PDA

View Full Version : Filling Loop with Reservoir on Top of Case

hartigan
02-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm going to be filling a loop as diagrammed below and I'm wondering whether I'm going to have to worry about the water not being able to get above the fillport and into the reservoir. The fillport is mounted to the top of the case so I can't really move it above the reservoir. How would I fill this?

I was thinking I might have to unmount the reservoir from the top and place it below the fillport while filling the loop and when done, remount it to the top of the case with the fillport cap screwed tight.

If anyone can suggest anything that may be easier I would appreciate it!!

Thank you.

Mickey Padge
02-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Could you not lay the case down and use a piece of tubing pressed tight to the fill port?

Nate P.
02-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Um... that's the radiator not the reservoir. Anyhow, fill the loop up as much as you can, then power up the pump for a few seconds, top loop up again, power up pump, etc. until the water gets up to radiator.

Mickey Padge
02-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Um... that's the radiator not the reservoir. Anyhow, fill the loop up as much as you can, then power up the pump for a few seconds, top loop up again, power up pump, etc. until the water gets up to radiator.

Haha! Yeah I just looked at the picture more carefully! :p: :D

If you fill your loop up as much as you can, that should let you fire up the pump and then continue to feed more coolant in. Just make sure the pump has liquid on its intake and output before you turn it on, you don't want to run the pump when dry or starved of liquid.

Waterlogged
02-02-2008, 01:48 PM
If you have any extra G1/4" fittings, they will screw into the top of the Delrin/Brass Fill ports. You can then add an extra length of tubing to that to give even more T-line capacity. ;)

hartigan
02-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Right, I accidentally typed reservoir. I think I was so focused on spelling reservoir correctly I didn't realize what I was typing.

Anyway . . .

So you're all saying that the fact that the water in the radiator is higher than the fillport WON'T force water to spill up and out of the fillport. I keep looking at it and thinking I'm going to have a mess because of the water pressure.

IE: the way a water tower holds the water above all of the faucets that it serves. Isn't the radiator sort of like a water tower and will force the water out the fillport?

Mickey Padge: Not sure I understand what you're suggesting but, no, I'm unable to lay the case on its side because the posts holding the radiator are acrylic and will break if any significant sideways pressure is placed on them.

hartigan
02-02-2008, 01:52 PM
If you have any extra G1/4" fittings, they will screw into the top of the Delrin/Brass Fill ports. You can then add an extra length of tubing to that to give even more T-line capacity. ;)

That's sounding like a great solution. Now I have to figure out how, once the loop is filled, to remove the temporary fill line and seal the fillport. Any ideas?

ADD: Perhaps an inline valve on the t-line? or just a crimper until the cap is sealed.

Waterlogged
02-02-2008, 01:59 PM
When the water starts going down really slow, let it get about half way between the T and the fill port and take the barb off. You can then fill from the fill port and cap it with out any problems. If everything is working properly (no leaks), you'll have a vacuum like condition inside the loop and coolant will stay put.

hartigan
02-02-2008, 02:05 PM
When the water starts going down really slow, let it get about half way between the T and the fill port and take the barb off. You can then fill from the fill port and cap it with out any problems. If everything is working properly (no leaks), you'll have a vacuum like condition inside the loop and coolant will stay put.

Thanks a bunch Waterlogged. I trust/believe you, it just seems contrary to my gut instinct.

When you mentioned a vacuum condition in the loop a very dim light of understanding started to sputter. I don't 100% understand why it would work but, it somehow makes enough sense to me.

Thanks again for your help!!

Mickey Padge
02-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Mickey Padge: Not sure I understand what you're suggesting but, no, I'm unable to lay the case on its side because the posts holding the radiator are acrylic and will break if any significant sideways pressure is placed on them.

Well if you turn your picture 90° clockwise, the fillport will be the highest point, but if it would not be stable then obviously best not to try :)

pikkashoe
02-02-2008, 02:36 PM
I have the same set up, except instead of a fill port, i have a micro res below the resovoir. I basically did what Natep said. Fill the loop as much as you can, then turn the pump on, the minute it goes dry, turn it off, repeat until the entire loop is full. Takes about 6 or 7 refills in my case. I have to do it again this week when my GPU Block gets in.

IanY
02-02-2008, 02:41 PM
You've got your setup all mixed up. The fillport should flow right into an inverted T junction right before your pump. The line from your cpu block should flow right into the T line, again just before your pump.

Jimmer411
02-02-2008, 03:09 PM
You know that you can unbolt your radiator from the case while you fill it and once air is bled then bolt it back down?

Same things with unplugging a video card when a waterblock is present. Those seem to be the 2 places that I have issues bleeding air out of.

Waterlogged
02-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Yes as per your diagram it will piss out for you have it on the pressure side of pump.

need to place T on the suction side of pump

oh IanY beat me on the draw.....switch T-line
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71703&stc=1&d=1201993865

And what if he's using a DDC w/top?

IanY
02-02-2008, 03:32 PM
The original setup is correct for a DDC with top, but he really should use a T rather than a Y, and the T should be right before the pump, not halfway between the cpu and the pump.

Nate P.
02-02-2008, 05:34 PM
the T should be right before the pump, not halfway between the cpu and the pump.
Why?

IanY
02-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Why?

Believe it or not, a Y junction somewhat close to the cpu can create some turbulence and can affect the amount of flow via the cpu outlet, however minimal. The further such interference from the cpu, the better. Hence, my recommendation of the T junction right before the pump. Plus, think of a T line. The longer the T line, the more the water in reserve (hence the makeshift reservoir). The shorter the T line, the lower the fluid in reserve. You wouldn't want to have to top off your T line very often, would you ? Another thing, the length of the T line itself has nothing to do with the flowrate through the actual loop.

Nate P.
02-02-2008, 05:42 PM
In a closed loop, why would you have to top it off at all once you get it all bled correctly, etc.? Except, of course, when you overhaul the loop in 3-4 months.

IanY
02-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Have you ever seen your MCRES water volume fall by 2/3 within 2 minutes because some gigantic air bubble in your radiator got bled out ? Do you think that there's a wholelot of water in a short T-line for bleeding ?

Nate P.
02-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Have you ever seen your MCRES water volume fall by 2/3 within 2 minutes because some gigantic air bubble in your radiator got bled out ? Do you think that there's a wholelot of water in a short T-line for bleeding ?
The man makes a good argument...:clap:

NaeKuh
02-02-2008, 05:53 PM
+1 to iany's comment.

also since his radiator is top mounted... your going to need to give your case a good shake while bleeding. or your rad will never fully bleed.

IanY
02-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Easiest way to bleed. Trust me on this. Secure everything. Turn the case upside down. Set the top of the case on a blanket if you want to protect the top of the case from scratching if you have wood floors (no problem on carpet).

For top mounted radiator, upside down case = super fast bleeding