PDA

View Full Version : I'm Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chew*
01-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Well long story short I have been indisposed for quite some time, rather not go into details............

First up I need to straighten out some issues........that said dd tung if you see this please contact me via PM..............

Now onto buisiness........built a new rig as my other rig was giving me issues namely due to the fact that it was an RD580 prototype and vista was giving me issues.......will post pics in a few...........Some of you may wonder why ive posted in the intel forums......well lets say i've gone to the darkside......

chew*
01-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Old rig, some of you old timers may recognize it......

http://members.cox.net/wmdieselmc26/pics/pc/old%20rig.JPG

New parts

http://members.cox.net/wmdieselmc26/pics/pc/new%20parts.JPG

sexy board, to bad i'm going to have to violate it soon.......

http://members.cox.net/wmdieselmc26/pics/pc/workofart.JPG

installed and running, no hitches no headaches just plain solid as a rock......goodbye amd...

http://members.cox.net/wmdieselmc26/pics/pc/done.JPG

And since I decided not to have headaches my buddie decided to give me one, working on this for him atm what a pita and a headache

http://members.cox.net/wmdieselmc26/pics/pc/buddies%20parts.JPG

[XC] DragonOrta
01-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Wow, I think some of use on the DC team were wondering where you ran off to. lol.

That was like a year ago. Good to see you back here. :up:

Wasn't Grouper the white board? Cause I just got one of those off 4x4n. Go 580. :woot:

chew*
01-16-2008, 01:22 PM
that was manta, ATI's prototype etc NDA.

here's a short recap of manta
http://members.cox.net/wmdieselmc26/x2%203800%20WR.jpg

BenchZowner
01-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Dewd ( aka dude ) it's been long time.
Welcome back chew*

Thought you'd be going with Abit ( if you'd come back ) [ now that you did :D ] but you've chosen Asus this time :)

Welcome to the Dark Side.

chew*
01-16-2008, 02:26 PM
For intel asus has always been the logical choice :up:

BenchZowner
01-16-2008, 02:32 PM
For intel asus has always been the logical choice :up:

True, but Abit had some decent boards ( IC7 Max 3 for example )

situman
01-16-2008, 03:35 PM
welcome back. still remembered the 480 days. Asus is the shiiiiet right now. Abit doesn't like to release bios updates and it tends to literally make noises. That stock heatsink is not doing the setup any justice.

chew*
01-16-2008, 04:19 PM
yah noticed nor is the stock goo for that matter........all 7 fans installed in a CM 690 and 105f nb/sb temp. :shocked: may have to break out my secret heatpipe chipset coolers if they fit.......Whats the top dog waterblock and air heatsink that fits this board atm........I till have my water cooling gear and both my Phase change units......my DI tube could use updating though.......

[XC] 4X4N
01-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Nice to see you back :up: We all have gone to the dark side now :D

BenchZowner
01-16-2008, 04:37 PM
yah noticed nor is the stock goo for that matter........all 7 fans installed in a CM 690 and 105f nb/sb temp. :shocked: may have to break out my secret heatpipe chipset coolers if they fit.......Whats the top dog waterblock and air heatsink that fits this board atm........I till have my water cooling gear and both my Phase change units......my DI tube could use updating though.......

Waterblock: Swiftech Apogee GTX / D-Tek Fuzion
HSF: ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme

chew*
01-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Btw I am completely lost in this bios and have forgotten how to post screenshots..........but, thanks to asus I managed to OC this to 3.5gig with little to no effort.......I backed it down to 3.0 for now.......did i mention this is on the stock cooler.........:shocked:

True to form when i grabbed my cpu i grabbed a low batch # or at least i think its low..........when my internet makes up its mind i took a pic of the cpu.........i will upload....

fragmasterMax
01-17-2008, 12:13 AM
that stock cooler is like ludacris with a candy necklace
ah whasup with that mang

Aerou
01-17-2008, 08:44 AM
man, do I remember you from the Opty-ownage days!!!
Well, AMD could be the dark-side, since it may soon have anything BLACK-EDITIONed :D
is that a Q6600 G0? would be nice if you could find the VID of that particular CPU ... Gives you a somewhat idea of OC-ability!

BTW, good to see you back

[XC] DragonOrta
01-17-2008, 12:09 PM
I have my 737b up to 4.2ghz with 1.52v under load. Hurry up and show us what you can do with yours.

chew*
01-17-2008, 03:43 PM
stock cooler is temporary.......I'm not a big air buff......i have 2 watercooling units at my disposal that may need just a little updating.......I also have liquidfrostbyte thats a chiller good for -50 and 2 old school mach 1's 1 modded one brand spanking new........

vid is 1.225 ;) and yes its a GO

stepping is L737B045

i would upload a pic of the cpu but my webspace is borked atm it seems.....

For the life of me i can't remember how to take screenshots..........and paste them.........

chew*
01-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Btw what should i be expecting or pushing for with this ram etc tightest timings at rated speed......its rated is pc 6400 5-5-5-12 and so far i've got it down to 4-4-4-9...pc 6400 rated voltage is 1.9 board is tossing 2.0 to it auto..

package says TWINX2X2048-6400 G

version 7.3?

chew*
01-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Allrighty did some quick researching familiarized myself with bios a bit.......decided to roll with stock volts for now and enabled loadline calibration for less vdroop............vcore now reads 1.192 priming at 3.0 gig stock volts....53C on cpu........gonna see how it does then push it more until stock volts throws errors........not liking my NB temps.......whats the lowest i can run the volts on that while oced.........it's seeing 1.36v atm....

and could someone give me a refresher on taking screenshots in vista etc........core 0 and 1 run hotter so im guessing those will be first to fail...

Houdini
01-17-2008, 05:56 PM
NB runs very hot on the maximus.

Why - I have no idea, there are plenty of passive coolers.

chew*
01-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I'll attend to the chipset issues soon enough, i have a couple heatpipe chipset coolers lying around. should handle the task.........IRC my temps barely reached 32C with them on the RD580 and that ran warm also......

50 minutes of prime passed at 3.0g stock volts gonna push it more.......

Gitsum
01-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Well long story short I have been indisposed for quite some time, rather not go into details............

Sounds like a prison term to me...

chew*
01-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Sounds like a prison term to me...

Nobobdy's perfect, I can be the nicest guy in the world but.....everyone has there breaking point..... nice to see your still around.......

chew*
01-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Hit a wall at 3.4 gig 3350 was fine at stock volts.......been doing 50mhz increments prime for over an hour then up more..........when i say wall i mean that minor voltage ( 1.230-1.240 ) isn't going to cut it nor is the stock heatsink with anymore volts..........., its late i backed it down to 3150 and am gonna burn it in overnight.

chew*
01-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Got tired of the high temps on this NB so pulled it all back out, spent an hour working the NB cooler back and forth and finally it let loose....as i expected it was making very poor contact.....the SB literally had no contact which was also running hot......had some shin etsu lying around from way back when, applied it and reassembled.......NB temps are now 37C loaded as opposed to 49C loaded...........SB is now 35C versus 45C........temps should get better as it settles or at least they have in the past from my experience with shin etsu.......

Applied shin etsu to the cpu intead of the stock crud also....temps are preety much the same loaded.....idle temps are 1-2C better.......Now to see how much further I can push this with the stock heatsink......

chew*
01-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Temps have limited me to 3350 stock volts so I finally broke down and got a cpu cooler, yes i know the thermalright is the best atm......IMHO its namely due to the sheer mass at the base which is also its weakness....Being that i did not feel like screwing with a heatsink or removing the board to do a cpu swap I went with OCZ's vindicator due to its ease of installation and superior mounting, and one of my trusty OLD quiet ball bearing High CFM delta fans....

results are cpu temps loaded before with stock volts stock HS 70-72C

Now 48C

Onto the NB problem.......I tried an old favorite NB heatpipe chipset cooler i had lying around by coolermaster.........all i can say is wow.....the NB is one hot mother.....temps went up 1C....at a loss I installed a somewhat noisy 40m fan over the stock chipset with a little more paste than normal due to a small bump in the IHS that could use lapping and managed to bring it from 46C loaded down to 34C loaded.....

Time to let this baby rip a little bit more.......till I can get my watercooling sytem upgraded........

Talonman
01-20-2008, 07:01 PM
If you stick with the stock ROG cooling, check this thread:
Official Water Cooling Thread of the Stock Maximus SE ROG NB Club:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164610

If you want the latest Aftermarket block info for the Maximus, check this thread:
Water cooling the Asus Maximus SE X38
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162085 ;)

dinos22
01-20-2008, 07:26 PM
hey man good to see ya back
great read always in your threads
looking forward to it :)

p.s. funny how the "good" side always becomes the dark side lol hahah

chew*
01-20-2008, 11:01 PM
hey man good to see ya back
great read always in your threads
looking forward to it :)

p.s. funny how the "good" side always becomes the dark side lol hahah

Hey now, I'm playing with a m3a 32mvp deluxe wifi and a phenom 9600 also :D not mine but I still get to play........I think i finally got the darn thing straightened out........almost, for somereason cpu-z wont identify ram timings :shrug: doesn't matter it boots up and is stable now......

Good to be back seems I need to learn it all over again :(

chew*
01-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Not maxxed just giving you guys a taste of this chips capabilities......Unfortunately I'm not going to find its maxx on air, luckily I planned on watercooling anyway.....

The recipe on this board appears to be..........
1.325 vcore
1.50 FBST (for 450 fsb)
1.50 NB (for 450 fsb)
This is prime stable....when i figure screenshots out.......I will post one.
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=301128