PDA

View Full Version : New (?) Questions on the Storm

headala
01-30-2008, 07:59 PM
I have an original Swiftech Storm that I plan to use on my new build which will likely include a Nehalem quad-core. Let's just go with the assumption that, even though a new electrical socket will be introduced, I will still physically be able to fit my storm to it.

1) We all know that the storm isn't ideal for today's quad cores, because they are double-dual cores all under one IHS. Will Nehalem's shift to true 'native quad core' bring back the usability of some of the blocks that concentrate the cooling over the center of the IHS?

2) Can a Storm be modified for dual outlets for slightly higher performance? Anybody seen it done somewhere?

3) Can the base of the storm be modified for more comprehenseive cooling? As in, could I make small 'exits' off of the impingement pits to a maze on each side?

Yes, I know I should buy a fuzion. I would just rather spend my money elsewhere and frankly would find modifying the storm enjoyable.

So, what do ya'll think? All sorts of fun project names come to mind: "A Perfect Storm," "A Passing Storm", "A Rising Storm", and, my favorite, since I painted mine candy apple red: "Red Storm Rising" :ROTF:

Conumdrum
01-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Nehalem Storm Rising Mod Block That Roxxors
NSRMBTR dOoD!

That'll do Pig.... Loved that line in the movie.

Boogerlad
01-31-2008, 08:36 AM
I have an original Swiftech Storm that I plan to use on my new build which will likely include a Nehalem quad-core. Let's just go with the assumption that, even though a new electrical socket will be introduced, I will still physically be able to fit my storm to it.

1) We all know that the storm isn't ideal for today's quad cores, because they are double-dual cores all under one IHS. Will Nehalem's shift to true 'native quad core' bring back the usability of some of the blocks that concentrate the cooling over the center of the IHS?

2) Can a Storm be modified for dual outlets for slightly higher performance? Anybody seen it done somewhere?

3) Can the base of the storm be modified for more comprehenseive cooling? As in, could I make small 'exits' off of the impingement pits to a maze on each side?

Yes, I know I should buy a fuzion. I would just rather spend my money elsewhere and frankly would find modifying the storm enjoyable.

So, what do ya'll think? All sorts of fun project names come to mind: "A Perfect Storm," "A Passing Storm", "A Rising Storm", and, my favorite, since I painted mine candy apple red: "Red Storm Rising" :ROTF:

generally, the storm still doesn't do as well as others because of the stupid ihs. If you could remove that, great. However, another factor is the die size of nehalem quad core. I think that you could add a second outlet but i'm not sure.