PDA

View Full Version : D400 settings for night shots

AriciU
02-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Any idea what the best settings would be for taking pics of my case (with UV lightning inside) using a Canon D400 in the dark? A friend of mine just got one and i was thinking about borrowing it for a few hours to take some shots. We're both noob's to DSLR and the tenths of settings that why i'm asking :)

MaxxxRacer
02-07-2008, 04:42 PM
what kind of night shots??

On a tripod? or handheld?

Is this if landspaces and cars passing by, or of people.

AriciU
02-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Handhelp, he doesn't have a tripod yet but i can use some books if needed. Just night shots of my PC showing the pretty lights in good quality. :)

MaxxxRacer
02-08-2008, 12:51 PM
for handheld, you generaly use a flash. If you are trying to get non-flash shots handheld, you will need to set the 400D to ISO 1600 and hope you have a steady hand.

If he wants to get serious about night photography I suggest getting a the EF 50mm F1.2 lense. LINKAGE (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=152&modelid=14259). that lense will allow enough light to get to the sensor so he wont have to have crazy long exposures. the only problem is that its not a zoom.

For a low light standard zoom, the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM is an excellent lens, but it is crazy expensive.