PDA

View Full Version : Running DDC's in series, can you mix aftermarket tops?

AAjax
01-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi ya,
I have 2xMCP350 pumps, Im getting ready to Mod my Tai-Chi so the door will accommodate two two MCR 220 rads instead of the one I am currently running.
I want to run these pumps in series to offset the pressure loss from adding the second Rad. I have 1x Petra's top and 1x Alphacool top. Can I use both in series without damaging either pump?
Additionally I currently run 3/8 priomochill line because it is by far the easiest to bend when the door is to be closed. Anyone out there able to confirm the 1/2 line is equally as malleable?
Thanks in advance :D

Jax

Martinm210
01-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Yes, you can run two different pumps, no problem.

3/8" ID x 5/8" primochill is pretty hard to beat for a tight bend radius, I think you can find.

Check out Virtualrain's tubing test thread in the stickys.

AAjax
01-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks Martin :)
Would there be any advantage to running the tops with 3/8 barbs? (as opposed to the stock top configuration) It gets real tight in there with the rads and fans facing the MB. and the 3/8 line works so well right now.
I did check out the sticky thread before I bought because of my situation, and so far it has served me well.

Jax

Martinm210
01-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Thanks Martin :)
Would there be any advantage to running the tops with 3/8 barbs? (as opposed to the stock top configuration) It gets real tight in there with the rads and fans facing the MB. and the 3/8 line works so well right now.
I did check out the sticky thread before I bought because of my situation, and so far it has served me well.

Jax

I would still run 1/2" barbs and just stretch the 3/8" tubing on. I really don't know how it affects the pump itself, but 3/8" barbs do add restriction to blocks. Swiftech posted the MCW-30 with different barb sizes and you can see the difference there.

The little bit of experiementing I did with inlet/outlet pump nozzles was showing that larger the outlet was always better. It improved maximum flow rate and had no loss in head pressure. The inlet however did affect both. Smaller inlet meant higher head pressure, but lower maximum flow rate.

I'd stick with 1/2" barbs. Maybe if you need the space, pick up some of EK's shorty G1/4 barbs.:shrug: