PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Nigeria? Look how many people are trying to scam me:

Daveb2012
01-25-2008, 08:00 PM
I really don't understand why there government could care less about the concentration of scam's going on full time out of this country. I also don't know why other country's like the US don't try to step in to do any thing. Let me show you some thing, I posted 1 ad on Craigslist selling a laptop, and THESE are the emails I have received so far regarding that ad, I traced IP's all back to Africa (24 emails *Caution* do not runs spell check on this thread or your computer may explode):

1) "Hello,
I will like to buy this item from you but I need your assurance-if the
item is in good condition.
Dbang Tonny."

2) "hello,i saw your advert on the craig's and i want to know if this is
still available and get back to me with the price,condition and the recent pics of this item so
that we can schedule time for the pickup because am really intrested
in buying it so get back to me....
regards"

3) "Hello.
I would like to buy your Toshiba Laptop CENTRINO w/ XP, Office 07 & Spy Sweeper w/ AV installed - $450 which you wanna for sale I saw the advert on craigslist and i am interested in buying it and i want it fast.I should have bargain on the price but due to my quick want of the item i would settle for that amount. I would like to make arrangement for the payment of the item now and i want you to know that i will be paying you with a cashier's check.If you are okay with my procedures you should get back with the name and address you want the cashier's check issued to so i can forward it to my secretary asap to write the cashier's check in the name provided and mail to the address with phone
number.
I would be so glad if you can sell this item to me as i am very much in need of it.As for the pick up i will have one of my worker to come for the pick up after you notify that you have got and cashed the cashier's check sent to you.Get back to me asap so i can know the next step
to take.
I will be waiting to read a reply from you soonest.
Stay Blessed and Best Regards. "

4)Hello seller,
I'm interested in the mediate purchased of your listed on
craigslist..org..Please email me at your earliest
convenience. withthe last asking price ,presentcondition,are u the
owner of it and ifis still available for sale.And
payment will be made by a certified check...So get back to me if this
can be solve"

5) "Hi
I am sorry for my late responds . I will like to let you know that i am out of state now . for some good reason that matters to my . But I have make a proper arrangement on how the {Toshiba Laptop CENTRINO w/ XP, Office 07 & Spy Sweeper w/ AV installed} will be shipped to my House . I am Ok by the price which is {$45} . And base on my arrangement I have also contacted my client to send you a CHECK of {$1400} that will cover the money for the item and for the shipping .My Private shipper will take care of the shipping in your home alone with two other GOODS i placed in his other that is one of the reason you are having an Over Draft Check to cover your money and his won Fund As long as you can follow the procedure . Things Goes easy .
1 :-- As soon as you get my CHECK CASHED . Deduct your own money
4 :-- Send the balance Via Wester Union Or Money Gram Transfer to the shipper .So he can be able to come over for the shipping
5 :-- Hope i can trust you and If capable of this if so get back to me A. S. A. P . with this details so that i can make it known to my client to send you the check .
Full Name ...
Address ....
State .....
City .....
Zip code ....
Country .....
email:--
Phone Number ....
Note :--- Giving us this information will help me more in sending the check to your home and un-behave of your real name ..and email so that i can be able to contact you via email also
Thanks..
PAUL TANUS"

6) "Dear seller,
Its my pleasure to introduce myself to you, I fortunately came across your Item on craigslist.org and am really interested in purchasing this iteam from you as soon as I hear back from you, I will like to know the condition of the iteam and I will like you to advise me if this will be a good New Year present for a Fiancee of mine in West Africa Nigeria ,If this will be a good and well presentable gift due to the nature of his business and situation of his work, I will like to make an immediatepayment for the iteam. I will like you to send me your full name and address zipcode, city and country and also calculate the total cost of the shipment to West Africa Nigeria so I can send out money to you, Am sending out money immediately true money order or cashier check or Bank to Bank transfer . bye for now and hope to hear from you soon."

7)"Hello,
My name is jenifer hope and will like to know if the above item is still available for sale will like to buy this item so please do withdraw the advert from craigslist . I will also like you to know that i will be paying via Certified Check....get back to me if you are ok with these plan
I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the check
Thanks."

8)hello seller
i am interested in buying your item i will like to
ask you wherethere you are the owner of the item and
i will like to know the final asking price of the
item i will be handling the pick up of the item my
self i will like to pay you thru the mode of cashier
cheque thanks hope to hear from you"

9) "Sorry for the delay, i am hoping to buy your computer for my niece as a new year gift. She travelled to West Africa to spend sometime with her parents, i will like the computer to be delivered to her.I will be adding an extra $135 for expenses and shipment fees and i will be making the payment through paypal. If you have a paypal account send me a paypal money request to my paypal email address maryjohnson@live.com and if you dont have, go the paypal.com and sign up, its free and send me your full name and your paypal email address so that i can pay in the money immediately. Hoping to hear from you soon, thanks."

10) "Hello
i saw you advert place on craigslist and i am interested in buying it. i will be paying by check in US$, concerning the shipping of the item my mover will be coming for the pickup as soon as the payment check clears in your bank. upon your confirmation of receiving the payment and i dont want you to look for another buyer and i want you to remove the advert from craigslist and consider the item sold to me. i would have come to view the item but i am not around for now. i will send you the tracking number of the payment. I will be needing the following for the payment to be done as soon as possible
Your full name
Address
City
Zip Code
Phone Number Including land Line

I will be waiting to read back from you
Regards"

11)
Good morning
i came across your item online for same and i want to know the condition of it and the final asking price., and if you have any available pics send it to me pls ,because i am interested in purchasing it so i want you to give me your final asking price for the item
so get back to me with your final asking price i look forward to hearing from you soon.so i can
send the payment ASAP
get back to me with your final asking price
Michael"

12) heres a fake paypal payment from one: "Item #200884393001 - Notification of an Instant Payment Received from Mary Johnson (maryjohnson@live.com)
From: sendmail@paypal.com on behalf of Mary Johnson (maryjohnson@live.com)
Add contact Add contact
Sent:
Tues 1/22/08 03:30 PM
To:
Dave Bohr (daveb1982@gmail.com)

PayPal

Dear Dave B,

You have an Instant Payment of $585.00 USD from Mary Johnson (maryjohnson@live.com)

This transaction involves international shipping, though the shipping address status has been confirmed to be safe for shipping, paypal requires you to ship the item and send the tracking number to us and the buyer.
Once we receive the shipment tracking number you can View the details of this transaction online

It will take untill we receive the shipment tracking number of this item for this transaction to appear in the Recent Activity list on your Account Overview. To send the tracking number login into your paypal account, click on Request money, type the "Recipient Email", then type "1" on the amount, select "Goods(Other)" on Type, then type in the shipment tracking number and the Transaction ID and in the "Note" send. The message will be sent to both the buyer and paypal, once we receive it we will get back to you.

Mary Johnson is a certified paypal member which makes this transaction a confirmed, safe and Paypal guarranteed transaction.

Payment Details

Purchased From:craigslist
Transaction ID:4HV0242776613555B

Item # Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal
200884393001 Toshiba Laptop CENTRINO w/ XP, Office 07 & Spy Sweeper w/ AV installed 1 $450.00 USD $450.00 USD

Shipping & Handling should be via USPS Express Mail International (3-5days)
$135.00 USD
Paypal requires you to ship the item and send the tracking number to us for verification while your money is under process. This transaction will not reflect in your paypal account until we confirm your tracking number. This is one of the measures taken to avoid fraudulent activities.
Total: $585.00USD

Shipping Information: You are to ship the item to the address below
Address: Frank Okpala
Nigeria Postal service Nnewi, Anambra State, 23446
Nigeria
Shipping Method: Express Mail International
Address Status: Confirmed"

13)The item would be shipped to Nigeria, so here is the address:
NAME: AMOSUN ADEFEMI
ADDRESS: AIDIGBE,MEMORIAL HOUSE,OLUWO,ONIKOLOBO
CITY: ABEOKUTA
STATE: OGUN-STATE
ZIP CODE: 23439.
, so let me have your paypal address, so that i can make the payment

14)"Hello,
Kindly let me know if the above item listed still available for sale.Hope to read back from you soon.Thanks"

15) "

hi seller,i am kate stewart an american expatriate living in New Zealand.i want to buy this item for my son who is on a research programme at the University of Ibadan (U.I) Nigeria in West Africa....i dont have any idea of the shipping cost thru UPS but i hope to add an extra $250 as cost for international shipment or you can tell me the shipping price if that will not be enough.i am hoping to pay you thru paypal and you can send your verified paypal invoice to me if you are willing to sell .i hope to read from you asap.
kate"

16) "Is this item still available?get back to me asap,am buying it with good offer."

17) "hello seller,my name is kory wessel,i am from Arizona, my friend told me about this site and i`m really interested in ur item and wish
to buy it.so plz
let me know the total cost + shipp cost so that i can make the payment
via paypal so send ur paypal id to me so that i can make the payment,
also you may contact me on this

906 450 6873,

Regard"

18)hello dear seller,
i am cynthian webb from state,i will
to buy your item for my adopted child in
western region of africa for her
project,so if the item is in good
condition plz let me know ASAP,and i am
ready to pay u via PAYPAL and
USPSMONEYORDER,so if u are interested to
sell the item for me plz get back to
quickly,and this is my daugther adress ,
name adesoji ademakinwa
adress sw7/180a,bola avenue,surulere,oke bola,
city ibadan
state oyo
zipcode 23402
country nigeria,
plz let me if the condition of the item is ok,cos my adopted child
needs
the item ugently for her project in school
bestwishes
cynthian webb

19)hello dear seller,
i am cynthian webb from state,i will
to buy your item for my adopted child in
western region of africa for her
project,so if the item is in good
condition plz let me know ASAP,and i am
ready to pay u via PAYPAL and
USPSMONEYORDER,so if u are interested to
sell the item for me plz get back to
quickly,and this is my daugther adress ,
name adesoji ademakinwa
adress sw7/180a,bola avenue,surulere,oke bola,
city ibadan
state oyo
zipcode 23402
country nigeria,
plz let me if the condition of the item is ok,cos my adopted child
needs
the item ugently for her project in school
bestwishes
cynthian webb"

20"I am interested in this item and I want to buy it outrightly. For a quick sale, I will pay you $500 and $100.00 to ship it via USPS GLOBAL EXPRESS 3-4 DAYS.Or by USPS GLOBAL EXPRESS If my offer is okay with you, Kindly send me your PayPal e-mail address so I can remit payment to you at once for the item.The item is going to ship to West Africa in Nigeria ok so if you accept mail me back or you should contact me on this number +447024038138, i will like to hear from you soon as possible.

Thanks"

21)Thanks for the reply,Im so excited that the item is still available for sale and i will like to know if you can help in the

shipment to my son's for His 20th Birthday and i will pay the shipment cost.He is presently studying arts and costume in

Africa,I would have said I should come there and pick it up from you and do the shipment...but our commander wont allow me to

leave the barract..I'm local but presently stationed in Fort Lewis Barrack IN WA as a Ranger.
So it wont be easy for me to come there and pick it up and do the neccessary shipment,so i will like you to help me with

that,the item can be shipped via EMS Speed Post at Post Office.
The shipment address is
12 parkhill Hostel Iworoko,
City:Ado-Ekiti
Zipcode:23430
So I will like you to get back to me with the shipment cost and the total cost,so that i can make the payment via Paypal

ASAP.

Cheers!
Lashonta

22)hello seller,
my name is kelly weet,am from united states am live at 2001-A Puaala Lane Honolulu,Hi 96819, my friend tell me about this site and i really intrested in ur item and i want to buy it for my daugther who school in west african (nigeria)so plz let me know the total cost + shipp cost so that i can make the payment with via paypal so send ur paypal id to so that i can make the payment, also you can concate the on this 647024076,"

23) "
hello seller,
i will like to know if this item posted for sale is in good condition..."

24)"Oh am very sorry for late response,I am interested in your item and am sending this to my Grandson that recently traveled to abroad (Nigeria) for a research program.Also , tell me present conditions of this item and i will pay you $800 for the payment including shipping of this item. This item is to be shipped directly from you to Grandson address at abroad via USPS ( EMS ) Global Express Mail. My mode of payment is Paypal or Usps Money Order. Lastly, for the payment processes, give me your full payment details, so that i can make the transaction faster.Kindly closeup this auction because am ready to make payment if you get back to me.
Thank"

AngryArtichoke
01-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah, it really is pathetic. That's why they say, "avoid scams by dealing locally."

Reznik Akime
01-25-2008, 10:42 PM
I quit reading after the fifth one and started to think about the folks who get caught with these things. The CEO of my corp in Eve and her soon to be were scammed on Craig's when they were buying something for a car. Lost 6k.

I used to say that people usually deserve something like this because of their ignorance but when it happens to good folk you know you kinda think a bit more on the matter. $6000 dollars is a lot of cash to just give up like that.

AngryArtichoke
01-25-2008, 10:53 PM
I quit reading after the fifth one and started to think about the folks who get caught with these things. The CEO of my corp in Eve and her soon to be were scammed on Craig's when they were buying something for a car. Lost 6k.

I used to say that people usually deserve something like this because of their ignorance but when it happens to good folk you know you kinda think a bit more on the matter. $6000 dollars is a lot of cash to just give up like that.

6k?? That's an insane amount of money to lose

Daveb2012
01-25-2008, 11:20 PM
6k?? That's an insane amount of money to lose

The only way I could forget such an event, would be to become a multi-millionaire. I hate these scamers, I know it sounds evil but I would like to lock them some of these emailers in a room with me and beat them sense less.

aaronjames31
07-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I was trying to sell my computer and i had someone say they wanted it but i got a strange email telling me i had to give a shipment tracking number before I cold receive this persons payment through paypal. I almost did this actually when i realized that the address i was shipping to was... NIGERIA!!! So i got kinda weirded out and looked a little closer to the email i got from paypal (supposedly from paypal... bullsh*t). I got a transaction ID number off the email and typed it into google. pressed enter... and guess what. It is the same transaction ID number as the one you got listed above.

Tansaction ID: 4HV0242776613555B

WOW i almost did it too. i feel like an idiot. hahaha assh*les in Nigeria.

[XC] Lead Head
07-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Report all the paypal scams to paypal themselves, send them the e-mails in their entirety. Report everything to Craigslist, and if you can, try and report all of them to the Cyber Crimes division of the FBI.

http://www.fbi.gov/cyberinvest/cyberhome.htm

To many people complain about scams but don't do anything about it. The Government and various companies involved can't do everything on their own.

ben805
07-01-2009, 10:56 AM
hmmm.....if you know they're scammer why not have them give you a prepaid shipping label, and load up the shipping box with a bunch of junk from your trash bin? :D

wondergod
07-01-2009, 11:07 AM
hmmm.....if you know they're scammer why not have them give you a prepaid shipping label, and load up the shipping box with a bunch of junk from your trash bin? :D

ebola? :) Or is that too mean? anthrax?

ferrari_freak
07-01-2009, 11:12 AM

Lol I read a story like that a while back about someone who tried to scam this guy of his Powerbook. The guy selling it caught on and posted it on a forum. They collected some money and sent him a binder saying "PPPPowerbook" on the top and a marker drawn keyboard on it. He also said that the merchandise was worth $2000 and the scammer had to pay a good deal of money to customs. Hopefully someone has the link and can post it up.

Rise
07-01-2009, 11:22 AM
er it seems like half of them are looking more for identity theft rather than just stealing your item... and then it looks like some others are trying to do both?

i'd like to put together a nigerian think-tank and see what comes out of it :rofl:

bernie madoff? :p:

MikeB12
07-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Holy thread revival..

last post 01-26-2008, 02:20 AM

revived Today 07-01-2009, 02:28 PM

ben805
07-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Nigeria have been infested with scammer for years, personally I have not seen or heard of any legit business dealing come out of that country. Some of them sneaky scumbags even have connection (the middle man) reside in UK or somewhere else in Europe to receive the package for them, then re-ship them back to Nigeria afterward. Back in 2002 I got scammed out of a $2200 brand new laptop, back then I wasn't aware of those scam artist from Nigeria, didn't catch the mistake I made till a day after I shipped out the package via USPS....and it was already too late, USPS refused to stop the package for me while the package was still in transit within the US, contacted law enforcement but they couldn't do a damn thing either! I was so mad I even looked into flying to Nigeria to intercept the package at the shipping carier near the destination, but my colleagues and friends talked me out of it so I sucked up the stupid mistake I made. Ever since then I refused to do transaction of any kinda oversea and would only deal with the local within the US.

WrigleyVillain
07-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Hopefully someone has the link and can post it up.

No but a Google search for "PPPowerbook" did the trick! ;)

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

SNiiPE_DoGG
07-01-2009, 12:26 PM
No but a Google search for "PPPowerbook" did the trick! ;)

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

great read, makes me want to do it just for fun :rofl:

Shogan
07-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Coming from Africa I know all about these useless bastards. They are the scum of the earth. All it takes is a bit of spelling error spotting to pick them up. Also look carefully at the sender's e-mail address. I once created an e-mail account just to screw one of them around - replied to a scam email I got and just kept on leading them on until they got tired of being messed around. Here is a great site that does this to them all the time : http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/ - Some really hilarious pranks here! Serves them right :D

road-runner
07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Probably coming from all those one laptop for child that everyone sent out... :shakes:

[XC] gomeler
07-01-2009, 03:20 PM
holy cow, hilarious pppppowerbook!

RADCOM
07-03-2009, 08:10 AM
It's actually "umpteenth" but I digress......there are scammers all over the world but the Russians and Nigerians became so good at it that they became quite blatant and have built up quite a rep. It doesn't help when the postal system there can be extremely corrupt. Having said that scams the bankers pulled over the last few years pales in comparison :P

Shocker003
07-03-2009, 08:58 AM
/snip...

If you have the balls then do this...;)
Please can you ask one of those scumbags to send you 50$ to show that he really wants buy it(NO MONEY ORDER OR ANY FORM OF TRANSFER!! Insist on western Union). Equally write that part of the money will be used for shipping and he can send the balance when you give him the tracking number. If he does; Send him a pack of smarties which will melt before it gets to Nigeria.:up:

fallwind
07-04-2009, 02:08 AM
Now if you're really brave, you can talk the scammer into sending a DHL call tag for the item and ship them a 300lb broken down old stove, being sure to mark the value at like $5000 for duty! :D http://www.thescambaiter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109 These guys did it to one scammer several times and cost him something like $30k in shipping, brokerage and customs fees. :o

antiacid
07-04-2009, 11:29 AM
that is exacly why scambaiting exists!

http://www.419eater.com/

they scam the nigerians who tried to scam them! Some of those nigerians got tatooed, got silly pictures, paid thousands of dollars, etc.

Still, it will never compensate for the people who died in failed ransoming attempts from nigerian scammers. As for money, there was a woman who went public after losing 320 000$ to a scammer (remortgaged the house, the car, emptied husband's saving account 5yrs from retirement, etc) while everyone she knew was telling her to stop because it was most likely a scam. Greed is powerful.

As usual, if it looks too good to be true, it most likely is.

RADCOM
07-04-2009, 10:20 PM
The Anus laptop bait is one of the funniest things I have seen for a while

HitandRun
07-05-2009, 12:34 AM
gomeler;3881518']holy cow, hilarious pppppowerbook!

Yeah this was a great read!

Now if you're really brave, you can talk the scammer into sending a DHL call tag for the item and ship them a 300lb broken down old stove, being sure to mark the value at like $5000 for duty! :D http://www.thescambaiter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109 These guys did it to one scammer several times and cost him something like $30k in shipping, brokerage and customs fees. :o

The ANUS bait is the best read ever! Man I was reading the entire thread and was laughing so hard! :rofl::rofl::rofl: Geez I'm hooked now and could just keep reading all night! :D:rofl:

MomijiTMO
07-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Can I just say you are stupid if you bash Nigerians. Their country is a failed state. End of story.

HitandRun
07-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Their country is a failed state

So this is an excuse for them to scam the rest of the world? I don’t think so mate! :rofl:

MomijiTMO
07-05-2009, 01:30 AM
Umm hello, they can't buy any essential items [ie food] due to insane inflation. When people are desperate they will try anything.

What would you know? You just come off as another ignorant dude on the internet. If I was stuck in Nigeria with no foreign money, I'd be hungry enough to try just about anything.

HitandRun
07-05-2009, 02:30 AM
You just come off as another ignorant dude on the internet.

He he! Yeah and you sound like the Robin Hood! If you so concerned with their well being why don't you send them some of your hard worked for cash over. :clap: Something tells me you have some strong ties to them! :D Are you one of them? :welcome: I think we have all said and do not bother to respond my friend!

MomijiTMO
07-05-2009, 02:50 AM
Yes I am a Nigerian and you are a smart person.

If you have any clue of what a failed state is, then you would know that it is not something that can be directly solved with money, instead the country's political system, economy and judicial system need restructuring. Either go hit up google and lose the smart alex remarks or shut up.

Shocker003
07-05-2009, 05:41 AM

If you have any clue of what a failed state is, then you would know that it is not something that can be directly solved with money, instead the country's political system, economy and judicial system need restructuring. Either go hit up google and lose the smart alex remarks or shut up.

Which part of Nigeria are from?
I hate how these scammers soil the Name of the country. Life is pretty hard down there but most young men want easy money than sweating it out to make it. On the other hand i always presume that whoever gets scammed is a greedy fool as most of them want easy money too; Who will on a normal day tell you that he will give you an over drafted money order. Guys should take note that there is pratically everything one needs in Nigeria. Laptops, pcs etc and they are cheaper than the ones over here(China imports) i hope you gentlemen will understand the picture am trying to paint

HitandRun
07-05-2009, 07:03 PM

Why so angry right away my friend? Looks like you made it out of the mess right? This makes me assume that everybody else could do this also. Now don't push it or you get a vacation! :rofl: :ROTF:

ownage
07-06-2009, 02:26 AM
I have read an interesting article about those Nigerian scammers. They had interviewed a 14 year old boy. He told the reviewers that young boys from his age are recruited in bars. They just come to the bar, have a talk with the big guys, get a computer and an internet connection and then they could scam like crazy. I don't know when that boy started, but at 14 years old he was already a millionaire (in US dollars). Can you imagine what kind of money teh upper-management makes with all the scamming?