PDA

View Full Version : How would I power this?

01-08-2008, 06:36 PM
I received my inline UV sterilizer today and it looks good, and there is very little resistance, less than a 1/2" barb, so it should not impede flow rate, pressure, etc....

Anyway, There is no power switch, it just plugs into a wall socket, and as long as it is plugged in, it will be powered on. I want to find some way to have a separate "switch" so that when I flip it, it gets powered on or off.

How would I go about doing this?

Kurz
01-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Hmmm... When I had my AC Pump I had a Power strip with a switch.
Thats how I turned it off and on.

Nate P.
01-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Go to the hardware store and get a wall switch (originally for your lights) and wire it up!:rofl:

SiGfever
01-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Most UV lights will last longer if left powered on, check with the manufacturer for recommendations.

NaeKuh
01-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Dude you guys sometimes crack me up with all these advices.

All you need is a relay. People use AC pumps with these relays. I dont see how a UV Sterl would be any different. Just make sure you do the wiring correctly.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pureswkitv3.html

The relay will power the lights on when your system turns on. And turn the lights off when your system goes off.

Burn
01-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Haha- As Nae said, use a relay!

I use Crydom D2425 relays exclusively, they work awesome! Accepts either 5v or 12v input from the PSU and powers on the AC once it fires up.

01-08-2008, 07:03 PM
This is not powered by the computer PSU, it is powered with a rather heavy two prong (no ground prong or polarized (different size) prongs) wall wart, that is not detachable from the UV sterilizer.

I guess I am confused as to what a relay is and how it would work or how I would set it up.

Also, how will the UV bulb last longer if it is left on? Is it like a vacuum tube in that regard? The manufacturer recommends replacing it every 9-12 months, is that assuming it is left on continuously?

chiguy
01-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Think of a relay as an electronic switch. You wire both a line to the PSU and a line to the UV light. When it gets current from the PSU, it switches the UV light on.

01-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Ok I get it but I still don't see how I would plug the wall wart into that thing. Also, it's over $30 with shipping, I'm pretty strapped right now, and if it would be best to just leave the UV light on, I would prefer that. Does anybody know about this?

chiguy
01-08-2008, 07:12 PM
You don't have to use that relay in particular. It just costs more because of the stuff it comes with. You can just a relay for cheap but it requires a bit of wiring.

chiguy
01-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Some reading on relays:

http://www.1728.com/project3.htm

Now, just a warning, I haven't actually done this before so I can be wrong on this. :p:

Referring to the 1st pic in the link,
V1 and V2 goes to a PSU molex. Your light has 2 wires. Cut one and connect one end to B and the other to C. You can plug in the light into an AC outlet and when you turn on your computer, the PSU switches on the light.

01-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks, I will look into a relay if UVC lights can be turned off and on without harm. If they are meant to be left on and die faster if turned off and on ... I of course won't need or want a relay. In that case, I would like a light switch that would control power independently of the computer. I may even have one lying around.