PDA

View Full Version : Ambient case temps: too high?

st0nedpenguin
08-10-2003, 03:54 AM
Well, I'm using a Alpha heatsink as mentioned in my sig, the PAL8045, with a YS-Tech fan sucking air through it, and I have been wondering about my case temps.

At the moment, they range from about 22c to 35c, depending on the time of day, the weather, and what underpants I'm wearing.

I could be wrong, but I can't help but wonder if 35c is a little high for ambient case temps, especially since I'm running five case fans, 2 at the front, 2 at the back, and 1 blowing air onto my graphics card from the case side panel, and I have my PSU fan set to it's max speed.

The weather here has been outrageously warm for a Britland summer, the trains have been slowed down to prevent the tracks buckling, and the 35c temp was a peak temp, it didn't run that high for long.

My apologies for the length of this post, it seems to have turned into some kind of stream of consciousness thing, I'm probably just trying to avoid working.:D

TheDude
08-10-2003, 04:07 AM
The weather here has been outrageously warm for a Britland summer,

I would say it depends directly on your ambient room temps, you won't get get your case below that no matter how many fans you have and you have to add some heat for the components....probably nothing to worry about.
make sure your fans are positioned to give you good air flow...generally that means one in front blowing in and another as high in back as possible exhausting. You can play with your other 3 to see if you can get an increase in cooling. I like to have one fan on the side blowing towards the video card, maybe another blowing to the left of the cpu (another hot spot) and maybe another exhaust where space permits. Try looking at some thermal images of your board to get an idea of the hot spots.(google search). Hope that helps. :D

st0nedpenguin
08-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Yeah, cheers man, I just wanted some kind of confirmation really.

The temps here have been outrageous, 30c ish, which is nothing compared to temps in the US i would imagine, but for here it's insane.

I dropped back to BIOS 1.6 the other day as Marci has tested and said that it gives the most accurate readings, thankfully that has dropped my temps a bit, but they still range from 42c-45c idle and 48c-52c full load, with the mad temp changes throughout the day, my WebTemp graph is like a sine wave.

Roll on winter!

:D

TheDude
08-10-2003, 04:28 AM
Yeah...I have 1 pc upstairs like that...it's just in a hot room and I can't get it cool no matter what I do without cooling the room. It stays at the temps you mentioned, but so far has not had any problems because of it.

st0nedpenguin
08-10-2003, 04:44 AM
I'm just waiting till I get paid now, then I'll be throwing a DangerDen kit in there, along with a Cascade, if that doesn't tame it, I'm going to get the Amiga 500 fired up.

:D

MrLavender
08-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by st0nedpenguin
The temps here have been outrageous, 30c ish, which is nothing compared to temps in the US i would imagine, but for here it's insane. My system temp hit 40C today in London. :eek:

That's with the case open. And my cpu/gpu/nb are all watercooled with the radiator and pump outside the case.

Had to turn down the cpu clocks + voltage because I was worried about what that sort of heat might be doing to the mosfets.

Totally nuts!

Roll on winter!

:D Or at least a couple of coldish days so I can try out my vdd mod and some benching. :up: :D

st0nedpenguin
08-12-2003, 05:54 AM
Jebus, and here I was thinking that my 37c was bad. :D

On a vaguely related note though, using the WPCREDIT thing knocked my CPU idle temps down to 39c, from 45c, I didn't try it until the other day as I had been told that the CPU Disconnect option in the BIOS does the same thing, apparently it doesn't.:D