PDA

View Full Version : DDCT-01s Custom Acetal DDC Pump

hollaback04
01-23-2008, 08:21 PM
hi guys i want to know if this pump http://www.petrastechshop.com/peddcudeddcp.html will cool off my 8800gt with Swiftech MCR-220, i want to stay as cheap as possible beacuse im not going to overclock my video. aiming for idel ~35c load ~50c. Im planning to get a thermochill 120.3 for my E6850 i really want to overclock it to 4ghz, currently running MCR-220 with Swiftech MCP655-B at 3.9ghz idel 32c load 56c. Or should i use a single loop thermochill 120.3 + MCR-220 and dont need that DDCT-01s pump? what do you guys think? thank you for the help. :D

Eddie3dfx
01-23-2008, 08:33 PM
I don't think the 8800gt even gets to 50c under load (properly watercooled)
The gt's run pretty cool, especially all by an mcr220, you should be more than fine

hollaback04
01-23-2008, 08:50 PM
thx for the reply but is that pump any good i like the price :)

silverphoenix
01-23-2008, 08:59 PM
It's a great pump esp with that top. But After seeing all these stories of even the new 3.2 revisions dying one thing seems to be common, the bottoms were somehow insulated, mine's been running fine I have some airflow under the pump and it is kept cool, so make sure you do that if you get this pump.

evil-98
01-23-2008, 09:00 PM
thats not a pump thats a top.

hollaback04
01-23-2008, 09:05 PM
thats not a pump thats a top.

oh shoot almost place an order lol thx a lot man :up:

hollaback04
01-23-2008, 09:08 PM
how about this setup Swiftech MCP655-B thermochill 120.3 > cpu > Reservoir > MCR-220 > NB > SB > GPU ?
or should i make two loops?

silverphoenix
01-23-2008, 09:30 PM
1st which blocks are you using. If your going MCW60 and Fuzion you can probably get away with one D5.

hollaback04
01-23-2008, 09:35 PM
cpu APEX-GT
gpu maze 5
nb/sb mcw 30

Martinm210
01-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Get the regular MCP 655 if you want setting 5, the basic model MCP655-B is stuck at setting 4, so it's not nearly as powerful as a variable version.

You can try both out in my flow rate estimator and decide for yourself.

perfection
01-24-2008, 01:24 AM
dammit, was expecting a custom made acetal DDC pump top.

rogard
01-24-2008, 02:35 AM
dammit, was expecting a custom made acetal DDC pump top.

lol me 2

Eddie3dfx
01-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Martin, have you heard of anyone making the 4 into a 5 on the b-model?
Google turned up very little.

hollaback04
01-24-2008, 01:12 PM
thank you all of u guys for the help
im running
E6850 @ 3.9ghz 32c idel 56c load with APEX-GT
Northbridge MCW30 idel 31C load 41C
xfx geforce 8800gt with Maze 5 (not sure if it is a maze 5 or 4 ordered a maze 5 from danger den, but it came with maze 4 installation menu) idel 23C amident 30c *load will test with call of duty 4.
MCR-220 + MCP655-B im very very very...... happy with the temp result im getting from my maze5. guess i dont need to spend more money on water cooling. cheers guys and thanks again :)

BrokeDown
01-24-2008, 02:19 PM
It's a great pump esp with that top. But After seeing all these stories of even the new 3.2 revisions dying one thing seems to be common, the bottoms were somehow insulated, mine's been running fine I have some airflow under the pump and it is kept cool, so make sure you do that if you get this pump.

I haven't been on here very long but haven't seen any 3.2 pump threads.

Whats causing the failures? I've got the neoprene pad under my pump, so hopefully it doesn't make it heat up.

Eddie3dfx
01-24-2008, 02:49 PM
If $28.95 was the price of the pump, I would be running 6 loops ;)

hollaback04
01-25-2008, 09:17 AM
w00t my 8800gt with maze 5 full load is 29C gonna overclock it too lol since the temp is so low

Xilikon
01-25-2008, 09:27 AM
I haven't been on here very long but haven't seen any 3.2 pump threads.

Whats causing the failures? I've got the neoprene pad under my pump, so hopefully it doesn't make it heat up.

The heat will get out from the bottom and if you put it on a neoprene or gel pad, you are trapping the heat in that area. This will cause a failure after a few weeks/months. It's imperative to have enough air circulating on the bottom so you may need to find better ways to mount it.

Also, with a neoprene pad, if the pump decide to leak a bit, it will get soaked and this will short the circuit when the fluid will ooze thru the bottom (around the circle).

RubberDuck
01-25-2008, 10:22 AM
It's imperative to have enough air circulating on the bottom so you may need to find better ways to mount it.

Mount it something like this

Laing DDC-3.2 Pump with Petra's DDC-01s Top & a 120mm Fan blowing on pump
http://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/4/1/14/f_DSCF00011m_f0415b8.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/1/14/f_DSCF00011m_f0415b8.jpg&srv=img28)

Xilikon
01-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Mount it something like this

Laing DDC-3.2 Pump with Petra's DDC-01s Top & a 120mm Fan blowing on pump
http://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/4/1/14/f_DSCF00011m_f0415b8.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/1/14/f_DSCF00011m_f0415b8.jpg&srv=img28)

Yes, this is the ideal way and mine is installed the same.

Petra
01-25-2008, 10:58 AM
The heat will get out from the bottom and if you put it on a neoprene or gel pad, you are trapping the heat in that area. This will cause a failure after a few weeks/months. It's imperative to have enough air circulating on the bottom so you may need to find better ways to mount it.

*sigh* ...

You have your cause and effect backwards. The majority of the heat produced by these pumps is dumped into the fluid which it is pumping. With a properly functioning DDC, you're only looking at a few watts not being transfered in this way which is not enough to damage the pump (just because it gets hot to the touch does not mean that you're dealing with a high energy output)--these pumps were designed to function without airflow over the bottom. With certain DDC pumps that are failing (i.e. defective), you'll have a particular set of power regulation circuitry burn out and, if the pump continues functioning (which it often does), it will produce a very large amount of heat. It is this heat which melts pump housings, gel pads, etc.

To put things into perspective, if a lack of airflow over the bottom of the pump resulted in imminent failure, then the DDC-2's would have had a near 100% failure rate, rather than the ~5%-6% rate that I observed, and I'd have a lot more than the [perhaps] three dead DDC-3.2's here (putting the observed failure rate for those at <1%). In addition, you'd also have a lot of Corsair and Koolance products failing (seeing as how both of Corsair's external units use DDC pumps and some Koolance products do as well).

Xilikon
01-25-2008, 12:19 PM
*sigh* ...

You have your cause and effect backwards. The majority of the heat produced by these pumps is dumped into the fluid which it is pumping. With a properly functioning DDC, you're only looking at a few watts not being transfered in this way which is not enough to damage the pump (just because it gets hot to the touch does not mean that you're dealing with a high energy output)--these pumps were designed to function without airflow over the bottom. With certain DDC pumps that are failing (i.e. defective), you'll have a particular set of power regulation circuitry burn out and, if the pump continues functioning (which it often does), it will produce a very large amount of heat. It is this heat which melts pump housings, gel pads, etc.

To put things into perspective, if a lack of airflow over the bottom of the pump resulted in imminent failure, then the DDC-2's would have had a near 100% failure rate, rather than the ~5%-6% rate that I observed, and I'd have a lot more than the [perhaps] three dead DDC-3.2's here (putting the observed failure rate for those at <1%). In addition, you'd also have a lot of Corsair and Koolance products failing (seeing as how both of Corsair's external units use DDC pumps and some Koolance products do as well).

After reviewing the 2 failure reports I saw here, you are partially right. It's not exactly the heat directly which damaged them but liquid :

1- A DDC 3.2 sitting on the gel is getting hot so it melted a bit and some oozed it on the bottom shorting the board. This mean it's a big no-no to use the Gel with the DDC but only on the D5. A warning should be warranted there since I also saw some other cases where the gel melted a bit and took the shape of the bottom.

2- Another DDC 3.2 seems to be leaking slowly and since it's sitting on the soundproofing mat, it got soaked so eventually, the liquid oozed in the board and killed it.

We are both right, me about raising it so no liquid would damage the pump and you about insisting the heat is not the direct culprit. I'm sorry to introduce some confusion and I hope this clear things about the DDC 3.2 failures.

Petra
01-25-2008, 01:11 PM
After reviewing the 2 failure reports I saw here, you are partially right. It's not exactly the heat directly which damaged them but liquid :

1- A DDC 3.2 sitting on the gel is getting hot so it melted a bit and some oozed it on the bottom shorting the board. This mean it's a big no-no to use the Gel with the DDC but only on the D5. A warning should be warranted there since I also saw some other cases where the gel melted a bit and took the shape of the bottom.

2- Another DDC 3.2 seems to be leaking slowly and since it's sitting on the soundproofing mat, it got soaked so eventually, the liquid oozed in the board and killed it.

We are both right, me about raising it so no liquid would damage the pump and you about insisting the heat is not the direct culprit. I'm sorry to introduce some confusion and I hope this clear things about the DDC 3.2 failures.

The problem that I have is that in both instances, you're dealing with pumps that had other issues. If your pump is getting hot enough to liquify Gel-Stuff, then it's safe to say that there's something seriously wrong with your pump. As for the Gel-Stuff taking the shape of the DDC's bottom, that's to be expected--it conforms to the shape of just about anything that you put onto it. You should have seen the piece that was sitting under my old Iwaki :rolleyes: