PDA

View Full Version : pelting memory

saaya
08-10-2003, 12:33 PM
wheeew my card is done finally! in case anybody trys to pelt his memory in the future read on :)

vgpu mod -check
vmem mod -check
cold plates and tecs on memory -check
insultaion of memory and cold plates -check
waterblock mounted on tecs -check
gpu waterblock -check
cold plate and 80W tec on gpu -.... damn theres no place in germany that sells 80W tec for less than 50$! :mad:

the biggest problem i encountered was the insulation of the memory. my card has tsop memory, and its impossible to get the dieelctric grease under those fine legs. but then i found out that the dielectric grease gets harder when cooled down with tecs, so i thougt about heating the dielectric grease to get it under the legs of the memory. i used vaseline as i couldnt find dielectric grease at a reasonable price anywhere. at around 70°C the stuff gets as liquid as water!

so ive put some vaseline on the legs of the memory chips, then some termal grease on top of them and then glued the cold plates on them with silicone on the edges of the cold plates. but i left the upper side of the cold plates open. then i stuck my card in my rig and looped 2k1 for some time until the cold plates were really hot (~70°C) , then i took the card out and carefull filled the little room ebtween the cold plates and the card between the memory chips with hot vaseline.

i fired up my system again and let it run for 2 days (no 2k1 looping, just some downloads) so all little air bubbles would go away and the vaseline could enter all the little rooms. then i cleaned the vaseline on the edge off and sealed the room between the card and the cold plate completely with silicone and glued the tecs and waterblock on the card-done

the silicone still has to dry for 24 hours, then ill post some results and pics :)

Dissolved
08-10-2003, 12:47 PM
well i hope you actually gain mhz on the memory.. what ive seen with water cooling the memory on ati cards is there was Very lil or no gain with chilled water cooling..

So i hope you break that and gain some, and ill be very interested in seeing your pictures.

saaya
08-11-2003, 08:03 PM
pheew i already thougt i killed that card when i got all weird coloured lines... but it tuerned out it was just a very very small piece of copper shorting two pins of one voltage control chip. i cleaned it off and it works fine, im writing this with the card in my setup right now. 2d and 3d works great, havent done any ocing yet, ill post pix tomorrow.

well my memory is running ectremely hot! and cooling it improved my max memory speed a LOT! i mounted huge heatsinks on them and it gave me a 40mhz increase :banana: but even with those large heatsinks on it it runs hot after 10min i get artifacts and have to clock the memory down 10mhz, and after 30min another 5-10mhz. so i need more cooling p0w4 and as i still had a bunch of 30W tecs i thought now or never, if i dont use them now on the card ill probably never use them...

this is the first time im working with tecs, they are really amazing. it seems almost impossible to cool the hot site and the cold site gets 25-30°C colder than the roomtemp when watercooling the hot site even with only 5V running through them!

saaya
08-12-2003, 04:55 PM
hmm the silicon doesnt insulate as well as i thought, i glued some extra neoprene on the card to be sure i dont get any condensation on it.

]JR[
08-14-2003, 05:39 AM
/me watches with anticipation....

]JR[

C_f
08-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by saaya
the silicone still has to dry for 24 hours, then ill post some results and pics :)

How many 24 hours do you nead ?:stick:
:)
Just a bit unpatient

IamAnoobieCheez
08-14-2003, 07:11 AM
sounds like he didn't install the cold plates, TECs, and the heatsink source properly to the ram chips. If you get a nice firm tight contact, the cold plate does not get hot after a while unless you're not cooling off the hot side of the TEC good enough. If you don't cool off the hot side of the peltier plenty, your cold plate will turn hot instead of freezing cold. Not only that will worsen the cooling but can even damage your chip/chipsets. Also it is not practical to have TEC cooling on the video card's memory. There are some better material such as sealent/protective PCB spray to apply on on mainboards and cards. Did you copy the idea of applying vaseline from me?? I wouldn't recommend using that. That is for emergency use and only good for low temperatures. it gets liquifed at higher temperatures and will eventually wash off itself.

Not making a tight, high pressure contact between the cold plate, peltier, and the surface of the core/chip will severely weaken the effectiveness of cooling.

and I sure hope you are using some good thermal grease between the chipset you're cooling, cold plate, pelt, and the block you're using to cool the pelt. Without thermal grease in there, you'd be asking for trouble.

If I were you I would just apply a nice pelt + waterchilled for the video card's core and just find some custom made block for the memory chips to waterchill that too. Keeping the memory chips cool will help and gain a more increase in oc'ing and should be able to sustain without getting artifacts during long use.

saaya
08-14-2003, 07:26 AM
i never said they would get hot :confused: they are making a lot of heat, meaning they heat up the water pretty quick, but the cold plates are fine.

and no i didnt copy the idear of using vaseline from you :rolleyes: , several people irl and online told me to use it since i couldnt find dielectric grease here in germany.

i sealed the tecs and the cold plates completely, theres no way the vaseline will run out there even if it should get hot and according to one little spot on the cold plate of one of the tec they are asbolutely not running hot :D

LOL! :rolleyes: of course i used termal grease :rotf: i used plain silicon based cooler master grease though, not the best but ceramique was too expensive and as might short something (i know everything is sealed but i dont want to risk anything :D)

waterchillers are not worth it if you ask me. you need to insulate the res, the hoses and even then you loose some cooling power on the way... i wanted to try something new i hadnt seen before :D

i decided to wrap some white neoprene around the blocks just for the looks :D hehe ill post pics tonight and i think the silicon has dryed enough... it better should, i cant wait any longer to bump the voltages and beat the shiat out of that card :D

IamAnoobieCheez
08-14-2003, 07:46 AM
[B]i never said they would get hot :confused: they are making a lot of heat, meaning they heat up the water pretty quick, but the cold plates are fine.
hmmmmmm... you've said this -->

and it gave me a 40mhz increase but even with those large heatsinks on it it runs hot after 10min i get artifacts and have to clock the memory down 10mhz, and after 30min another 5-10mhz. so i need more cooling p0w4 and as i still had a bunch of 30W tecs i thought now or never, if i dont use them now on the card ill probably never use them...
This tells me either you clocked the memory way too high, or your pelt cooling power is keep going down. why would cause severe artifacts every 10 minutes after clocking it down?

and no i didnt copy the idear of using vaseline from you :rolleyes: , several people irl and online told me to use it since i couldnt find dielectric grease here in germany.
okiedokie.

i sealed the tecs and the cold plates completely, theres no way the vaseline will run out there even if it should get hot and according to one little spot on the cold plate of one of the tec they are asbolutely not running hot :D yeah, as we know, as long as it's cool/cold, the vaseline will stay there fine. As soon as it gets warm, it could wash off itself depending on how the video card is sitting. If it's set straight up, it would wash off, but sitting in a case would probably do it.

LOL! :rolleyes: of course i used termal grease :rotf: i used plain silicon based cooler master grease though, not the best but ceramique was too expensive and as might short something (i know everything is sealed but i dont want to risk anything :D)
okiedokie..

waterchillers are not worth it if you ask me. you need to insulate the res, the hoses and even then you loose some cooling power on the way... i wanted to try something new i hadnt seen before :D
actually... you lose more cooling power by normal watercooling to cool your TEC system. It is the normal watercooling that makes least effect in tec cooling, not to mention the water gets warmer because the rad/heatercore is often not strong enough to keep the water in well within range, your cooling performance declines even further down. ;)

saaya
08-14-2003, 08:35 AM
i meant those heatsinks (scroll down) :D i said heatsinks, not cold plates/waterblock or tecs... with my current setup it runs super cool.

This tells me either you clocked the memory way too high, or your pelt cooling power is keep going down. why would cause severe artifacts every 10 minutes after clocking it down? again im talking of the heatsinks , not my current cooling. i got the memory to 580 but the heatsinks on my memory got hot after some minutes and all the sudden i had those artifacts again. that where i decided to use my tec to cool the memory.

saaya
08-14-2003, 08:45 AM
actually... you lose more cooling power by normal watercooling to cool your TEC system. It is the normal watercooling that makes least effect in tec cooling, not to mention the water gets warmer because the rad/heatercore is often not strong enough to keep the water in well within range, your cooling performance declines even further down.

the only difference i can think of is that the water im cooling the tec with is already warmed up when it reaches the last waterblock, but thats just 1 or 2 °C.

i need to cool the tecs hot side with water, this would mean a second loop=more work and id have to cool that water just like i have to cool the water comming from the hot sides of my tecs now, so where is the diference other than that i need a second loop and have it in a seperate box?

no hard feelings :D

IamAnoobieCheez
08-14-2003, 09:40 AM
i meant those heatsinks (scroll down) :D i said heatsinks, not cold plates/waterblock or tecs... with my current setup it runs super cool.
again im talking of the heatsinks , not my current cooling. i got the memory to 580 but the heatsinks on my memory got hot after some minutes and all the sudden i had those artifacts again. that where i decided to use my tec to cool the memory.
ahh ok. I've got it now what you meant. :)

IamAnoobieCheez
08-14-2003, 09:42 AM
i need to cool the tecs hot side with water, this would mean a second loop=more work and id have to cool that water just like i have to cool the water comming from the hot sides of my tecs now, so where is the diference other than that i need a second loop and have it in a seperate box?

no hard feelings :D
yess... exactly. :)

no, no hard feelings over here either. :cool:

saaya
08-14-2003, 09:52 AM
update for you guys :) as you can see i finished the vmods and soldered the cables to the vrs and glued the vrs on the card itself. one on the left one on the right upper edge.

how do the neoprene covers look?

saaya
08-14-2003, 09:55 AM
damn this card is getting bigger and bigger :eek:

saaya
08-14-2003, 11:14 AM
some pics and info about building the waterblocks for the tecs :)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16303

saaya
08-14-2003, 04:46 PM
damn i dont have enough hoses.... i need a lot of hoses to get the waterblocks linked together because the eheim hose doesnt like to be bent ... i need like 30cm fo every connection! if i use less the hose forms an edge and is closed :/ damn!

here are some pics of it in my smoked 8rda+:

saaya
08-14-2003, 04:47 PM
another one

saaya
08-15-2003, 08:31 AM
hehehe :)

saaya
08-15-2003, 08:57 AM
ok i found a way to connect all the blocks with all the hoses i have. looks really ghetto, but its enough to test it for now. i have to get some 90° edges for the hoses next...

saaya
08-15-2003, 10:02 AM
§§§§! its running TOO good! :eek: i powered the tecs without the card running and all the capacitors, the pcb... EVERYTHING in a radius about 6/7cm of the memory gets really really cold and i get condensation on it after 10min. :eek:

damn i hope it doesnt get that cold when the card is running... :/

id have to insulate the whole card if i t keeps running that cold :)

hmmm the only problem seems to be the edge of the card between the 4 tecs... the are capacitors getting quite warm when the card is running normally, i hope they priducre enough heat to keep the pcb around them at a temperature level that is high enough i wont get condensation! :/ what should i do? cover the pcb with vaseline? :/

saaya
08-15-2003, 06:58 PM
i covered it with a thin layer of vaseline, above that neoprene and sealed the whole thing 100% air and wateroproof with silicon :) should be dry tomorrow so i can finally see if the card still works at all :rotf: maybe it died already and i didnt notice it :p:

saaya
08-18-2003, 03:08 AM
:( damn... damn damn damn... i wanted to see how strong the silicon waterblocks i made are and pulled quite hard on them and now 2 of them have a leak... and i really dont feel like fixing it because i want something 100%safe...

i guess ill have to take the tecs and the waterblocks off the card again :_(

ill ripp the silicon of the waterblocks and solder the copper parts together this time to make it really strong... even more work

at least i can still play with the watercooled gpu and my vmods...

if i only think about taking it all off, taking it apart soldering it together and then stick it on the card again.... maaaaan :(

[SLC]Tachyon
08-20-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by pc ice
oh ya and i finally got some pelt's to play with i got three of them amd i have one on my cpu right now....i also picked up a powersupply for the pelt's it has 15 volt's i can tell you how you can get power supply's for pelt's for free and there made especially for pelt's.....

How can we get these Pelt PSUs? :confused:

saaya
08-20-2003, 07:10 PM
hmmm i thougt about getting an 80W pelt for my gpu, but 180W on the whole card would be overkill, insulating the card is really annoying, and im already havin probs with the 100W tec power.

so ill make larger cold plates, use 3 tecs in the front to cool the gpu and the memory and only one on the back for the memory on that side...

or do you think i should use the 80W tec ill get soon on the front side of the card to cool the memory and gpu? that way id only need the gpu waterblock on the gpu side and a small block on the backside...

hmmm

i already ripped of almost all the silicon on the front side of the card... im suprised how easy i can get the silicon off the pcb...