PDA

View Full Version : RPC Problem...help

mike.elmes
08-11-2003, 04:53 PM
I have been somehow hacked by the RPC bug or virus. I have disabled in services but is there any way to disable the window that pops up asking you to send error message to Microsoft?

The RPC thing has a pop up message box that gives you a minute to close everything befor it does a reboot.

Anyone solved this or am I looking at a O/S reinstall??

mike

AndrOvr
08-11-2003, 05:37 PM
Yeah..I had that problem some hr's ago.. I formated C: twicE! Bah.. nothing..

It needed a patch for the BUG! bah..damn microsoft!

HEre's the link.. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

mdzcpa
08-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Yep...it's a nasty security bug.

The culprit is the W32.Blaster.Worm....very nasty bug. It get's you by accessing TCP port 135.

The link above has the MS patch you need to keep yourself clean.

However, once you're borked, cleaning it is a pain in the ass. Look for more here:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

sjohnson
08-11-2003, 06:18 PM
Heh - the writers were kind of dumb IMO - IF the reported side affect of an attack on MicroSoft's Windows Update site is true. Unless you're completely clueless, having no control of your machine would tend to make you either shut it off or fix it.

Yes, I've heard that one purpose of the worm is to force peeps to update their security settings on their machines, but something more subtle than forced reboots would leave many more machines ready for the reported attack on MicroSoft!

mdzcpa
08-11-2003, 06:23 PM
I think it's meant to be more of a nuisance than anything. The only reason I find it striking is that so many have reported picking it up in recent days.

Marci
08-12-2003, 05:31 AM
It hit TENS of THOUSANDS across the UK simultaneously last night. My network admins are running flat out on emergency damage control ensuring everything is patched up to the teeth on the systems that they manage (IDT-Global etc)... can't get hold of em at all!