PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D40x Repair

MaxxxRacer
01-05-2008, 03:35 PM
I recently got a Nikon D40x for Christmas (but I conned it out of my family by the 17th of Dec) and I started noticing that virtually every photo had 3 colored spots. At first I thought it was dirt, but 2 were bright red and one bright green.

I clean the CMOS Censor (actually just the low pas filter) with some compressed air, but it turns out that did not fix the problem. So I contacted nikon and they directed me to my local repair facility, which as it turns out is only a few blocks from my house.

I brought it in on the 27th and I called them up yesterday (5th of jan) and it turns out the CMOS sensor was bad and they had to order a new one from Japan.

The nice thing is though, that the whole repair process seems to be going smoothly and obviously there will be no charge. Furthermore, I get the camera body inspected and cleaned for free which is nice.

It kinda sucks that I was out a Camera for New Years, but atleast I get a new sensor out of it. But I suppose it all worked out for the best as my girlfriend and I both got sick over new Years and stayed home all week.

If you're curious as to why I'm posting this, its merely because I want to rant. I would be out taking photos, but I am short one camera for that.

Nate P.
01-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Sheds a good light on Nikon, though, looks like they take care of their customers.

TheGoat Eater
01-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Sheds a good light on Nikon, though, looks like they take care of their customers.

yes - in my experience (family photographic supply/camera store =been around 110years:up: =) Nikon does good with customer relations/service:up: ... I would suggest not trying to clean the inside yourself - do they have camera shops near you that have reps/techs come in and clean sensors - I would recommend that over trying it yourself (for sensor) as this tends to show up as a common cause of repairs being needed...I read that you had the problem prior to cleaning and had a bum sensor:( , just making sure you know I am not flaming you. I guess you were good to get the camera :rofl: Hope you enjoy it !!!

MaxxxRacer
01-28-2008, 08:00 PM
I got the camera back. Apparently they didnt replace the sensor. They just turned off a few of the dead pixels. Kind of sounds like BS to me, but all of my photos look good and I cant tell that there are any missing pixels. I will do some ultra high zoom exams in Photoshop CS3 to see what is going on.

they also did a full clean on the body and mirror chamber. They didnt get rid of thge spot on the viewfinder though. Not much of an issue though as it doesnt affect the pictures.