PDA

View Full Version : What Camera to Buy?

SmaKKed
01-28-2008, 02:48 AM
I am looking for a decent Point and Shoot camera for me and my Wife to use.
SO far i have found a few that i think might suit.

Canon Powershot A570IS
CANON POWERSHOT A560
Fujifilm FinePix S5700
OLYMPUS MJU 760 7.0 MP SILVER.

Now im leaning towards the A570IS as it has image stabalization which is good because my hands are not the most stable. I want it to take nice photos of the kids and some nice outdoor photos.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Budget is around 250 AUD$ (210 USD)

I did have a Fujifilim s5300 but my daughter dropped it ans now its fubared. It was a nice camera but not a real point and shoot type.

Soulburner
01-28-2008, 05:54 AM
The Fujis will take much better indoor pics than any other brand due to their large sensor high ISO performance, I would recommend them.

r3g
01-28-2008, 02:53 PM
^ +1

But if you arent going to use high ISO Id take the 570IS.

SmaKKed
01-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Is teh Fuji easy to use? I dont mind messign with settings as i want to learn but my wife just wanst point and click no messing about?

Soulburner
01-28-2008, 04:22 PM
^ +1

But if you arent going to use high ISO Id take the 570IS.
Even if you don't increase the ISO (why wouldn't you? use the darn camera!) it still will take cleaner pics and let in more light than the competition at the same ISO.

Cpl Ledanek
01-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Canon SD750...cannot recommend this camera enough:up:

You say you got shaky hands try this for less than $20 Joby (http://www.joby.com/)
and 2-10 second timer always works
also has pet/kids autosetting...works with my speedy 2y/o goddaughter

dekruyter
01-28-2008, 05:44 PM
The SD870 is the camera to buy right now.

Wide angle lens
No overkill on pixes, therefore, ok noise
compact
top quality
Digic iii

etc.

r3g
01-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Even if you don't increase the ISO (why wouldn't you? use the darn camera!) it still will take cleaner pics and let in more light than the competition at the same ISO.

You only increase the ISO if you have to. High ISO = noise and noise does not make for clean pictures no matter how you look at it. Using flash would be a better alternative. Also IS is very handy AND the Canon is smaller.

Oh and the Canons aperture range is f/2.6 - 5.5 while the S5700 is f/3.5 - 3.7 so the Canon will expose slightly better then the Fuji up until a certain focal length. If you want to get the most exposure possible a faster lens is priority not higher ISO. And since these pictures will be indoors I think its safe to assume the OP wont be using the mid and long end of the zoom range much which means the Canon is faster and will expose better.

And for the record the SD750 would be a much better choice then the Fuji and any A series camera.

Cpl Ledanek
01-28-2008, 07:36 PM
@dekruyter ...is the Digic iii the newest one? from what I read in dpreview, the SD800-SD1000 didn't have this, to give these camera other features---it was so silly that Canon had to take a loss on the SD1000 selling it under $200 to rid of its stock.

Glad they put it back...wide angle lens are really awesome during scenic vacations.
+1 me on SD870 then:up:

SmaKKed
01-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Canon SD750...cannot recommend this camera enough:up:

You say you got shaky hands try this for less than $20 Joby (http://www.joby.com/)
and 2-10 second timer always works
also has pet/kids autosetting...works with my speedy 2y/o goddaughter

Looks alright but whats the main difference between this and the a570IS?
Sorry total N00b when it comes to cameras

The SD870 is the camera to buy right now.

Wide angle lens
No overkill on pixes, therefore, ok noise
compact
top quality
Digic iii

etc.

Not available in Australia yet.

r3g
01-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Looks alright but whats the main difference between this and the a570IS?
Sorry total N00b when it comes to cameras

Not available in Australia yet.

The SD series cameras are higher end the the A series. They offer better image quality, better build quality, more features like face detection, and are more compact.

SmaKKed
01-28-2008, 09:49 PM
CHeers, It looks good but to small for me i think. WIll go to a shop and try some out first i think.

r3g
01-28-2008, 10:14 PM
best way to pick a camera is to get hands on experience so play with them and see what feels good to you:)

Soulburner
01-29-2008, 03:02 AM
You only increase the ISO if you have to. High ISO = noise and noise does not make for clean pictures no matter how you look at it. Using flash would be a better alternative. Also IS is very handy AND the Canon is smaller.

Oh and the Canons aperture range is f/2.6 - 5.5 while the S5700 is f/3.5 - 3.7 so the Canon will expose slightly better then the Fuji up until a certain focal length. If you want to get the most exposure possible a faster lens is priority not higher ISO. And since these pictures will be indoors I think its safe to assume the OP wont be using the mid and long end of the zoom range much which means the Canon is faster and will expose better.

And for the record the SD750 would be a much better choice then the Fuji and any A series camera.
My point was, look at the sensor being used. This has a large effect on image noise.

The Canons use a sensor that is 1/2.5". Some Fujis use a sensor that is 1/1.6" which is much larger and will capture detail with less noise. This is very important indoors where you have low light - higher ISO ability lets you take better pictures. You get more light, less noise and faster shutter speeds. Not all of their cameras have this sensor though, and you should do your research before buying. The thing is, there aren't any other camera makers that put near SLR size sensors in any point and shoot.

The Fuji F30/40/50 series will take pictures at 800 ISO with the same noise as the Canon ELPH at 200. They will take better low-light and indoor photos, period.

I don't understand why the Digital ELPH (Ultra-Compact) are even being considered alongside the Fuji S5700 (SLR-Like Point and Shoot). They are definetely not in the same category. The S5700 in fact uses a 1/2.5" CCD which will get you more noise than their compact F30/40/50 compact series cameras. I would take a look at those.

SmaKKed
01-29-2008, 07:18 PM
SO anymore thoughts?
Canon 570IS or the Fuji s5700?
Ive narrowed it down to these 2 but still want others opinions?

tetete
02-17-2008, 04:27 AM
Panasonic LX2

28mm is nice, and the lens quality is very decent.

Best or one of the best DSLR backup point and shot out there

SmaKKed
02-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks People , well i bought my Wife a A550 and went and splurged on a canon 350d kit for myself LOL

MaxxxRacer
02-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks People , well i bought my Wife a A550 and went and splurged on a canon 350d kit for myself LOL

I see the pull to SLR was too strong to resist. but now for the expensive part.. Lenses.

SmaKKed
02-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Yes it was hard to resist:P
Im looking forward to learning how to use it, ill keep the kit lens for a bit befor ei buy another

MaxxxRacer
02-21-2008, 01:53 AM
something to consider for your next lens. I will be purchasing the Nikon equivalent of this lens as soon as I can gather the funds.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=150&modelid=11922

Soulburner
02-21-2008, 02:55 AM
something to consider for your next lens. I will be purchasing the Nikon equivalent of this lens as soon as I can gather the funds.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=150&modelid=11922

Oh yes...me too :eek:

MaxxxRacer
02-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Oh yes...me too :eek:

lol. I have been drooling over the the Nikon version for my D40x. The really nice thing about the Nikon 70-300 is that it is made for full frame cameras and uses a nice large 67mm filter mount. Since I will be using camera with a 1.5x crop factor you are always taking photos in the sweet spot of the glass (the center). Due to this, the lense easily rivals the 70-200 F2.8 VR in image quality without the 1800 dollar price tag.

Now I just have to convince my GF that I need to buy it before my B-day in July.

Soulburner
02-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Are you talking about the Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6 VR for $450?

I have a big decision to make this year in this regard. I want to move to SLR...but I have to decide what system I am going to be buying into. Don't worry about replying here, it will just take the thread off topic. Months of research and discussion ahead :)

That is one of the lenses I want though.

MaxxxRacer
02-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Are you talking about the Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6 VR for $450?

I have a big decision to make this year in this regard. I want to move to SLR...but I have to decide what system I am going to be buying into. Don't worry about replying here, it will just take the thread off topic. Months of research and discussion ahead :)

That is one of the lenses I want though.

Yes, this is the lens I am talking about. From what I have read its better than the Canon equiv, but I have not read much about the Canon. Whereas with the NIkon lens i have read the first 20 pages of Google results on it. As soon as it comes into stock I will be checking it out at my local camera store.