PDA

View Full Version : Teach me how to solder

xxORBxx
08-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Im going to be vmodding my 9800 and ive been practicing soldering on an old video card but im not doing so hot. Ive had many mess ups and thats not gonna be good when it matters.

So can you guys share some techniques you use when vmodding?
How do you hold everything and stuff like that.

saaya
08-12-2003, 04:44 PM
i bought an 8W soldering iron with a pencil top, i used a 30W iron before but it was getting too hot...

1. let your soldering iron heat up properly for some minutes
2. get a small drop of tin on your iron
3. get the small drop on your cable (a very very very small drop is enough!)
4. lay the cable on the card/board and the top of the cable with the tin on it on the leg of the chip you want to solder it on, try to hold it on the leg so the cable is already making contact with the leg. carefully push the top of the iron against the cable top pushing it on the leg od the chip for a few sec until you see or fell that the tin melts.
5.glue the cable onto the pcb so moving the cable wont break the cable off again.

practise this over and over again, i tried it 12 times on a old vid card before i soldered the connections on my 4200 and almost messed up one connection.

Ragnarok
08-12-2003, 04:52 PM
goto a music store, and ask to buy some rosin... get the cheapest one available...

dip ur iron in the rosin will help the solder 'stick'

saaya
08-12-2003, 04:53 PM
rosin? whats that?

xxORBxx
08-12-2003, 04:56 PM
At radio shack they have rosin core solder....is that what your talking about or is it different?

Ragnarok
08-12-2003, 09:33 PM
rosin is a dried sap from pine trees... it helps the tin stick to metal surfaces as well as preventing surface oxidation...

i always find it handy to have a lil tub of rosin... even though solder already has rosin in them (but not enough)

xxORBxx
08-13-2003, 03:24 AM
ok thanks, i was having some probelms getting it to stick but i did the 9800 vgpu sucessdully last night :cool: Thanks guys

saaya
08-13-2003, 03:58 AM
COOL! :toast: post some results!

@Ragnarok, depends, my solder has too much of it for my taste. theres always a small drop of that stuff on the solder drop i have to get rid of first.

xxORBxx
08-13-2003, 10:05 PM
Here are the new results

new score (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6878123)

Stang_Man
08-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Ragnarok
rosin is a dried sap from pine trees... it helps the tin stick to metal surfaces as well as preventing surface oxidation...

i always find it handy to have a lil tub of rosin... even though solder already has rosin in them (but not enough)

not only helps stick and prevent surface oxidation, but makes the solder flow a lot easier making for much better connections

xxORBxx
08-20-2003, 08:49 PM
well i did the NF7 vdd mod today without the rosin, ill have to try it soon :D

theguy
08-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Does anybody know of a tutorial online with pics... Because I'm completely new to vmodding and soldering and I really have no clue how to do it...

JToolz
08-21-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by pc ice
i just use flux to make my solder to stick...

I use flux also. It works perfect.