PDA

View Full Version : got leakage need some plumbing goop?

oqvist
01-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Itīs just impossible to get my water cooling setup leek free. The outlet from my swiftech microres is leaking for sure... Messed with it tons got it so it was just leak proof but now it leaks again...

I do use clamps of course and tape doesnīt matter... These plastic fittings is not designed for high flow pumps it seems.

There was some amazing plumbing goop but since I am not in the US they donīt want to sell.

CyberDruid
01-06-2008, 09:08 AM
IF you are getting a leak from the same fitting over and over after repeated tries I would just go with a new reservoir...could be something your are missing that is flawed, cracked, damaged in some way,

kinghong1970
01-06-2008, 09:59 AM
silicone? or any plastic cement to permanently fix it to place?

get a metal barb like the D-Teks...

tried teflons?

Nate P.
01-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Silly question but... are you using the o-rings?

oqvist
01-06-2008, 12:39 PM
o-rings plus teflon tape plus no bend on the tubes... Should simple not leak you think. My old Koolance without any maintenance never leaked at all.
Problem is I havenīt seen any res that seem to fit as well with my case as this so would like to get this working... I havenīt seen any crack or anything when I installed it and I bought it new.

Will probably try to get some metal barb is ther any available where you donīt have to deattache the tube donīt want to mess with draining the system if possible...

edit:

Thanks for the tip on plastic cement... Searching it there is stuff that is supposed to fix water leakages and no problem finding sites that ships to Sweden. The swedish hobby stores is to small to have item descriptions it seems on their basic homepages...

oqvist
01-15-2008, 11:04 AM
This is just unbelievable... Got the cement and take the radiator out... What do I find the whole thing is cracked??? No wonder it leaks. Never in my dreams I could see this happening wasn´t in my mindset How can they make reservoirs that crack like this without any reason? It´s actually two cracks... One big that goes from top to bottom and one smaller...

Gonna have to search for another res and stop buying swiftech stuff...

Xilikon
01-15-2008, 11:08 AM
I got a cracked microres once, on the top part and it leaked slowly. I RMA the defective one and got a good one, no leak for almost 1 month now.

If it works fine the first time, it will work for a long time. You may have gotten a defective one.

oqvist
01-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah but it wasnīt cracked when I installed it... And since I havenīt touched it felt it was weird... But take a gamble on a new one donīt feel like rma:ing it since I assume they wonīt pay for the shipping...

btw are you using teflon tape or just the orings??? Also have you found a tool you can buy somewhere to open it... That was the biggest hassle when installing it the first time lol.

Xilikon
01-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Just a o-ring included with D-Tek metal barbs. Mine didn't leak at first but after a short while (about 3 weeks), it started leaking but I already knew something is not right since you can see the acrylic joints and one corner is more cloudier (like if there are air bubbles in the glue) than the rest. The new one has perfectly clean corners without any airbubbles in it.

Stuey
01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Yeah but it wasnīt cracked when I installed it... And since I havenīt touched it felt it was weird... But take a gamble on a new one donīt feel like rma:ing it since I assume they wonīt pay for the shipping...

btw are you using teflon tape or just the orings??? Also have you found a tool you can buy somewhere to open it... That was the biggest hassle when installing it the first time lol.

With metal barbs, I use some thread grease and o-rings. As for opening the plug, I just use an appropriately sized flathead screwdriver and it seems to respond well.

Canadmos
01-15-2008, 11:38 AM
How much teflon tape did you use?

STEvil
01-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Did you install the microres in a bay? If you picked up your case and moved it that could have cracked it since cases often flex slightly while being moved.

oqvist
01-15-2008, 12:33 PM
I just attached it with velcro so it can move independently for a bit. I have wheels on my case have slide it around but not sure if I have lifted it or something could happen I guess...

As for metal barbs do they really make much difference to the plastic ones? You would think it would be the best to use what is supplied with the tank...

As for teflon tape I used maybe about two layers. Since I had initial issues with leaking as well I am not sure those fittings where tight either but now with cement should be no problem to fix that if I god forbid got another leaking tank lol.

Is there such a thing as overtightening the barbs getting leaks that way btw?

Chewbenator
01-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Well, overtightenting the barbs can distort the o-rings, and if you use enough force I'm sure it could crack the rez.

gmod
01-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Well, overtightenting the barbs can distort the o-rings, and if you use enough force I'm sure it could crack the rez.

That was my first thought too...And where most of the faults come from...

STEvil
01-15-2008, 08:51 PM
If it was velcro'd to the bottom then there should be no problem. Velcro'ing to a bay on more than one side might cause an issue but not as likely.

Daemonfly
01-15-2008, 10:21 PM
I got two micro-reses in just the other day and both of them had shoddy machining at the inlet/outlet. It looks like they use a small end-mill to orbit around the hole and machine out the section for the o-ring (vs just using larger, perfectly sized tooling). Where the end-mill stopped, it left a circular area milled out that was lower than the rest of it, and there was no way the o-ring could seal it up 100%. Milled out too fast perhaps? I didn't want to screw with RMAing it as I've had enough small problems with my build (some being other Swiftech brand issues =\), so I just used a bit of sandpaper & some Weld-On 3 to smooth it all out. Put barbs on, tightened up, and with a flashlight from the back side of hole, could see 100 contact from o-ring.

Also, they used different thicknesses of acrylic on the top & bottom panels, so they are visually different sizes :(

oqvist
01-16-2008, 03:02 PM
yes I canīt say I get the impression swiftech is a high quality brand... As for overtightening I donīt think itīs that because I first aimed to attach it firm but not going crazy and it leaked... I then tightened it a bit more and it was good for a while...

As for velcro I attached it to one side of the case so even if it flex that could hardly crack it I think... Also teflon tape should I use it or skip it entirely? I think I will use plastic cement from pretty much the beginning around the nossles...

Now I really donīt want to go through the hassle one more time so I will gamble with another one if this donīt work well I am forced to find another solution which means redoing pretty much the entire loop I suspect Got the cooler master stacker and had great issues fitting everything since I went for 1/2" tubing :p Itīs just on the margin I can run with the case closed and without getting any bends.

Baleful
01-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Sorry to hear your bad luck. Swiftech usually dosn't push out crap quality products, but the two Microres's I got had a ton of shavings and junk inside the res. I know this is just from the machining process, but still....

As for the cracks, did you happen to get any alcohol in your loop? I beleive seeing somewhere, that getting alcohol in your loop will eat away at the acrylic, causing it to crack.

Anyways, hope things get better.

oqvist
01-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Hmm I do use it for cleaning away thermal paste but I don´t see how it could end up in the loop... Only additive is the one recommended by swiftech... Stinks like crazy btw lol.

Just got my second microres... No cracks visible though the drill holes aren´t totally clean but will work out hopefully... I am thinking I will skip teflon tape this time shoulded be needed with the orings you would think.

oqvist
01-30-2008, 12:48 PM
update: a week now with the new reservoir not a single drop or anything hope it stays this way now... Absolutely no bubbles in the loop as well :)