PDA

View Full Version : Is Macbook Air Worth the money?

sladesurfer
01-18-2008, 06:45 PM
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/6308/62341761qr2.png (http://imageshack.us)

The best deal—if you don't mind an extra pound of weight and half-inch of thickness—is the Dell XPS M1330. It bests the MacBook Air in nearly every single category, delivering about 30% more processing power, 50% more memory, over 300% more hard drive space, plus a dedicated graphics card. All of this, for $300 less. But also, two hours less of battery life, thanks to the new smaller and more efficient Core 2 Duo processor in the MacBook Air.

http://gizmodo.com/345574/is-macbook-air-worth-the-money-five-slim-laptops-face-off

Arkangyl
01-20-2008, 09:20 AM
With macs you're always paying a bit of a premium over everything else, in part it's the included software and in part it's just the brand they've built.

The whole point of the Air is that it is that little bit smaller than everything else and Apple is going to charge quite a bit for that last fraction of an inch. IMO the Air is going to suffer performance wise with the disk-based HD, as a concept it really needs the solid-state drive (except that adds quite a bit to the price).

If you want an ultra-portable, ultra-small laptop and you like / have the resources for the wireless environment then the Air looks fantastic. For using Office apps, writing code, blogging, movie watching and other low-intensity tasks the Air looks fantastic. I'd love to have the air to do the work wherever and then grab the data wireless on a desktop or server to to the heavy lifting of video editing, code compiling (pending size of the code) and the other high intensity tasks.

The Air seems to be a supplementary computer, the laptop for people who have & use their desktop and want the lappy as a small terminal station (of sorts).

MaxxxRacer
01-21-2008, 11:13 AM
simply put.. no..

if you want an ultraportable, go with the Toshiba Portege R500. Its a solidly built machine and as far as portability goes, there isnt a single laptop on the market that can touch it.

Vapor
01-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Don't you work or have worked for Toshiba? :p:

Truckchase!
01-21-2008, 08:24 PM
http://regmedia.co.uk/2008/01/19/macbookcommodorecompare.jpg

Neodude112320
01-21-2008, 08:24 PM
I Would get the Toshiba,Mainly Because Toshiba's make dam good laptops,but also because the Macbook is Overpriced and wouldnt perform all that good.If you want something Ultra Portable,I'd get an Asus EeePC.

Mr. Nillionaire
01-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Yeh, MacBooks are overpriced. They cost way too much for what they offer imo.

Fujimitsu
01-22-2008, 11:59 AM
No

that is all.

Nate P.
01-22-2008, 09:14 PM
No

that is all.
Understatement of the year.

xploit
01-23-2008, 09:24 PM
No

that is it.

Penguin463
01-24-2008, 12:39 AM
With macs you're always paying a bit of a premium over everything else, in part it's the included software and in part it's just the brand they've built.

The whole point of the Air is that it is that little bit smaller than everything else and Apple is going to charge quite a bit for that last fraction of an inch. IMO the Air is going to suffer performance wise with the disk-based HD, as a concept it really needs the solid-state drive (except that adds quite a bit to the price).

If you want an ultra-portable, ultra-small laptop and you like / have the resources for the wireless environment then the Air looks fantastic. For using Office apps, writing code, blogging, movie watching and other low-intensity tasks the Air looks fantastic. I'd love to have the air to do the work wherever and then grab the data wireless on a desktop or server to to the heavy lifting of video editing, code compiling (pending size of the code) and the other high intensity tasks.

The Air seems to be a supplementary computer, the laptop for people who have & use their desktop and want the lappy as a small terminal station (of sorts).

QFT

I am good friends with a guy that works at the apple store, and we get into a few arguements about stuff.

One thing I really like about apple right now is OSX leopard. There are a ton of inovative things that make multi-tasking and using a computer easier.

This laptop really only has the size difference going for it, and thats all it really needs for it to sell :p:

Fujimitsu
01-24-2008, 09:04 AM
This laptop really only has the size difference going for it, and thats all it really needs for it to sell :p:

Image.

It's what sells about 90% of Apples products. YES there are legitimate reasons to buy Mac, but they seem to have found that image an image is much easier to market.

ineedaname
01-24-2008, 06:20 PM
i agree with Fujimitsu

90% of apple is image.

And the answer really is "NO"

I hate how they purposely make their products as disposable as possible by not having replaceable parts. Its such a waste. They should really offer a recycling program 2 go with their crap.

Dainas
01-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Yes and no, glaring features aside and if you want to run OSX its really not bad compared to its pc counterparts in actual performance. For a notetaker in class its fine and thats what most will be sold as. So are the Macbooks, but honestly those are even more offensive as apple makes you pay $200 extra to not have to have disgusting white. Battery is what kills it for me. Even if apple holds to their promise of replacing it hassle free (which I doubt they will), why should I have to send my laptop in for such a thing?

Fujimitsu
01-25-2008, 12:29 PM
i agree with Fujimitsu

90% of apple is image.

And the answer really is "NO"

I hate how they purposely make their products as disposable as possible by not having replaceable parts. Its such a waste. They should really offer a recycling program 2 go with their crap.

It's a bit funny to me, considering the irritating trendy crowd they market to.

Penguin463
01-26-2008, 02:31 PM

:rofl:

iandh
01-26-2008, 08:31 PM

Apple's products seem to be of reasonable quality, but this ^^ keeps me from owning any of their products. The commercials especially irritate me.

AngryArtichoke
01-26-2008, 09:28 PM
I could see the appeal of a Mac if I was a Java programmer. The air has a nice degree of portability as well. But I am neither of those, so I'd say it's not worth it.

funnyperson1
01-28-2008, 08:27 AM
No, its not worth it because unless you want to be stuck with a painfully slow Ipod hard drive, you need to get the $1000 SSD option. Now if $3,000 is worth it for you to have the thinnest laptop, then go for it. I can't really think of a situation where it would matter whether your laptop is .76" thick or 1" thick.

snnoopypw
01-31-2008, 07:55 AM
My advice:
go for Lenovo x61s or x61t