PDA

View Full Version : NoBS Reviews Presents: Corsair XMS2 DHX (Twin 4GB kit CL5-5-5-18) Review

XtaticOverFSB
01-31-2008, 12:10 PM
NoBS Reviews: Corsair XMS2 DHX Twin 4GB Kit
Written by: Michael N.

Introduction:

Corsair, along with Micron, is one other manufacturer in the US who actually produces their own PCB, memory chips, and assembles the two into a module. Corsair is known for producing high quality modules that are stable, and backed by a limited lifetime warranty.

Today we take look at Corsair’s latest DDR2 brand model of XMS2: the XM2 DHX 4GB 2 X2 GB DDR2 modules. The only question that we now have is: are these modules worth the bang for every buck?

Specifications

Each module set is tested together at 800MHz
Tested and packaged together
Packaged together immediately following
system test
Tested at JEDEC standard latency settings
(5-5-5-18) at 1.8V
SPD programmed at: JEDEC standard 5-5-5-18 values at 800MHz
4096 Megabytes of DDR2 memory
Two matched CM2X2048-6400C5DHX
modules
Designed for 64-bit operating systems
DHX technology for “maximum cooling”
100% tested at 800MHz in high performance
DDR2 motherboards
Lifetime warranty

XMS2 DHX Types

The various medley of enthusiast performance memory comes with packages of 2GB or 4GB PC2 6400 kits with varying timings. For the consumer looking at all of their options, the XMS2 series offers a wide variety of RAM situated to any type of PC.

Meet the Bad Boys

Both RAM modules come finely packaged in a plastic seal container in order of top to top. The design is meant to be more for technical benefits rather than for a fashion façade, but most people will definitely notice both the finely crafted structure and sleek finish.

The optimized “Airflow” design is created through extruded Aluminum Convective Heat Sinks. Each module is surrounded by a total of four heat sinks to take advantage of the airflow from CPU and case fans.
In addition to the optimized Airflow design, Corsair has been searching for years to the answer to provide relief to those who can’t afford to constantly upgrade their RAM and are searching for long time reliability. The answer? DHX. Dual-Path Heat Xchange (DHX) is Corsair’s new method of heat transfer, which it claims enhances performance of memory and reliability. From XM2 DHX and onward, such a heat efficiency transfer setup will be standard for Corsair's future performance-memory modules. The new technology is claimed to offer dual action dissipation through conduction and convection. Thereby, offering performance, stability, and reliability to push a PC into its limits.

Test Setup

System Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model
RAM I 2x 2048 MB DDR2-800 (5-5-5-18)
Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX
GPU: 3 x EVGA 8800GTX SLI (650Mhz)
HDD: 2 x 500GB Seagate

Software
DirectX Version: 10.0
OS Windows Vista x64, RC1 Refresh

For our terrific benchmarks, we chose the EVGA 780i A1 775 motherboard due to its touted overclocking capabilities. Pushing these memory sticks from 1.80V to 2.4V we had no problems at the stock MHz FSB setting. Using the BIOS we set the RAM to 2.4 V and tightening timings of the DIMM’s to CL4-4-4-12 and set the FSB speed to 500Mhz with a 9x multiplier, after which the system starts up and has no stability issues with the setup. Reaching 4.5Ghz with the appropriate Swiftech parts was definitely a gift with such flawless execution. There is still a lot more to see nevertheless with the RAM.

Benchmarking Settings

Crysis

Version: 1.1
Advanced: Very High (All)
AA: 4x
AF: Off

Video

DivX 6.25 Version: 6.25 (4 Logical CPUs)
Certification Profile: High Definition Profile
Multipass, 3000 kbit/s
Encoding mode: Insane Quality
Version: 1.2.0 SMP Beta
Encoding type: Twopass - Single pass
Profile @ Level: DXN HT PAL
Target size (kbytes): 570000

Applications

Adobe Photoshop CS 3
Rendering from 5 Pictures (66 MB, 7 Filters)

Base Tests

Sisoft Sandra XII SP2

Benchmarks

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2682/crysisbmvk0.png

Crysis Analysis: We can see that the enthusiast and generic DDR2-800 modules have identical results and that the overclocked and much higher frequency DDR2-800 has only a marginal effect on Crysis performance. Why? It’s simple: most games, especially a game like Crysis, depends more on a fast graphics resolution and processor than on highest performing memory.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/7273/divxbmre8.png

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9664/xvidbmvt5.png

Divx and Xvid Analysis: The performance gains of high end enthusiast memory can be seen in application performance such as video encoding, which rely heavily on the memory. In these results we can see that the tighter timings of the Corsair DDR2-800 module results in a 4.2% performance gain and the tighter timings and higher voltage of the Corsair DDR2-800 module gives it and a 4.46% gain over the generic DDR2-800 module.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4622/cs3bmvt3.png

Application: Here, we can see a significant difference between the XMS2 with tighter timings and a higher voltage, XMS2 stock, and the generic. The XMS2 takes the cake on tighter timings and the XMS2 stock follows in closely off by 3 seconds. The generic, however, wildly gets trampled by both at 2 minutes and 19 seconds.

SiSoftSandra XII SP2 (No Graph)

Sisoft Sandra XIII SP2

Generic DDR2 Integer Mb/s and Floating Point MB/s: 8319, 8142
DDR2 XMS2 Stock timings: 11982, 11967
Tighter timings: 11984, 11965

Summary

It’s time we realize that Corsair is genius. They released a series product that makes a difference in the huge difference in the enthusiast market space. If you have a powerful platform such as the test one, the XMS2 module will carry you on its wings to the world of unbelievable system performance. Even though memory performance doesn’t ideally create the largest factor in performance boost, it’s impressive to say that the XMS2 DHX product definitely marks its place in the performance suite. As long as you have a reasonable amount of XMS2 memory (ideally 2 GB), and even Auto timings—you will not be sorry. :up:

MuffinFlavored
01-31-2008, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't go as far as saying a huge difference.

8 seconds is good, because time is precise, but I wouldn't say huge.

Intel Pentium II to Wolfdale, huge.

VERY good review. 10/10 :)

Power5
01-31-2008, 01:45 PM
Nice, but how does it compare to non-generic ram? How is it against a Crucial ballistic 800 speed 4gb kit?

Fujimitsu
01-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Nice, but how does it compare to non-generic ram? How is it against a Crucial ballistic 800 speed 4gb kit?

I'd like to see this as well. Considering you can get a solid 4gb kit of brand name ram for under $80 these days.

I like the review, but I think you're overstating quite a bit. The substance of the review is good, but you sound kind of like an excited fanboy

It’s time we realize that Corsair is genius.

the XMS2 module will carry you on its wings to the world of unbelievable system performance.

Seriously? It beats generic RAM in one benchmark by AT MOST 8 seconds? They're powerful yes, but 8 seconds off of two minutes isn't exactly carrying me anywhere.... :rofl:

XtaticOverFSB
01-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi. Yeah I have to agree, 8 seconds isn't a big difference to the normal consumer---and it hardly does make a difference but I'm just looking at the facts and derived everything from that. I did leave out that little bit about it not being too big of a deal--so it kind of sounds like it is.