PDA

View Full Version : Cutting machine screws for mounting radiators

perfection
02-03-2008, 07:25 PM
How do I cut a 6-32 Hex Socket cap screw down to the correct length?

I've tried one with a hacksaw but I seem to stuff it up at the thread and it doesn't screw into my Swiftech MCR220 :(

ps, the Liquid cooling section sounded like the best place to post this

lennox
02-03-2008, 07:31 PM
you can cut them with a basic wire cutter/crimper tool...

http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/mst47e.jpg

you can see the 6-32 circle where you screw it in for cutting.. it also doesn't damage the threads

SiGfever
02-03-2008, 07:32 PM
How do I cut a 6-32 Hex Socket cap screw down to the correct length?

I've tried one with a hacksaw but I seem to stuff it up at the thread and it doesn't screw into my Swiftech MCR220 :(

ps, the Liquid cooling section sounded like the best place to post this

Put 6-32 nut upstream of the hacksaw cut and use the nut to "Re-Die" the threads.

This is assuming that you tapped the rad holes to 6-32.

SNiiPE_DoGG
02-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I've use my dremel cutoff on very small machine screws while making a hardmount for NB and as long as you cut straight with a steady hand your golden

jimmyz
02-03-2008, 09:20 PM
do like sigfever said and use a nut placed on the bolt before it is cut to "chase" the threads. also if you have a bench grinder it is the fastest way to shorten without buggering up the threads too bad.

perfection
02-03-2008, 09:28 PM
I've got a bench grinder, so you suggest cutting it down to about 1mm or 2mm away and grinding it down?

edit: also, that basic wire crimper tool looks easier. I'll try it now :D

edit2: bench grider bent the screw, the crimper works but I can't cut it to the right length, it cuts it about 2mm away and then you can cut it again because its to short.

I don't need this urgently, but when i get my dremel back, I'll try that.

madmaxx
02-03-2008, 10:40 PM
i use a pair of channellock branded side cutters, snips right through them like buttah!

Waterlogged
02-04-2008, 12:35 AM
Dremel FTW!

jimmyz
02-04-2008, 12:51 AM
the bench grinder was for cleaning off the burr after cutting. also if you hold the bolt with pliers and go slowly the bench grinder can bring it down to size... make sure to use pliers because it will get very hot, keep water nearby to cool it, then lightly roll the sharp burr on the grinding wheel at a 45 degree angle and that should clean up the threads enough to use a nut to further clean or "chase " them.

septim
02-04-2008, 03:02 AM
you could put a nut before (any method) cutting, so after cutting, loosen/take off nut so as to "re thread" cut portion...

i also file smooth the end of the screw just enough...

Isriam
02-04-2008, 06:08 AM
i've said many times, if you buy your hardware at home depot or lowes then skip the 6-32 size and go straght for #6 metal screws. they work so much better.

Xilikon
02-04-2008, 06:34 AM
i've said many times, if you buy your hardware at home depot or lowes then skip the 6-32 size and go straght for #6 metal screws. they work so much better.

Maybe but I don't like the idea of self-tapping screws messing with the taps. Just get the right tap set and use the right machine screws ;)