PDA

View Full Version : Danger Den MC-TDX Pressure Drop Test Results

Martinm210
01-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Been working on a review of this block as well, figured I'd post some pics and the pressure drop results that I have so far. Here are a few pictures, I have more on my site in the review work in progress..

Nice looking block..:up:
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/img/DangerDen-MC-TDX-2-TopAngle.jpg
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/img/DangerDen-MC-TDX-8-Internal.jpg
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/img/DangerDen-MC-TDX-9b-InternalCopperPins.jpg

Pressure Drop Testing:
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/img/DangerDen-MC-TDX-12-PDtesting.jpg
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/img/DangerDen-MC-TDX-10-PressureDrop1.png
Compared to some others:
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/img/DangerDen-MC-TDX-10-PressureDrop2.png

So..we have a new King of Flow for CPU pin matrix type blocks:up: . Not a huge gain over the Fuzion without a washer, but the Fuzion is also bypassing a fair amount of flow without a washer. I expected the pressure drop would be closer to the fuzion with washer since this one doesn't have the mid/top block leak problem the fuzion does, but it's better. I guess all the little restrictions in the mid block add up for the fuzion, the simpler TDX flow path has lower restriction.

The low pressure drop should really help those with multiple blocks in their loop.:)

After I get some thermal testing, I'll update my website page. Then I'm going to tinker with some ideas I have..:D

Kayin
01-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Be interested in seeing what the temps are...

Martinm210
01-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Kayin;2693837']Be interested in seeing what the temps are...

It's looking like it's pretty close to a stock fuzion, but I need to grab another battery for one of my temperature probes before I can do the routine multiple tests of measuring ambient/water deltas to get any worthwhile numbers.

To get nozzled fuzion performance, you'll need to add a nozzle in there. It looks like the stock fuzion nozzles are a touch too small. I might try putting a strip of heat shrink tubing around one to make it work. The ID on the DD barbs is bigger than most, I measured about 10.15mm ID. Maybe I can use a smaller barb on the inlet too to make them fit.

First I wanted to test pressure drop, and that part is good.

I'll try to get stock tested, then I'll step the base and add a nozzle.:D

sbinh
01-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Martin,

If compare it (MC-TDX) with TDX block, which one is better?

Talonman
01-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Gasp!! I love to get the inside scoop on the new blocks from FlowMaster Martin...

This block desirves to have some Q6600 temp tests done on it. :)

It also should be an excellent candidate for multi block loops. :up:

Flow baby flow... Now if it can only keep a quad happy too.

Thanks for another fine post. :yepp:

systemviper
01-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Do you have any pics with the copper top? I love the DD stuff....

Plus thanks for all your hard work Martin, you are the Man, i have learned so much from you, Mucho Gracis!

thanks

Martinm210
01-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Martin,

If compare it (MC-TDX) with TDX block, which one is better?

For pressure drop the standard TDX is pretty close to the green curve of the Fuzion with washer.

So between the two regarding only flow, the MC-TDX is better than the standard TDX with nozzle #1.

Danger Den notes the standard TDX is better thermally for single to dual core cpu's, the MC-TDX is designed for dual to quad core cpu's, but I havn't tested them thermally yet.:shrug:

Martinm210
01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
FYI
I got the thermal testing done of the MC-TDX stock, now I just need to do the same for my Fuzion stock for a good baseline.

I think they are going to be fairly close.

Then I'll make some runs with the custom nozzles to see how bowing an nozzling improves performance.

So far so good! Should have the fuzion run and comparison by the end of the week. I never did do a full set of runs with the fuzion stock, so I need to collect a good set of data to make a more scientific comparison.

Nate P.
01-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Martin, your amazing. What camera are you using for your pics?

Vapor
01-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Martin, your amazing. What camera are you using for your pics?Yes he is :D

And he's using a very nice Canon 20D :)

Martinm210
01-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks!
Yes, Canon 20D, photography is another hobby of mine...can't get enough..
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/5964/cameragearss2.jpg
Had a few lenses at one point, have since narrowed it down a little, mostly shoot primes now. Very expensive thing to get into, but fortunately it's one of the few where the value holds pretty well. I've sold a couple of lenses for more than I bought them for. I was living and breathing photography for about two years before I had enough to take halfway decent photos and finally figured out what gear I need. I mainly got into it for my kids, but it's an extremely valuable tool and tons of fun. Shot some friends/family weddings etc, but I just like keeping it recreational.

silverphoenix
01-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks!
Had a few lenses at one point, have since narrowed it down a little, mostly shoot primes now.

wow your like an all in one go to guy for me lol. Watercooling expert and now this!! I picked up a rebel XTi during CUSA's 1st closings for $450, but I'm a noob with photography.

Martinm210
01-13-2008, 10:01 PM
wow your like an all in one go to guy for me lol. Watercooling expert and now this!! I picked up a rebel XTi during CUSA's 1st closings for $450, but I'm a noob with photography.

PM me if you ever have any questions. I can "Operate" the tool pretty well and know alot about lenses and equipment. I have a long way to go before I have the artist part of a true photographer. I prefer calling myself a "dSLR Camera Operating Technician"..:D

septim
01-14-2008, 02:36 AM
very nice testing done as usual Martinm...

the ever extremely multitalented Martinm, hehe...

Anemone
01-14-2008, 04:34 AM
Interested in following this

Eddie3dfx
01-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Silver, head over to dpreview, I'm sure martin would agree.
It's the one step shop for digital camera amateurs and professionals.
The pictures, comments, and reviews on there influenced me in purchasing a fuji f31d.
Martin nice setup you have there!
My father is a camera collector, so I hear everyday how digital photography is not as sharp, beautiful, or vibrant as regular photography. Though in some ways I would agree. I enjoy macro on digital but I enjoy wide-angle- landscape shots with film cameras.
I will say I do go with him to the camera shows and ever since digital photography went maintstream, these shows have very few booths and vendors ;(
It seems the technology bug has bitten us all and that film will be ending.

Nate P.
01-14-2008, 07:57 AM
I nominate Martin for XIP.:D

Martinm210
01-14-2008, 06:06 PM
:D

Yeah dpreview was a second home for me like these forums are now. I spent a good year on the 300D forums and then the 20D forums for another while learning. Just like we are with computer equipment, lots of great resources over there and contiual testing of equipement.

I probably do 90% portrait type stuff, but I also enjoy a mix of macro, landscapes, and wildlife work. Probably the most valuable change for me was went I started shooting RAW, it's amazing what you can do with a good RAW processing program in capturing lost highlights, shadows, and correcting light temperatures. It can make a good photo, excellent.

But yes, dpreview.com is a great place to learn about cameras.

DarthBeavis
01-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Martin u want to drive up and do some pics of my mods?

Anemone
01-14-2008, 07:51 PM
One educated guess I'm going to take is that the Fusion will probably do better because of better mounting pressure. Those acrylic "wings" don't look all that sturdy for really cranking down the pressure.

Martinm210
01-15-2008, 12:36 PM
FYI
Uploaded a temporary update to the flow rate estimator that includes this curve:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151627

stormshadow
01-15-2008, 12:36 PM
i sure hope danger den starts heading in the right direction w/ quality control and design innovation.

they have potential. JUST DON'T FK IT UP

Jimmer411
01-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks!
Had a few lenses at one point, have since narrowed it down a little, mostly shoot primes now. Very expensive thing to get into, but fortunately it's one of the few where the value holds pretty well. I've sold a couple of lenses for more than I bought them for. I was living and breathing photography for about two years before I had enough to take halfway decent photos and finally figured out what gear I need. I mainly got into it for my kids, but it's an extremely valuable tool and tons of fun. Shot some friends/family weddings etc, but I just like keeping it recreational.

What?! I see no red stripes! :cord: Im kiddin, I dont have any L's either. Tho off topic, do you visit POTN by chance?

coolmiester
01-15-2008, 01:30 PM
FYI
Uploaded a temporary update to the flow rate estimator that includes this curve:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151627

Astonishing work and attention to detail………..hats off to you fella, you got nothing but admiration from this corner :up:

Fujimitsu
01-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Nice review.

I'm surprised it's performing that well, interested to see more.

grats on the site, didn't even know you had done that! Could use a bit of "polishing up" on the design front, but content is what counts :P:

NaeKuh
01-15-2008, 04:32 PM
I WANT A SILVER ONE!!

lets hope DD makes it soon like there old TDX.

smee
01-15-2008, 04:40 PM
So Martin, your saying that I should get the MC-TDX instead of the Fuzion I'm planning on?

I'm going to have 3 blocks in my loop, an MCR320 and a Laing D5.

Nate P.
01-15-2008, 05:10 PM
So Martin, your saying that I should get the MC-TDX instead of the Fuzion I'm planning on?

I'm going to have 3 blocks in my loop, an MCR320 and a Laing D5.
It is a higher flowing block than the Fuzion, but I'd wait for the thermal tests to come out.:up:

smee
01-15-2008, 05:12 PM
It is a higher flowing block than the Fuzion, but I'd wait for the thermal tests to come out.:up:

Ooh, gotcha.
So far all we know is that it's got a better flow rate, not that it's better than the Fuzion.
Can't wait for the thermal tests!!!!

BTW, I hope DD comes out with a delrin top for this block. That would look awesome! :up:

Martinm210
01-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Ooh, gotcha.
So far all we know is that it's got a better flow rate, not that it's better than the Fuzion.
Can't wait for the thermal tests!!!!

BTW, I hope DD comes out with a delrin top for this block. That would look awesome! :up:

No, I'm not done thermal testing yet.

I made one run with the MC-TDX and it looks very close to a stock fuzion. I say that because I never did the proper testing with my stock fuzion and only have a rough idea. I've only made my usual full set of tests with the fuzion nozzled, so I'm backtracking a little bit so I can get a good stock comparison as well.

My recent 4.4mm Fuzion nozzle run with washer in place was about 3 degrees better, which is really close to the gain I got from the nozzle and washer, so the stock vs stock is going to be close. Then I'll need to start tinkering with the nozzles for a comparison there. It's going to take a little time to get it all sorted out, but it's looking to have very similar performance is about all I can say at this point.

As far as the top goes, I'd just recommend the brass top "Option". It's only $8 more for a solid brass top, so it's very affordable and that would be more durable than delrin anyway:up:

smee
01-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Cool!
Thanks Martin!!
I'll check out the brass top.

inonefly
04-27-2008, 10:56 PM
is the brass top the same as the original tdx top? I have seen the Danger Den TDX Uni Replacement Top for sale but it's £14.99 :(

bigslappy
04-28-2008, 09:10 PM
is the brass top the same as the original tdx top? I have seen the Danger Den TDX Uni Replacement Top for sale but it's £14.99 :(
NO ! it's an add on top of the stock tdx top with 4 screws to hold it down
looks cool
but my 2nd rig is not up & running yet
soo can't rate it
but bullet proofs from cross threading the plastic when the nipplles go on

inonefly
04-28-2008, 09:40 PM
thank you,i'll stick to the lucite top until my next order from DD ...:)

systemviper
04-28-2008, 09:43 PM
I like the clear tops, it looks great with UV liquid running thru it. It's a sweet looking block.....

inonefly
04-28-2008, 09:56 PM
yeah, this is my first block with clear top and im liking it ;) it's just i dont feel as safe when mounting it, im using d-tek fuzion on my other rig and i tight it as much as i can but not with this clear top block

systemviper
04-28-2008, 10:03 PM
i am no expert on broken tops, but i don't read to many articles of them breaking, unless your going sub zero....

that is why i love the clear, it looks cool while cooling, now you can't beat that combo!.......