PDA

View Full Version : 2x radiator in one loop

julissagz
01-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi,

what would be the best way to get maximum cooling from this type of setup.

this is what i have now currently

RES>>>MCP355>>>>thermochill PA120.3>>>CPU>>MCR220-QP>>NB>>SB

i have laying around an extra pump MCP655, would you recomend that i add it to my exsiting setup?

reason why i have the MCP355 is becasue reading on these forums that this pump is stronger and has a high flow rate, plus seeing i am pumping through two radiator. please advise if i am incorrect on this pump.

your assistance on this would be great.

Raxxath
01-06-2008, 10:43 AM
You don't want two different pumps in the same loop, as they will end up killing each other, or so I've heard.

Because you already have two radiators and two pumps, for maximum performance I would make two loops. But you will need another res. I would keep the PA120.3 and the CPU in one loop, the MCR220, NB, and SB in the second loop. It probably doesn't matter too much which pump you use for each loop.

julissagz
01-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Raxxath

thanks for the reply! i believe i read somewhere in this forum that the radiator should be one after the other which is not the case in my setup. i was wondering if that setup would cool the water further?

Raxxath
01-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Raxxath

thanks for the reply! i believe i read somewhere in this forum that the radiator should be one after the other which is not the case in my setup. i was wondering if that setup would cool the water further?

I don't believe it would matter much where the radiators are placed in the loop, as long as the res is right before the pump. If you're looking for maximum cooling, which it certainly seems you are, I think two loops is your best bet.

julissagz
01-06-2008, 11:30 AM
pa120.3 mounted to bottom of case.
MCP655 mounted on back with MCB-120 rad box

the rad placement is the question? flat, lay on end, standup? an where the barbs?

Eddie3dfx
01-06-2008, 11:31 AM
What do you guys think produces better temps, radiator to block or pump to block?
Or, since temp and flow is the same through the entire loop, it doesn't have a bearing on temps?

julissagz
01-06-2008, 11:32 AM
ill will consider that option very soon and yes i agree that prob is the best setup.

do you think the water flowing through two radiator will be much colder?

I don't believe it would matter much where the radiators are placed in the loop, as long as the res is right before the pump. If you're looking for maximum cooling, which it certainly seems you are, I think two loops is your best bet.

WhiteFireDragon
01-06-2008, 11:33 AM
water temps right before the rad and right after shouldn't be too different. if you rpump provides good circulation, water temps should be pretty much almost the same everywhere. the rad just takes the heat out of the loop.

Eddie3dfx
01-06-2008, 11:34 AM
1st Loop RES>>>MCP355>>>>thermochill PA120.3>>>CPU

2nd Loop RES >>>MCP655>>>>Mcr220 >>>NB >>> Sb

Martinm210
01-06-2008, 11:40 AM
1st Loop RES>>>MCP355>>>>thermochill PA120.3>>>CPU

2nd Loop RES >>>MCP655>>>>Mcr220 >>>NB >>> Sb

That's what I woudl do too.
Later you could add a graphics card to the second loop and not influence your CPU temps.

But as far as dual rads in one loop, it's not that important where they are. If both were in series right before the CPU you'd get the best CPU temps, but they are scatterd about, the difference won't be more than a couple of degrees at most.

julissagz
01-06-2008, 12:01 PM
both my rads have Ultra Kaze 87.63 CFM/32.91 dBA

MCB-120 rad box place barb's on the bottom to get max cooling,(flame guard turned on.... iknow its a pain to bleed air out, but heat rises and once loop is bled of air no problem)

pa120.3 barb's up for need to cut holes in case.

what air management are you planning to use on rads an case air?

julissagz
01-06-2008, 12:03 PM
what do you mean scatterd about? i am assuming that the water temp will be much colder before it hits the cpu since the water he to flow through two rads being cooled.

let me know if that is not the case.

But as far as dual rads in one loop, it's not that important where they are. If both were in series right before the CPU you'd get the best CPU temps, but they are scatterd about, the difference won't be more than a couple of degrees at most.

Martinm210
01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
what do you mean scatterd about? i am assuming that the water temp will be much colder before it hits the cpu since the water he to flow through two rads being cooled.

let me know if that is not the case.

I just meant you could put them just about anywhere in the loop without too much difference.

Depending on your water to ambient delta it could only make a 1 or 2 degree difference across a radiator, so if it really helped your tubing layout they could be placed just about anywhere without too much difference.

But your original plan of putting one right before each heating component is a very good one:up:

STEvil
01-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Two pumps in series wont hurt either as your total system flowrate is often substaintially far below their max free-flow rate.

Use the pump which has the best free-flow rate to feed the second pump.

Isriam
01-06-2008, 12:34 PM
using 1 loop may yield lower temps for his whole system though, since he could help use the pa120.3 to carry the load of the nb/sb, and the mcr220 could help cool the cpu right?

STEvil
01-06-2008, 01:53 PM
possible, but with no gpu in the loop doesnt really matter... 1-2c at most.