PDA

View Full Version : Pointing out that you're different ?

leoftw
01-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Why do some people try so hard to point out that they're different ?

Mac user have a apple stickers on their cars.

Gay people have rainbow plates

and the latest one I seen was people with athiest shirts that have a huge "athiest" on the front .

:banana::banana::banana::banana: maybe I should wear a shirt that says "Catholic" have a plate that says Straight and have a Intel sign on the back of my car. Anyways I just wanted to vent. Thank you .

DTU_XaVier
01-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Because, believe it or not, it has become cool to show off your differences... I'm all for people being different from eachother, both in personality and style, but it's becoming different for different's sake lately...

Best Regards :toast:

Ugly n Grey
01-07-2008, 05:32 AM
The problem is the tag "I'm special" comes with a padded helmet in my case....sigh

twilyth
01-07-2008, 06:08 AM
I've always seen things differently than most people. It's not a choice, just a fact. If I didn't take some pride in that, I probably would have slit my wrists a long time ago.

jimmyz
01-07-2008, 06:08 AM
I'm unique , just like everybody else.

Movieman
01-07-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm unique , just like everybody else.

Exactly! We're different ages, cultures,religions, nationalities, levels of experience, areas of expertise and when people can get by all of that we can solve any problem that exists when we work together.
App a year or so ago in a thread in the DC section people were listing what they did for work and their background. I took a look at the list and if we got all those people together we could form a fortune 500 company.
It is our differences that make Xs what it is. If it was a US only forum so much would be lost.
I've had the pleasure to meet people from the US,Canada,Venezuela, Argentina,Brazil,Norway,Sweden,Denmark,Finland, Ireland,Israel,England,France,Germany,Austria,Germ any,Belgium,Russia,Egypt,Singapore,Hong Kong,China and Vietnam.
You know what I've found in meeting that mix of people?
They are all the same.
Yup, all decent people that want the same things out of life.
We have so much more in common than we do in differences.
The differences are very small in reality when we keep them in their proper place.
Anyway there's my slightly off topic 3 cents..:D

Frisch
01-07-2008, 07:08 AM
You're all "different""...i'm "normal"

Ugly n Grey
01-07-2008, 08:04 AM

I agree :ROTF:

biohead
01-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Read this:

“Now in our culture we've been trained for individual differences to stand out. So you look at each person and the immediate hit is 'brighter, dumber, older, younger, richer, poorer' and we make all these dimensional destinctions, put them in categories and treat them that way. And we get so that we only see others as seperate from ourselves in the ways in which they're seperate. And one of the dramatic characteristics of experience is being with another person and suddenly seeing the ways in which they are like you, not different from you, and experiencing the fact that which is essence in you, and which is essence in me is indeed 'one', the understanding that there is no 'other'. It is all one.
And I wasn't born Richard Albert, I was just born as a human being and then I learned this whole business of who I am and whether I'm good or bad or achieving or not, and all of that is learned along the way.”

Dr. Richard Albert - Interview, 1967

Zeitgeist ending thingy.

Anyway. Being different is the one thing we all have in common. Kinda like what jimmyz said.

DTU_XaVier
01-07-2008, 10:46 AM
I dunno, I don't think he was ranting about people being unique/different from one another, but rather the fact that people seem to be more and more obsessed with screaming "LOOK AT MEEE! I'm a nutjob!!" (exaggerated, you know what I mean)... To each his own of course, and I'm not one of God's most well-balanced children either, but for Bubba's sake, the rest of the world don't have to know by-proxy...

Zytek_Fan
01-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm gonna slap some XS stickers on my car :D

leoftw
01-07-2008, 06:16 PM

I wouldn't mind rocking one of those :p: seriously too

NoX
01-07-2008, 10:12 PM

XS ain't "different" anymore. :(

DTU_XaVier
01-08-2008, 04:54 AM
XS ain't "different" anymore. :(

The remaining 99.5% of the world's population might disagree though ;) :p:

Omastar
01-08-2008, 05:05 AM
I hate people who have to shout their 'differences' at you constantly, as if they have some deep-seated self-esteem issues and rely on others who could care less to reaffirm your very existence (see the solving a friendly argument thread in Speak Freely :rotf: ). It's enough to be unique. The worthy will take note of it without your bumper stickers, tshirts, and other ironically fatuous statements of identity.

DTU_XaVier
01-08-2008, 05:23 AM
I hate people who have to shout their 'differences' at you constantly, as if they have some deep-seated self-esteem issues and rely on others who could care less to reaffirm your very existence (see the solving a friendly argument thread in Speak Freely :rotf: ). It's enough to be unique. The worthy will take note of it without your bumper stickers, tshirts, and other ironically fatuous statements of identity.
So you mean to say I should just take down the "I've got a 9' c*ck" sticker on the side of my case? But I'm different! :confused: :rofl:

xlink
01-08-2008, 05:42 AM
people proclaim the fact that their different ultimately because they feel that others would see them as being inadequate if they didn't.

kuhla
01-08-2008, 03:38 PM
I've had the pleasure to meet people from the US,Canada,Venezuela, Argentina,Brazil,Norway,Sweden,Denmark,Finland, Ireland,Israel,England,France,Germany,Austria,Germ any,Belgium,Russia,Egypt,Singapore,Hong Kong,China and Vietnam.
You know what I've found in meeting that mix of people?
They are all the same.
Yup, all decent people that want the same things out of life.
We have so much more in common than we do in differences.
The differences are very small in reality when we keep them in their proper place.

I've been to about 1/3 of the countries on your list and you are 100% correct. When I tell other that same thing they don't believe me.

Omastar
01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
people proclaim the fact that their different ultimately because they feel that others would see them as being inadequate if they didn't.

There's truth to that. Although the popular association with uniqueness usually just turns into conforming to the current social trends (like girls with those damn huge sunglasses). It's really about nothing more than low self-esteem.

NickS
01-08-2008, 03:57 PM

Define normal ;)