PDA

View Full Version : noisiest heatskink

Capt_John_Carte
08-10-2003, 01:58 PM
CPU FAN|HHC-001 PURE COPPER (AMD/INTEL)

noisest heatsink (http://www.coolermaster.com.hk/product_detail.asp?lang=eng&at=boutique&category_id=1&product_id=11)

This heatsink has two heatpipes going though it and I think the temps are cool even though I have all the sides and top panels off (going to put some fans in the case and a window) But when I fire the my rig up it sounds like a jet is inside the house hovering over the computer. The temps are about 43c (oh by the way I lapped it had to the temps were way above 43c unlapped). Any sugg. on reducing the nosie level (the nosie is from the fan it runs about 7000rpm) was thinking about getting an adapter and putting on a bigger fan but which one and how big a fan should I go.

p.s I have two of these heatsinks one is still in the box :lol:

walaka7
08-10-2003, 08:28 PM
well that link didnt work for me but this one should http://www.coolermasterusa.com/Product.aspx?ID=6
you can go with an 80 mm fan and a kit. you can also go with another adapter and use a 92 mm. you can even scrap all of the above and do a 120 mm side case mod and run a duct to the proc. the rule of thumb is , the bigger the fan the more airflow and the less noise you will have (fan pitch and rpm have a lot to do with it as well so check the db level before you buy)

felix88
08-10-2003, 08:32 PM
you could 7v the fan or buy a rheobus to adjust it. if possable, i'd return them and buy a couple of SK7s and 80mm fans for them.

Capt_John_Carte
08-11-2003, 04:45 PM
I am thinking about doing a fan adaptor form 60mm to a 92mm just trying to decide on what color. A window will be in the case soon I hope lol.

There is a couple of links a found for fan adaptors

frist link (http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/scan/se=Fan%20Accessories/se=Fan%20Ducts%20%26%20Adapters/mp=menu_search.html)

2nd Link (http://www.xoxide.com/fanadaptors.html)

if you guys know of any other colors out there I will thank you for you input.

I might go with orange because it's close to a copper color ( on the second link).

Capt_John_Carte
08-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by felix88
you could 7v the fan or buy a rheobus to adjust it. if possable, i'd return them and buy a couple of SK7s and 80mm fans for them.

I dont know what you mean by 7v the fan but i do know what a rheobus is I would be afaid of not having the fan speed high enough for the heat to ?disapate? So i think i will go with a bigger fan.
Please let me know what the 7v means I am a newbie at this mod stuff lol l8er.

Thanks
:toast:

sandman
08-11-2003, 07:49 PM
It's only 40dba.......step up to a tornado.

Anyway, I would 7volt it also. You switch wires to make it run on 7V instead of 12V. This way it slows it's speed and noise goes down.

felix88
08-11-2003, 07:55 PM
plug the black wire from the fan into the red wire on the Molex connector. 12v - 5v = 7v

and yeah, my 92mm Tornado is 56dB. :eek: but considerably quieter when i've got my Rheobus turned down.

Squigy_Poodle
08-31-2003, 11:17 PM
felix88, i have 2 of those........

And i dont have the right connectors for my rheobus yet. Poor me :p:

Super Crazy
09-02-2003, 10:25 AM
well fans range up to around 12volts under normal operations for full speed... so at 7volts u would be reducing the load under normal operations hence reducing the RPM levels which will equate to lower dcB...

believe me 40dcb is pretty much nothing, my sunon is even worse than that a rheobus solves all my problems :)

ok the best thing for you to do now before you use a fan size converter is the check the CFM levels, and dcB levels of the 80mm fan. i probably wouldn't worry too much about the RPM's though...

your current fan moves 36cfm @ 40dcb, you'll be able to find many other 80mm fans that will be more than capable of moving the same CFM but at less dcB, a standard 80mm sunon will move 39cfm @ 32dcB, so give one of those a try :)

but here is also another pointer, i know for a fact that with these pre attached HSF combo's that often they have been tested to work coherently with the fan attached, so if u go to a lower CFM level than the stock fan it will hinder the cooling capabilites of the HS, with a fan size converter u may also be hindering the cooling, so it would probably be best to get a 80mm fan that pushes out more than 40cfm if dcb level pending on yourself is concerned :)