PDA

View Full Version : Flow Testing With Various Blocks

coolmiester
02-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Hey Martin, my apologies for bustin all your good work lately but i'm guessing you will be putting all the data in one place at some point but feel free to delete;)

I did a bit of testing (admittedly not to your level) with various block around this time last year and was told the Storm i used was inferior or my testing was inferior to get such bad flow results but i did buy myself another and got the same numbers.........anything on the Storm??

And again my apologies for agro

Flow Testing With Various Blocks, Barb Sizes and Aftermarket Laing Tops

http://coolercasesuk.co.uk/coolercases/DDC-10watt_all.jpg

I hope this might give an indication to expected flow rate with various blocks, hose fittings and aftermarket pump tops.

We've just introduced the small 10-8mm Compression Fittings and Hose to our site so thought it would be a good idea to put some of the most popular blocks head to head in a flow test comparison using the new 10-8mm Fittings as well as the more common 3/8" and 1/2" barbs

For the test i used three new, off the shelf Laing DDC 1T 10watt pumps firstly with an Alphacool Modded Plexi Top (http://www.coolercases.co.uk/images/alphacool/alphacool_big.jpg) then repeated all tests with a Petra's Tech Top. The pumps were ran in for 15 minutes before testing began then each test was replicated three times using all three pumps so an average could be gained from all three pumps.

This in itself was quite interesting as on some tests i was able to see as much as .6LPM deficit between pumps even though they were all ran from the same PSU and same amount of hose lengths used.

The Barbs used were...
10-8mm Compression Fittings with 8mm ID Hose (3ft inlet - 2ft outlet)
3/8" EK Barbs with 3/8" Tygon Hose (3ft inlet - 2ft outlet)
1/2" EK Barbs with 1/2" Tygon Hose (3ft inlet - 2ft outlet)

The blocks used were all that i could lay my hands on at the time without going back to the older generation blocks.
D-Tek FuZion
Danger Den TDX
Swiftech Storm
EK Wave
Alphacool XP Bold

Nothing really surprising with the result to be honest though i was quite surprised at how much the flow was killed with the Storm yet the difference in flow between barb sizes was virtually nothing compared to the less restrictive blocks.

Hopefully i will get the chance in the coming weeks to re-test all blocks with both the 18watt version and the D5 to see how they compare but its pretty time consuming as i'm sure you will appreciate so not sure when that will be.

Anyway on with the results.....

Firstly the Laing DDC 1T 10watt with Modded Alphacool Plexi Top
http://coolercasesuk.co.uk/coolercases/DDC-10watt_Alpha_Modded.jpg

........and then the Laing DDC 1T 10watt with Petra's Tech 01 Top
http://coolercasesuk.co.uk/coolercases/DDC-10watt_Petra.jpg

Laing DDC-1T 18watt with Modded Alphacool Plexi Top
http://coolercasesuk.co.uk/coolercases/DDC-18watt_Alpha_Modded.jpg

As stated previously, i don't profess to being any kind of expert in this field or for that matter having the equipment as they might on other forums but these are my findings from a simple exercise that replicates set-ups used by many people on a day to day basis using a stop watch and a 5ltr container.

Martinm210
02-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Awesome work, I love it!!

I think the pressure drop curves are kind of hard to read sometimes, these are very clear and results oriented.

Excellent!!

Mankz_91
02-03-2008, 02:02 AM
Very nice Paul!

Snyxxx
02-03-2008, 06:55 AM
I will also supply some flow rate results with the Storm (Rev 1) in a little while. I have performed some flow tests and it seems the Storm numbers are off in Martin's flow calculation spreadsheet. Coolmiester's data and mine will hopefully better calibrate the Storm numbers.

Good work Coolmiester.

Tw1st3d
02-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Great Job!

Like that you use different fittings, so actually can see there is a win on 12 mm hose + fitting.

Martinm210
02-03-2008, 07:18 AM
I will also supply some flow rate results with the Storm (Rev 1) in a little while. I have performed some flow tests and it seems the Storm numbers are off in Martin's flow calculation spreadsheet. Coolmiester's data and mine will hopefully better calibrate the Storm numbers.

Good work Coolmiester.

Yeah, I think it depends on which storm model. I found two curves for the storm and the one in the estimator is the less restrictive version. I don't know how all the different storm versions compare in restriction, but there is some difference.

I even noted a small difference in running two MCP chipset block tests. One was more restrictive than the other and they were exactly the same base. Then I looked more closely and noted the more restrictive test was one that had the top tightened down more and the o-ring was more compressed. So in that block there was more water bypassing over the top than the other.

It's amazing how small things make a difference.

coolmiester
02-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Ditto – I’ve noticed two identical pumps can give considerably different numbers which again is a problem when testing is going on from different sources.

And the same fluctuation is known for the top speed of two identical cars.

Durkadurka
02-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Coolmiester, what did you use to measure the flow?