PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking shifts from hobby to profession

Warboy
02-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Analysis Fugger, Kingpin, Shamino are not just ubergeeks anymore

By Nebojsa Novakovic: Wednesday, 06 February 2008, 4:00 PM

OVERCLOCKING a high-end computer is, in a way, like speed-tuning an already fast car. In both cases, you'd go for pushing up top models, rather than, say, speeding up a Pentium III - or a Yugo - these days.

Both activities involve a tremendous amount of adjustments to both the engines, the surrounding hardware and to the, well, control system. Cooling a CPU has become as sophisticated, if not more, as cooling a twin-turbo V8 engine. And, both activities are, at least at the top end, getting prohibitively expensive for most 'general public'.

The only major differences are that computer tuning evolves muchfaster - as do computers, after all - and has somewhat less risk to one's life and limb. The chances of being scarred by pouring dry ice, or accidentally drinking a cup of LN2 instead of your Evian, or even getting fried by some loose electrical wire there, are lower than slamming yourself at 300+ km/h into a wall while trying to tame an uncontrollable overtuned petrol-laden beast.

But that 300+ km/h ride may get far more adrenalin pumping - got to admit that.

Ultimately, computer performance tuning had to move from garage hobby to a real profession, with "monetisation" potential, focused teams instead of lone geeks, custom tuner-system production, advertising, promotion and - finally - several board and PC system vendors investing big time on this.

Now, the biggies like HP and Dell having splurged big-time money on VoodooPC and Alienware - even OCZ has got hold of one, the Hypersonic brand, in the meantime - and smaller vendors like Biohazard and Vadim are in the game full swing.

Few of the "gurus" in this field are known by their real names. How many know the famous "Fugger" of xtremesystems.com as Charles Wirth? Not to mention Kingpin - sorry, k|ingp|n, and my fellow Singaporean Shamino?

Well, "Fugger" has moved up recently in the fame department - the last few IDFs featured him at the Intel CxO demos, unleashing the record speeds for Chipzilla's Penryn's - close to 6GHz on Yorkfield. Now, with some help from k|ingp|n, Fugger did the community proud by supercooling the Skulltrail to dual 5.5++ GHz! A nearly 180 GFLOPs peak performance system, even when counting 64-bit double precision FP.

Not bad at all for eight cores, even when you look at the size of the monster CPU blocks there - have a look at the pics when you click here .

So, as long as he keeps up breaking the records, Fugger can now count on pretty regular stage appearances with bigwigs and extra dosh from all that.

On the other hand, Shamino did a four-hour quick hop from Singapore to a suburb of Taipei to help giant Foxconn jumpstart its "Quantum Force" overclocking board operation. Aimed right at Asus' Republic Of Gamers series, Shamino's extreme tuning expertise influenced the upcoming BlackOps X48 series of Foxconn Quantum Force mobos, even down to ready accessories for LN2 or dry-ice cooling for the chipset.

So, it is a full time career now for Shamino - at least Taipei and Singapore speak the same Hokkien Chinese dialect, so uprooting shouldn't have posed a problem as long as he can skillfully avoid the erratic scooter drivers up there.

On the other had, Asus is moving a big chunk of its worldwide branded business operation to Singapore, so it might hire off the rest of Shamino's ex-team at VR-Zone to, uhh, boost its chances?

For the avid overclockers among our readers, there seem to be two main areas of expertise.

One basically supertunes the system to its absolute limits, combining all the best componentry, modded boards and LN2 cooling with super-duper elements. Combined with ungodly voltages, this allows them to run a given "stage demo" config at an extreme speed - say 6GHz is a target for Yorkfield - sufficiently long to pass all the (in)famous benchmark tests and take screenshots of the record scores. If possible, in front of the applauding audience, of course.

If, after that, the same system never wakes up again for some reason, it doesn't really matter. The fresh set of components will anyway be ready for the next stage show-off.

It delivers a good feel" of a given platform's utmost technology limits, or what it can achieve say two years down the line - so, the exercise is not futile. If you really know this stuff, you got a chance to shine for 15 minutes of fame.

The other approach is "consistent, sustainable performance enhancement". It's not nearly as glamorous as the first one, but, it combines all-round balanced system tuning from CPU, cooling, FSB, chipset, memory, graphics, I/O, power, all the BIOS options and so on, but targeted at sustained long-term system operation without major, if any, reliability sacrifice - yet with proven measurable performance jumps in real applications.

A balanced system matching the CPU speed jump with chipset, bus and memory speed increase, yet all within safe levels matched with proper cooling and power feed, could run fine for years, keep in mind.

The companies mentioned above made their dosh this way, and many others can do the same within their niche. An avid sustainable system tuner could have an actual long-term job here - whatever "long term" means in IT.

So, if you love this stuff, know it, and do it in practice, with scratched fingers and all that - don't be shy, give it a go! The big guys are - finally - making it a career too.

Source - TheInquirer (http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/06/analysis-overclocking-hobby)

[XC] gomeler
02-07-2008, 05:27 AM
An interesting article, no doubt. Unfortunately being an Internet superstar only gets you so far. We need fame, fortune, and trophy wives for all!

bf2142lol
02-07-2008, 06:26 AM
gomeler;2754618']An interesting article, no doubt. Unfortunately being an Internet superstar only gets you so far. We need fame, fortune, and trophy wives for all!

lol.

M.Beier
02-07-2008, 06:43 AM
hehe... :)

Yeap... Saturday night comment isnt "babe, yesterday I broke the SPI 1M WR"... ;)

GoThr3k
02-07-2008, 06:58 AM
hehe... :)

Yeap... Saturday night comment isnt "babe, yesterday I broke the SPI 1M WR"... ;)

i'll buy you one if you say that :D

ANP !!!
02-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Nice read, but from a unusual source.

M.Beier
02-07-2008, 07:18 AM
i'll buy you one if you say that :D

We'll... Lets just say, I've actually mentioned WR's a couple of times, heh... : - )
But not at the disco though, but... At a pub with some girls from school... :cool:

grunge100
02-07-2008, 07:24 AM
M.Beier.

I bet that really turned them on. How do you put "I overclock computers" on your resume...:)

M.Beier
02-07-2008, 07:43 AM
M.Beier.

I bet that really turned them on. How do you put "I overclock computers" on your resume...:)

Hehe, not really, did benefit from it..
My other hobbies are
Partying (use to party 4 days a week, now I do alot of fitness to prepare for summer)
Driving fast...
Politics

- And Im considered to shine prestige(attitude, clothing), so kinda made me earth bound to have a bit humble hobby as well...

and yeah, HW is actually on my resume, CV - as I havent got any IT related education, but knows quite a bit ;) - Im studying economics..

But, In my resume, 2 pages, as its best short, it has following themes.

Personal info (age, civil status etc.)
Occupational experiences (IT consultant, IT technician etc.)
Education
Former occupation's function
Other knowledge areas (lessons in programming, psycology etc.)
Freetime activities (stated HW here)
Expectations from the employee

20yrs and have always got the job I've asked for, never asked for a job and not been hired :D

T_M
02-07-2008, 08:20 AM
I always inform my GF if im close to or have broken a record :D

xt0m
02-07-2008, 08:52 AM
My boyfriend usually gets to feel it in the dark hours :p

Darkmind
02-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Great read, thanks for that.

NH|Delph1
02-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Hehe, and more are leaving the community to work for the great companies. ;)

We've had beta-testers in the community for a long time, this is by far an expected development :)

No one knows better what an enthusiast wants than another fellow overclocker :up:

Cudos to the companies who have realized this, and we will only see more of this.

//Andreas

wittekakker
02-07-2008, 01:32 PM
yeah, doesn't take away the good feeling of the old days though.

KoHaN69
02-07-2008, 03:19 PM
OVERCLOCKING a high-end computer is, in a way, like speed-tuning an already fast car. In both cases, you'd go for pushing up top models, rather than, say, speeding up a Pentium III - or a Yugo - these days.
Am I the only one that found that finds this statement offensive? :shrug:

"consistent, sustainable performance enhancement" FTW

SiGfever
02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
With people such as these guys in the forefront and having the ears of major companies can do nothing but good things for all overclockers and serious hardware junkies.

THE JEW (RaVeN)
02-07-2008, 03:34 PM
No mention of Macci at ATI/AMD?

strange|ife
02-07-2008, 08:55 PM
gomeler;2754618']An interesting article, no doubt. Unfortunately being an Internet superstar only gets you so far. We need fame, fortune, and trophy wives for all!

I'll Buy That for a Dollar! HAHAHA

-robocop

Anyway good read..glad OC has caught up into the mainstream realm of geek

Spawne32
02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
I wouldnt call it a profession, its not officially endorsed by any company. In fact even most motherboard manufacturers which gear products specifically for overclocking, wont garuntee or troubleshoot any overclocking related issues.

RAMMAN
02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I wouldnt call it a professional, its not officially endorsed by any company.

what about ocz?

Spawne32
02-07-2008, 09:42 PM
what about ocz?

Ive never had to return a product or contact technical support :ROTF:

RAMMAN
02-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Ive never had to return a product or contact technical support :ROTF:

i mean does ocz officialy endorse overclocking?