PDA

View Full Version : dtek or dd high flow barbs? & double o-ring?

Eddie3dfx
01-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Do you guys prefer the Danger Den or D-Tek high flow barbs?
Also, for those that are using either on swiftech components, such as the gtx, gt, microres, mcw30, etc, do you double up on the O-ring? use the standard swiftech one? Or use the one included with the d-tek/dd?

Thanks

Any stories of leaks, problems, or things I should stay away from?
I decided to stay away from compression fittings because of the ID difference

Sparky
01-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Dtek because they look nicer, have a longer threaded section than the DD, and have a lip to capture the O ring. They work great in my MCW60, no extra O rings or anything. Works in the MCW30 as well as it has the same design as the MCW60. People use them on the MCRES and other blocks as well.

Eddie3dfx
01-13-2008, 06:25 PM
So you just use the d-tek o-rings that come with them?

Nate P.
01-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Dtek because they look nicer, have a longer threaded section than the DD, and have a lip to capture the O ring. They work great in my MCW60, no extra O rings or anything. Works in the MCW30 as well as it has the same design as the MCW60. People use them on the MCRES and other blocks as well.
All very true! I use D-Tek barbs all throughout my loop and love them.

Nate P.
01-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Yes, the D-Tek o-rings that come with the D-Tek barbs.:up:

Sparky
01-13-2008, 07:03 PM

yup

Eddie3dfx
01-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks! I believe this is the way I will go!

Snyxxx
01-13-2008, 07:36 PM
I have also used all DD barbs in most of the swiftech products mentioned above.

I only used the o-rings that came with the DD barbs, no other. Worked for over a year now.

TheJollyFellow
01-13-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm a fan of EK's barbs myself, their o-ring 'groove' is deep enough that you can tighten the barbs by hand and not have any leaks...not that I actually do that, of course ;)

plus, they look a little more 'exotic' than the run-of-the-mill D-tek or DD ;)

and in the case that an o-ring wears out (none of my EK's have), I run down to the hardware store and buy some decent ones for $.05 each :)

Martinm210
01-13-2008, 08:34 PM
While I like the ID and higher flow of the DD barbs (They measure a little bigger than the rest at 10.15mm).

I prefer the D-Tek barbs because of the slight oversizing and particularly because of the o-ring retainer.

I've heard rumors that DD is working on a similar o-ring retained barb so I'm keeping my eye out for that..

gOtVoltage
01-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Yes, the D-Tek o-rings that come with the D-Tek barbs.:up:

Yup +1 only way to go..They are very well made barbs that function they way they are supose too..

Eddie3dfx
01-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Martin are you saying the D-Tek barbs are more restrictive? :rolleyes:

Jedda
01-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Used to use aquaXtreme barbs but now they're discontinued, D-tek is the weapon of choice.

Jedda
01-13-2008, 09:21 PM

Slightly bigger bore on the DD.

madmaxx
01-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Don't mean to hijack but no sense starting another thread.

Which barbs do you use to replace the :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty plastic ones that come with a storm rev1?

Ive been looking for some time and can't seem to find any. A machinist friend of mine says they are bspp 19 x .51 and swiftech lists them as 1/4 npsm? I was also told they were bspp by my local aeroquip dealer what gives? Id really like to ditch the plastic barbs and go to metal.

Thnx

Xilikon
01-14-2008, 09:14 AM
BSPP 1/4" = G1/4" so you can take any barb mentionned here.

madmaxx
01-14-2008, 09:27 AM

Really! Thanx now to find some locally ;)

Martinm210
01-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Probably not by much to make any real world difference, but I was a little suprised when I measured the DD barbs and got 10.15mm using digital calipers.

Not the most accurate way to measure, but every other G1/4 barb I've had was a maximum of 10.0mm, so yeah the DD barbs are just a hair bigger on the inside diameter.

NaeKuh
01-14-2008, 08:01 PM
EK barbs with swiftech blocks and rad you need to double on the orings or it wont fit. The depth inside the barb, and the round middle lip is too shallow, so you wont get a perfect seal unless you double up on the o rings.

But it doesnt matter, because you get 1 set with the barb, and the blocks/rad comes with plastic barbs with the extra oring you need.

madmaxx
01-19-2008, 08:35 AM

just tried a barb from my good ole DD maze4 GPU (original ALU top but should be G 1/4) doesnt fit :( the fitting seems to be larger than the thread bore on the storm block :shrug:

any1 know the proper size fittings or where to get metal barbs for my swiftech storm? it was one of the original blocks so no rev's.

any help would be great as this is pretty much the last step for me to get back up and running.

thnx

coolmiester
01-19-2008, 08:49 AM
just tried a barb from my good ole DD maze4 GPU (original ALU top but should be G 1/4) doesnt fit :( the fitting seems to be larger than the thread bore on the storm block :shrug:

any1 know the proper size fittings or where to get metal barbs for my swiftech storm? it was one of the original blocks so no rev's.

any help would be great as this is pretty much the last step for me to get back up and running.

thnx

The Barb from your good ale Maze4 could be 9/16" (bigger than G1//4) which DD used a couple of years ago before seeing the light and going with G1/4 which they use on everything these days.

That is maybe why it won't fit your Storm!

Garrett
01-19-2008, 09:03 AM
The Barb from your good ale Maze4 could be 9/16" (bigger than G1//4) which DD used a couple of years ago before seeing the light and going with G1/4 which they use on everything these days.

I had that once indeed... 9/16"... I was like WTF :shrug:
These days they use 1/4" but I still have both EK and D-Tek barbs :up:
D-Tek is a bit harder to get on but the "lip" is much longer so it fits snugly without the need for clamps (7/16" ID 5/8" OD) where the EK has that smaller "lip"... hope you guys understand what I mean.

Pretty hard to get my 7/16" tubing off a D-Tek barb without cutting :D

madmaxx
01-19-2008, 09:18 AM

thnx for the tip ;) ill have to run out to the garage and find the vernier and check it out

if indeed the maze4 is 9/16" G 1/4 would fit the storm for shure? id like to order some barbs and finish up my re-doooooooo :cool:

thnx :up:

Martinm210
01-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah, the old 9/16"-18 barbs are quite a bit bigger. I kind of like the bigger size, you could bore those out to probably 11-12mm no problem. Taps and Dies are also much more reasonably priced.

Oh well, G1/4 and G3/8 is the new standard. I now have tooling for them all..:D

madmaxx
04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
pardon the resurection but i was wondering on the storm using Dtek barbs; single o-ring or double up with stock swifty?