PDA

View Full Version : i also have condensation issues

ellsworth
08-17-2003, 06:52 PM
ok, i have a standard swiftech mcw50-t with the 80w pelt...the insulation this thing came with is woooorthlesss! the little neoprene square was as effective as shooting a tank with a bb-gun. i covered all of the areas on the card with liquid electric tape for waterproofing, some say the card heats up and casues problems with this stuff but i tested it for a week with the stock heatsink and nothing went wrong, and i covered all of the problem areas with neoprene front and back. if you notice in the pic my agp slot is forming condensation! along with the cap that is right above it due to the 80w pelt on my northbridge. i have done nothing but test with the computer off just to be safe, will this condensation form when the heatload of the computer is added? if not what are some ways that you guys prevent water from forming on the agp slot and inside where it can short things out. i put dielectric grease all on the inside of my slot but i need some assurance that it will be enough, all of my pins have a moderate coating but nothing that would fill the slot and cause grease to bulge out the sides.

water proofing boards and insulating them are common practice but i have never needed to insulate the inside of an agp slot. is this a common problem? i mean this is only an 80w pelt and i see you guys putting 172watters on your gpu's and have never heard a word concerning condensation. anyways here is my pic and thanks in advance.

saaya
08-17-2003, 09:38 PM
its a common problem i think. fill the agp slot with dielectric grease so theres no air left inside the agp slot, then id put some neoprene on that places you got condensation and fire up the system watching at the hardware carefully to see if you still get condensation or some parts get really cold. if yes... more insulation! :D if not id add a fan just to be sure you can run it 24/7

ellsworth
08-17-2003, 09:47 PM
makes sense, i was just trying to avoid using the rest of my tube of silicone grease i guess. my motherboard and vid card are much more important than a silly $2 worth of grease, so yea ill fill her up to the brim with the rest of my white grease...silicone grease! this seems like a pretty big problem that i have never seen addressed so thats why i was making sure that it was safe to really fill up the agp slot all the way and still have the pins make contact with the leads of the card. ill post results tomorrow.

thanks

afireinside
08-17-2003, 10:59 PM
Do I have to worry about condensation on the PCB and in the AGP slot with chilled water?

saaya
08-18-2003, 12:11 AM
hmmm id say pcb yes, but not much and agp slot no.

tecs are different that chilled water... they really "pull" the heat out of everything they have contact with... i love those little beasts :D

youll need a nice neoprene gasket around your gpu if you cool it with chilled water though, about as much as ellsworth used id suggest just to be sure.