PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting pump speeds

lee143
02-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Is there a way to adjust pump speeds without going with a D5 Vario? I'd think that it would be possible to hook it up to a fan controller, but someone on a different forum told me that it'd burn out the controller. I would need to measure the voltage, speed in RPM, and the temps. Can anyone help me out?

systemviper
02-06-2008, 06:27 PM
I think you would need a speed controller that can handle the amps that the pump is drawing. a fan doesn't draw much amps but the pump does. That is why you will burn out a fan controller .You might be able to find some kind of rheostat or something that is made to control something with higher amps

you figure they got to make something like that, for 12v pumps.

Nate P.
02-06-2008, 06:32 PM
It really depends on the fan controller.

lee143
02-06-2008, 06:49 PM
however, with a potentiometer, wouldn't i have to setup something else to measure voltage?

MoreGooder
02-07-2008, 05:02 AM
however, with a potentiometer, wouldn't i have to setup something else to measure voltage?

No. All you would need to do is put a high value resistor (100kOhm for instance) across the leads to your pump, and measure the voltage drop across the resistor. A low current will flow through the resistor, but both pump and resistor will be at an identical voltage.

Now, you'll need to know a bit more about the device you plan to use to display the voltage however. Can you tell us what you plan to use? A Multimeter will definitely work, but I have a feeling your planning on using something more inline with a 3 1/2 bay or 5 1/4 bay device. If the device you plan on using has a high input impedence than you wouldn't even need to add that resistor.

MoreGooder
02-07-2008, 05:12 AM
On second thought, what would be the value in measuring the voltage applied to the pump anyway? You won't exceed 12V anyway. The RPM meter would like still function properly (same as with an undervolted fan). Just hook the rpm meter cable to whatever device you plan to use for display, or to the appropriate mobo fan connection and use Speed fan to monitor it.