watch movies, view pictures, listen to music, stream media from your computer and other hardware, browse the internet, and eventually have a full scale internet experience where you can get media directly online.

irev210
03-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Don't forget that consoles are about more than just games now. Consoles will start to become the center of the media experience in homes. Watch movies, view pictures, listen to music, stream media from your computer and other hardware, browse the internet, and eventually have a full scale internet experience where you can get media directly online.

xbox 360 is almost there.

I just ordered a new XPS 420 so I could get dual digital cable tuners with cable card support.

XBOX 360 w/ media center extender plays very nice with that :)

coo-coo-clocker
03-26-2008, 05:46 PM
heheh, what a holy war this is. Kinda like microsoft vs. linux :)

I have the PS3...My wife bought it for me as a surprise xmas gift back in 2006. I must say I've been really impressed with the quality of it. I've been folding on it 24x7 except when I play games, blu-rays or dvds (that's one of the things I really liked about the PS2 as well - we never had to buy a separate dvd or cd player for the home entertainment center). The PS3 really can be at the heart of a low-end home entertainment setup. I've got mine for DVDs, blu-rays, MP3s, slideshows, etc.

The frequent firmware upgrades are nice. I really liked the upscaling upgrade that came last May (allows lower res dvds to play at HD res). The DLNA media server interface was another terrific addition. All these excellent new capabilities coming at no charge is pretty sweet. I also agree about the core technology of the PS3 giving it longer life - I would bet that the cell processor will be doing things even the next gen xbox won't do... it's just designed for the future...

Bottom line - I don't have a 360 so I'm a bit biased, but it seems to me that the PS3 is a better setup and is more "futureproof"...

Hl2dxCrt
03-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Hand down would have to be the Xbox 360 in my house. Our house has both the Xbox 360 elite and the PS3. The PS3 sits and collects dust basicly except when some one decided to rent a blu-ray. The XBox has much better graphics than the PS3 and the frame rate is significantly higher in almost ever game. Xbox live kicks PS3onlines butt hardcore. I mean I know the ps3 online is free but it is crappy and hard to use. The xbox 360 is also way more multilayer friendly. The PS3 has olny a few games that can do split screen but the Xbox 360 almost ever game can. The xbox live arcade is sweet !!! I love the TV episode downloads too. PS3 sits and collects dust and the xbox is used about every day.

madfaze
03-28-2008, 12:30 PM
ps3...

bluehaze
03-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Wii! Seriously, I bought a 360 on launch day bought a few games lost interest went back to computer gaming. The Wii is the only system that offers something the computer doesn't. The whole control system is just so much fun and such a different way of gaming. It is without a doubt the most fun i have ever had playing console games with friends.

RAW-Raptor22
03-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Just so you know, the Playstation 2 is going on 8 years now. Sony plans to run the PS3 for at least that long, but we will see how that pans out.

Playstation was out in 1996.

About the Xbox being dead? Not yet, but Microsoft is now starting the planning stages of their next hardware console, to be released in late 2009 or early 2010.

They are also starting work on their next iteration of Live........Xbox Live 2.0?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation

May I direct you to that? It was released in December of 1994 in Japan... meaning production went from Fall of '94 until July 2006... an incredible 12 years for one system.... :up:

Soulburner
03-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Alright, well most of us don't live in Japan so its useful life was a little shorter ;)

DoomSayer
04-08-2008, 06:07 AM
ps3...
wow that really made me want to buy a PS3
well not really

eXclusive
05-06-2008, 09:46 PM
PS3 lookin' really sweet lately though. Can't say I care for too many games on the 360 now or forthcoming.

RAW-Raptor22
05-07-2008, 07:07 AM
PS3 lookin' really sweet lately though. Can't say I care for too many games on the 360 now or forthcoming.

I would have to agree, the GT5, FF, Blu-ray capabilities, F@H. PS3 is definitely outpacing the 360 at this point. See: http://www.overclockworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105

stocius
05-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Now that Xbox is getting the blu-ray that might even things up...but I've always leaned somewhat towards Sony for the titles released for their playstations

CometMan
05-08-2008, 04:17 PM
ps3 all the way, blu ray is the future

Freebo
05-12-2008, 11:30 PM
I find it funny these threads always weedle out the fanboys :) I have a 360 Elite and getting a PS3 for the end of the month to fold, play GTA4 and use for BlueRay films on my TV (might buy more games after but i wont be able to afford much after that little spend XD). I got GTA4 on my 360 would like to see how it compares, ive seen screenshot comparisons and it looks no difference.. If you realy wanna play FPS' why not a PC? TBH i cant stand FPS' on consoles, they just dont realy work, played em on all 3 consoles and cant say i enjoyed em, only way i could see to play em on the console is keyboard and mouse which you can get adaptors :D