PDA

View Full Version : Fuzion CPU mounting hardware.

step
01-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Just about to make a new order at petras when I came across this:

Pro-Mount (http://www.petrastechshop.com/dfuprha.html)
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-65556269779593_1984_1387092

If anyone used it so far, can you comment on the mounting difference between that and the stock mounting gear?

[XC] DragonOrta
01-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm actually just about to put one on now. Just have to find the rubbing alcohol to clean off the old TIM. Got it from Jab-Tech since PTS was OOS.

Sparky
01-11-2008, 08:54 PM
How's that work, does it bolt onto the block by the screws that hold the block together? Is it really better than the original mounting method?

momoceio
01-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Thats exactly how it works, it pulls the block down instead of pressing it down.

[XC] DragonOrta
01-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Temps are about the same as the regular mount. Just more even across the cores.

Martinm210
01-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I like that mount better, I would think being lower profile like that would give you better chances of being centerd on the IHS. I just replaced the studs on my backplate and noticed how easy it is to get the bolts out of square which could mean the block is slightly off center.

Much cleaner, especially if you loose the springs and hardmount with short studs.

Talonman
01-11-2008, 10:04 PM
I want to know if the mounting ring is sturdy enouigh to hold the block against the mobo. It is thin and sleek looking, but is it strong enouigh too?

Daemonfly
01-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Since the threads are only in the top portion of the block (and not too deep, imho), will the delrin hold over time? You now have the stock strain of keeping the seals compressed (probably not that significant) now added to the strain from the new mounting style. Even more if you put in an o-ring to bow the block.

Also, I wish they would list the thread specs... I have a custom alum mounting plate with 6-32 threads.

Sparky
01-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Since the threads are only in the top portion of the block (and not too deep, imho), will the delrin hold over time? You now have the stock strain of keeping the seals compressed (probably not that significant) now added to the strain from the new mounting style. Even more if you put in an o-ring to bow the block.

Also, I wish they would list the thread specs... I have a custom alum mounting plate with 6-32 threads.

Good question. With the mount plate pressing down it helped relieve pressure on those screws as well. At least the threads are brass inserts in the delrin, that should help with strength.

Daemonfly
01-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I know delrin is supposed to be pretty strong, but there's not a lot of plastic there holding the inserts in. It should work fine stock, but with the added strain, can it withstand it? We don't need blocks popping apart a few months down the road...