PDA

View Full Version : Adding another Rad and Barb question

waytoosmall
02-08-2008, 08:36 AM
I am thinking of adding another thermochill rad to the loop in my sig. I can do a simple drain and add it to the back off the rear exaust fan. My question is, will it really help a whole lot with temps? As of now I have my Q6600 @3.6 with 1.44v (i'm not at home but I think volts are right). Under full load the highest I have seen the temps get is 60-61C. I want to try and push the chip to 4GHZ without tearing everything apart and putting a D-tek on. Will Adding another push/pull configured rad off the back do it? I don't care about noise because it is already loud and I use headphones for gaming.

Also, when I am buying res, rad, etc, what barbs should I get? As of now I use the plastic ones that come with the equipment. But I see nice metal ones all over the place on pics here on the forums. I am about to buy a new dual bay res(for a different pc):

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=149&products_id=22698&zenid=d713e2f8e03e0a00fb51b46aa97aa6ba

and there is an option for fittings, or Koolance nozzle pair. Should I get one of those or should I seperately order some metal barbs(brand and where to get them would be great). Thank you for the input.

Sparky
02-08-2008, 09:20 AM
I would think you should benefit from more rad because you are putting quite a bit of heat into that loop with dual 8800GTX and the C2Q. Looks like the thermochill has held up well though.

Many people use the Dtek metal barbs on swiftech stuff. They fit really nicely into the recessed threads of those blocks. I use them on my MCW60. I got metal swiftech barbs for it originally but they are so shoddy compared to the Dteks they are just sitting in a box as spares. I don't know what barbs you'd get with that res, it doesn't say.

waytoosmall
02-08-2008, 12:11 PM
I got the Koolance compression nozzle fittings just because I didn't want to get the regular plastic ones the res comes with by default. I will definetely get some metal d-tek barbs though and try them out on my new loop. And I think I am going to get a new rad to add to the loop but I am very happy with how the thermochill has held up. Thank you for the input and if anyone has any more they would like to add please do so!

edit: Also, where in the loop should the other rad go? I was going to put it in right after the first. So it would just go from Rad to Rad then to Cpu etc...

waytoosmall
02-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Okay, I'm going to get another PA120.3 with 6 PanFlo H1A fans. I want to mount this off the back of the case. Can I just use the swiftech rad box to do this? I'm not sure if I need to start a new thread with this question but hopefully not.

Sparky
02-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Yes you can use a radbox.

You could put the rad right after the first one but (I think) it would work better to have the rad a little bit further down the loop.