PDA

View Full Version : Heat from Radiator?

fepple
02-06-2008, 03:51 AM
I am planning the layout of my first WC setup. Its going in my new TJ07 case and I'm trying to decide which side I should have the Radiator/Fans pointing out of the bottom section.

If I have it so the air is pulled through the radiator and out the front side (left) of the case the air will be blown on to my mouse hand, which due to my poor circulation is often a bit cold.

So my question is, will the air coming from the radiator be warm?

I am guessing if it is noticably warm then the radiator isnt cooling the air enough and water will be going back into the loop still warm...

eXa
02-06-2008, 04:25 AM
Depends on several things. heat dump, radiator size and how much air that is moved through the rad. if u have a fair amount of heat dump and an efficient rad like the pa series with a slow moving fan like a turned down yate. u could probialy see up to 10degres delta... the more air u move through the rad the lower the delta will be ofc. if u see more then 10degres delta u probably need to turn ur fans up abit or get a bigger rad...

Cronos
02-06-2008, 05:13 AM
Temperature delta of radiator exhaust air over ambient can be calculated as

dT= 1.6 * (Total power dissipated) /(Total airflow through radiator).

Total power = total heat in loop.

For example, for 200W loop (averagely overclocked Core2 Quad ) and 3xYL D12-SM, total flow can be estimated 120cfm,

dT= 1.6 * 200 /120 =2.7C

clokker
02-06-2008, 05:30 AM
If I have it so the air is pulled through the radiator and out the front side (left) of the case the air will be blown on to my mouse hand, which due to my poor circulation is often a bit cold.

So my question is, will the air coming from the radiator be warm?

Sounds like we have a very similar setup...case on RH side of desk with mousing area next to it.
The air exiting the rad is only a a degree or two warmer than the air going in so it's just a question of the air temp you're feeding the radiator.

I had my TJ07 ducted to a nearby window, so the air coming out the LH panel grill was bloody fooking freezing and it dumped right onto my mouse hand.
The CPU absolutely loved it...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/Orthos2jpg.jpg

...but I found it intolerable.
I considered cobbling up a deflector to block the LH grill and possibly route the rad's exit air up through the subfloor (which has been extensively opened up) but haven't done so yet.

fepple
02-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Hmm thinking about it more, I guess the extra air going on to my hands (even if above ambient temperature) would actually act to them (my hands) colder.