PDA

View Full Version : Radiator for dual 80w pelts

2fast4u
08-15-2003, 06:02 PM
What radiator should I use for the 2 mcw50-t's in my rig? I am running a Black Ice Extreme w/102cfm 120mm fan. It is not doing the job. I thought it would. What do I need to do to cool these tecs properly? Chilled water is the least desirable option as this rig is taken to lan parties and is already extremely heavy and large, and a chiller that would be portable costs too much.

Sick0fthelies
08-21-2003, 01:41 PM
How old are you? Where do you get all this money from?

Sick0fthelies
08-21-2003, 01:46 PM
oh, and get either a Black Ice Xtreme II or whatever you can find for $15 at the junkyard from a car for better performance.

afireinside
08-21-2003, 01:52 PM
"How old are you? Where do you get all this money from?"

I want to know to. You look 15-16 in your pic but you have a prommie mach II (1 grand :eek: ) and now your getting dual 80 watt pelts and a PSU?

Also, how the hell do you carry a water cooled xasier(sp?) with a prommie to LAN parites? Isint the case like 35 pounds alone?

The BIX2 is good. It's reccomended for pelts or so they say...

Sick0fthelies
08-21-2003, 01:56 PM
im hoping your avatar is your son?

Thats a $4,000 rig you got there.

afireinside
08-21-2003, 02:00 PM
^^ LOLOLOL
He is probley some spoiled rich kid or a guy with a job who looks really young ;)

Sick0fthelies
08-21-2003, 02:02 PM
wv hills sounds either like a really rich subdivision or some place way out in redneck-ville.

Colin
08-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Guys it's not cool to ask 2fast4u where he gets his $$$ from or how old he is. That's his business and no one elses...

Does it really matter anyway? We're all enthusiasts here.

afireinside
08-21-2003, 04:45 PM
"We're all enthusiasts here." Theres the poor ones like me than theres the luckey rich ones :(

Sick0fthelies
08-21-2003, 05:02 PM
its not like were flaming him for being rich... He doesnt have to answer if he doesnt want to, which he hasnt done so far.

Colin
08-21-2003, 05:09 PM
That's true but you guys shouldn't even question him about it. Why put the guy on the spot like that if you don't have to?

I know I wouldn't like it if someone assume's I'm spoiled cuz I'm young and have some toys.

semester
08-22-2003, 07:53 AM
My experience says DD Heater Core is better then BIX.
And bonus = ½ price.

You can cool a 226w tec with a singel DD heater core, but no more i think.
So that should be enough for two 80w tecs.

afireinside
08-22-2003, 09:04 AM
Hows the DD heatercore compared to the dtek pro core?

semester
08-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by afireinside
Hows the DD heatercore compared to the dtek pro core?

Never use a dtek pro core, but both looks like a chevette heatercore.
So my guess is that it is the same.

Tedinde
08-24-2003, 05:17 AM
2fast4u

Got get a nice heater core down at the auto store. Im using one out of a 79 ford pickup with air, 6x6 inches 4 core, I soldered some 1/2 barb on it and ready to go. Lot cheaper and better than anything you can buy. Mounted in the bottom front of a ANtec case perfect and will fit yours.

And all of you just answer the questions dont attack him, I know it's all in good fun though. That might be his kid in the picture. or him, doesnt matter

And all of us spend more than we should or need on. computers!!! hehe.

2fast4u
08-26-2003, 02:04 AM
Sorry guys, I have been realy busy and unable to respond for a few days. First off, that is my son in the avatar but it is his pc for lan parties. We have a luggage carrier that we use to wheel it around. It doesn't way any more than the 21" monitor that we have been taking to lan's for the past couple of years. Second, the "WV Hills" are just what it says, the hills of WV. HUNTINGTON, Weast Virginia to be exact. I AM NOT OFFENDED BY ANY OF YOUR QUESTIONS AND AM THANKFULL FOR ALL OF THE IMPUT!!!!

afireinside
08-26-2003, 10:53 AM
Oh ok. Not exactly the PC I'd want to take to a LAN.

Sick0fthelies
08-26-2003, 11:14 AM
lol, better than that guy with 2 prommies :p:

Weapon
08-26-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by afireinside
"How old are you? Where do you get all this money from?"

I want to know to. You look 15-16 in your pic but you have a prommie mach II (1 grand :eek: ) and now your getting dual 80 watt pelts and a PSU?

Also, how the hell do you carry a water cooled xasier(sp?) with a prommie to LAN parites? Isint the case like 35 pounds alone?

The BIX2 is good. It's reccomended for pelts or so they say...

lol. I carry a vapochill with a watercooling loop and an external TEC PSU to LAN parties...free workout. :D

back to the heatercore question...

the dtek customs heatercore would do the trick - it is about the same size as the chevette heatercore. With the shroud kit and a good 120mm fan it should handle it.

if you want to make sure, get a '71 caprice heatercore and mod it. I just finished one and it handles hella heavy heat loads with no problem.

pic of the '71 caprice core before it was entirely finished:
http://www.cox-internet.com/weapon/images/heatercore.jpg
I welded the shroud out of a piece of repair metal I found at @utozone when I was waiting for them to dig up the right heatercore. I think I have about $25-30 in the whole thing (including the Sanyo 120s -- I got a case of them awhile back and ended up paying maybe $1.50 per fan) :D

kingassasin
08-27-2003, 04:08 AM
Another easy way to make a shroud is lexan. Took about an 1 1/2 hrs. to make the one on the right. D-tek pro.

http://home.cinci.rr.com/poolguy/wcase3.jpg

2fast4u
08-31-2003, 09:16 PM
I think I have found a solution. I am going with dual fans on the radiator and am in the process of building a water chiller that will mount to the outside of the case. It will consist of another pelt with 2 heatsinks, one cold and one hot, with the cold side enclosed in a watertight box on the return side of the radiator. I will post some pics when done.

\/icious
09-10-2003, 03:57 PM
a water chiller would be huge so good luck mounting it on the out side of your case. As far as rads go there is a single pas rad from a 69-72 chevy pickup i believe that will easily hold 2 120mm fans and should be ample cooling for the 220 watt tec.

2fast4u
09-10-2003, 06:47 PM
The idea is to let the rad bring it down and then run it thru a small chiller on the way to the blocks. It will only be about 6x6x8 inches and weigh a couple pounds.
The water chiller will be on the outlet line of the rad and will consist of:
A waterproof outside electric box from Lowes w/ 1\2inch inlet and outlet.

226W pelt mounted to a modded xaser11 cpu heatsink that will go thru the top of the box and be sealed. The water will go thru this and out of the box.

SLK900 and high cfm fan on hot side of pelt.

psu for pelt.

It will not give me a huge improvement in water temp but should help get it at least to ambient or better before going to water blocks. I have the stuff just sitting here collecting dust so why not? If I only see a few degrees its better than just letting it sit! I am waiting on a friend to finish shaving the xaser11 hs and will post some pics when I get it all ready to go.

Jabo
09-11-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by 2fast4u
The idea is to let the rad bring it down and then run it thru a small chiller on the way to the blocks. It will only be about 6x6x8 inches and weigh a couple pounds.
The water chiller will be on the outlet line of the rad and will consist of:
A waterproof outside electric box from Lowes w/ 1\2inch inlet and outlet.

226W pelt mounted to a modded xaser11 cpu heatsink that will go thru the top of the box and be sealed. The water will go thru this and out of the box.

SLK900 and high cfm fan on hot side of pelt.

psu for pelt.

It will not give me a huge improvement in water temp but should help get it at least to ambient or better before going to water blocks. I have the stuff just sitting here collecting dust so why not? If I only see a few degrees its better than just letting it sit! I am waiting on a friend to finish shaving the xaser11 hs and will post some pics when I get it all ready to go.

Hi everyone

Had similiar idea but was hoping for much better results. 226watt pelt goeas really cool and fast too without mentioning way lower heat loads from WC loop water compared to any modern CPU which on stock volts will always go inot negative Celcius.

I am trembling with anticipation of your results m8!

Keep those bastage sillicone monkeys frozen!

Jabo
09-11-2003, 03:44 AM
I built 'cooling tower for my system which comprises all copper, THICK 'ol SAAB heat core enclosed in quite high mdf box which stands in a corner of my room as a piece of furniture.
Reason?
Keep my battery of fans quiet. It's basically an oversized silencer :D

I was wondering if sticking some tec's at the intake end would help my temps anywhow?

KnightElite
09-11-2003, 08:21 AM
Quite frankly, adding TECs may help a little, but not much. The maximum temperature differential in the water of your cooling loop should be about 1.5ºC , since it doesn't take very long to move all the water completely through a watercooling system.

I would just go with larger radiators, you can get quite close to ambient water temperatures that way.