PDA

View Full Version : xbox emulator released!!!

saaya
08-15-2003, 08:28 PM
http://www.caustik.com/cxbx/

halo works, turok evolution and other games will work soon :banana:

nice work guys :toast:

saaya
08-15-2003, 09:58 PM
download it here: ** NOT UNTIL WE MAKE SURE THIS WILL NOT CAUSE LEGAL PROBLEMS FOR XTREME! ** EDITED BY HARDASS.

still has some bugs in the menus and the intro

saaya
08-15-2003, 09:59 PM
but the game works fine afaik

Major
08-15-2003, 10:35 PM
very nice !! I might give it a wirl !

saaya
08-15-2003, 10:40 PM
havent finished the halo dl so i tried some xbox demos, but they dont work properly... but thats because theres no ini files for those demos i guess... it says ini file missing...

STEvil
08-16-2003, 01:42 AM
time to abuse the cable modems at the lan! 8-)

MrLavender
08-16-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by saaya
havent finished the halo dl so i tried some xbox demos, but they dont work properly... but thats because theres no ini files for those demos i guess... it says ini file missing... Post your halo results. I've seen the thread at ngemu about this emulator and I have my doubts...

saaya
08-16-2003, 08:41 AM
i dont think its a fake... ill post results when i get my halo "security copy" :D

saaya
08-17-2003, 04:10 PM
im at 600mb of 2000mb

MrLavender
08-18-2003, 04:39 AM
Save your bandwidth.

From what I can make out amongst all the spam on ngemu the requirements are;

1. a GFFX card
2. a modded xbox which you need to copy some files from.

Even then the ppl who claim to have it working are getting like 5fps max in-game. So it's not exactly playable.

Not much point in an emulator that requires a modded version of the original console in the first place. As a demo of what might be possible it's interesting, if it turns out to be real.

saaya
08-20-2003, 04:56 PM
gffx card and modded xbox? who said that? link?

when i start xeon and select the default.xbe from the first halo cd i get this:

it displays the last frames saved in the wmp frame buffer and then the emulation window closes and i get the normal xeon startup window :confused: looks like a fake :(

MrLavender
08-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Here (http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=40464) is the ngemu thread (started by the Xeon author). There's a lot of spam. :(

Some ppl claim to have it working on GF4 Ti's, others say it needs a GFFX. It definitely doesn't work on ATI cards.

The modded xbox is apparently needed to copy some cache files from that the emulator doesn't create correctly.

Given all that, the consensus now seems to be that it is not a fake. But neither is it in any way playable, or likely to be in the near future.

saaya
08-20-2003, 06:02 PM
there are some very capable people working on it atm...

if they get to work together well se a retail game emulator soon.
cxbx already runs almost all xbox demos and most homebrew xbox stuff! i followed the development of the nintendo 64 emulators some years ago, and from my expirience there we will be able to play retail games in less than 6 months.

is there a way to dl those cache files somewhere?

it should work best on gf4 cards since the xbox basically has a gf4 gpu. hmmmmm cxbx needs some more debugging :/

saaya
08-20-2003, 06:09 PM
oh man i forgot im using my 8500 right now... ill try it with my 4200 tomorrow.

MrLavender
08-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Well if the CXBX and Xeon authors get together you may be right.

Not that xbox emulation is something that I'm very excited about, except for the technical aspect. It's not a favourite of mine. Now if the PSX2 emus ever get to this stage, then I will be happy. :D

saaya
08-21-2003, 10:10 AM
ps2 hardware is too complicated to emulate i think...

game developers HATE to programm and code for the ps2 because its extremely complicated, and they are masters of their work and have the complete source code and know everything about the hardware!

i think a ps2 emulator will be available in 5 years maybe :/

on the other hand sony just released a linux kit and the full source code of their ps2 os to the public a few months ago... this might actually help people to understand the ps2 better and emulate it...

dude i really think this xeon emulator is a fake... look, this is all it ever does, it shows me the last image i have buffered in my memory and then the window closes... here you see the last frame of nature of 2k1 i had been running before i tried xeon with my gf4...

saaya
08-21-2003, 12:09 PM
hmmmm i gerated a patch but i still only get a black screen... but it seems to work as it generates frames... i get around 25-30fps on my p3 700 with a gf4 4200. but i think the fps doesnt say anything.... this is how it looks

MrLavender
08-21-2003, 12:55 PM
Ah well, Halo will soon be out for PC, and probably better than the xbox version if they take advantage of the latest gfx cards.

I never got the hang of playing FPS with gamepads anyway. :D

saaya
08-21-2003, 01:48 PM
yeah fps games with gamepads suck... i wonder if caustik and _sf_ can take advantage of seeing how the halo pc version is diferent from the halo version... im sure they can see what they changed to make it run on the pc and learn from it to make xbox games run better on the pc.

there are quite a lot of xbox games id like to play on my pc...

saaya
08-22-2003, 07:49 PM
hmmm the halo version i have is compiled with a diferent kernel :( only get a black window...

MrLavender
08-23-2003, 10:41 AM
there are quite a lot of xbox games id like to play on my pc... Mmmm, such as?

I've never actually owned a (modern) console. I got into the emu scene mainly because of Bleem!/ePSXe and being able to play Gran Turismo on a PC. And then later Project64/NEMU and Super Mario 64.

ePSXe was also a godsend when Square didn't release FF9 for the PC. :D

But on the whole, there aren't really that many console games that I really want to play. Beat'em'up games don't interest me, and like I said FPS on a console doesn't really work.

I must be getting old. :)

saaya
08-23-2003, 11:01 AM
there are some nice racing games and shooter for the xbox id like to play on my pc...

have you heard of conterstrike for the xbox? hahahaha too funny ^^ they added some weapons like a rocket launcher and other crap and improved the textures... but cs on a console... hahahahha

MrLavender
08-23-2003, 11:14 AM
have you heard of conterstrike for the xbox? hahahaha too funny ^^ they added some weapons like a rocket launcher and other crap and improved the textures... but cs on a console... hahahahha :lol: :rotf:

You're right, that's funny! :lol:

Has anybody bothered hacking it yet? :rotf:

JBELL
08-23-2003, 01:09 PM
there are some nice racing games and shooter for the xbox id like to play on my pc...

have you heard of conterstrike for the xbox? hahahaha too funny ^^ they added some weapons like a rocket launcher and other crap and improved the textures... but cs on a console... hahahahha

ghost recon is soooo much better on console - no more stupid typing ยงยงยงยง you can just talk real time... I will be one of the first to proudly buy CS on XBOX.

saaya
08-23-2003, 06:28 PM
why dont you use voicechat on your pc? its not like consoles can do something pcs cant, and since the pc market is a lot bigger than the console market itll always stay like this.

update: its possible to play the intro movies of all xbox games with the latest cxbx version! all xmv movies work, and to see the bik movies just download the bik player and extract the bik file from the xbox iso or cd/dvd.

heres are some shots from the halo intro :)

saaya
08-23-2003, 06:32 PM
mmmhhh nice :)

saaya
08-23-2003, 06:33 PM

saaya
08-23-2003, 06:36 PM
i wonder why the halo logo is in such a bad quality :confused: the rest of the video is in dvd quality...

saaya
08-30-2003, 09:18 AM
lol caustiks new cxbx version trying to load halo :rotf:

hedge
09-03-2003, 09:46 AM
Well, this news is exciting, but at the same time it isn't. The exciting part is that I could play halo on my pc with a higher quality picture. The not so exciting part is that I have to download Halo or transfer it from my xbox. Neither of which I can do. Darn 26.4k dial-up.

Amoeba Assassin
09-12-2003, 02:09 PM
:rotf: at saayas last pic

saaya
09-13-2003, 12:18 AM
:D custik has a good sense of humer it seems

Amoeba Assassin
09-14-2003, 11:22 AM
so you can only go to the menu of the game?

Sick0fthelies
09-14-2003, 03:40 PM
:eek:

p00sh!t
10-12-2003, 08:59 PM
sweet

space-ghost
10-21-2003, 12:23 PM
<3 cs on pc