PDA

View Full Version : Abit RMA... worth doing?

septimus
07-13-2002, 12:06 AM
Well, I've got a KX7-333 on my hands that has numerous problems. Is it worth the time and shipping cost to RMA an Abit motherboard?

IFMU
07-13-2002, 12:23 AM
Well I personally dont know that particular motherboard, but question, whats the cost on it? If its a decent motherboard and at least slightly costly, I would, if for nuthin else than to Sell it once I get it back.

Its at least a few bucks. heh.
Or, you can sell it as is, and let the person buying it RMA it.

septimus
07-13-2002, 12:38 AM
This is a $100-ish mobo. I'm 100% certain that the capacitors on this mobo are crap. I think I will RMA this board then, I have no choice...

Since I have a reciept of purchase I can copy it and include it with the board to save the $25 service fee that is charged otherwise... the only cost is shipping it to Abit. I hope that the board that comes back will be tip-top, or its RMA time again :p

Leo
07-13-2002, 01:49 PM
ABit RMA can be a bit flaky at times. Back when I first RMA'd my KR7A, they sent me back another KR7A with three teeth missing off the socket, severely bent capacitors, dust everywhere, and a fairly large nick in the board itself. I promptly shipped that one back and got a good board but it was a bit annoying.

My old KX7-333 never needed an RMA. Right now my IT7 is with ABit, let's see if they can do a better job this time. Only costs around $6 to ship a board via USPS Priority (after the rate hike) so I guess it's worth it.

Leo
07-19-2002, 01:15 PM
Well you probably already RMA'd the board sept but just FYI, my IT7 came back today and once again it's a used board. This time it's not physically damaged but it is pretty dirty. Heatsink compound is smeared everywhere :\.

MrIcee
07-19-2002, 01:33 PM
This is exactly why I buy from NewEgg...I can rma directly to them..they test it and have sent me a NEW board everytime. Kudo's to them for their great customer service ! BTW..I'm in upstate NY...send on Monday next day to California...have the board Friday...every time:)

Randi:D

TheDude
07-19-2002, 06:30 PM
I also am a big fan of Newegg...I just RMAed an old board to Abit..should have sent it back to Newegg, but I felt guilty because I have RMAed several items to them recently. Not Neweggs fault or mine..just bad luck. They have been super..no hassles and fast replacements with brand new parts. The abit RMA will be here on the 24th..hope it isn't junk. You can find stuff a little cheaper elsewhere, but you cannot beat the service anywhere.

septimus
07-19-2002, 07:33 PM
I would buy from newegg (they have great prices) if they shipped to canada, which they do not unfortunately. All the best hardware stores and prices are south of the border. bleh.

septimus
07-19-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Leo
Well you probably already RMA'd the board sept but just FYI, my IT7 came back today and once again it's a used board. This time it's not physically damaged but it is pretty dirty. Heatsink compound is smeared everywhere :\.

Wait a sec, is this the rule rather than the exception? The KX7-333R I sent them was about 2 weeks old but was bad out of the box. I had to RMA it because the store I bought it from doesnt do exchanges or refunds (I will never buy there again). The board I sent them was essentially new and should I expect a dirty peice of broken :banana::banana::banana::banana: in return?! Thats ridiculous! If I get some filthy-ass board back from them I will never, under any circumstances, buy Abit products again. I'll become an Asus-only OCer that will bad-mouth Abit at every chance I get ;)

Leo
07-19-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by septimus

Wait a sec, is this the rule rather than the exception? The KX7-333R I sent them was about 2 weeks old but was bad out of the box. I had to RMA it because the store I bought it from doesnt do exchanges or refunds (I will never buy there again). The board I sent them was essentially new and should I expect a dirty peice of broken :banana::banana::banana::banana: in return?! Thats ridiculous! If I get some filthy-ass board back from them I will never, under any circumstances, buy Abit products again. I'll become an Asus-only OCer that will bad-mouth Abit at every chance I get ;)

Well I don't know about that but I can tell you from my personal experience (three direct ABit RMAs) I got crap from ABit. The IT7 I guess is passable but in no way should my first replacement KR7A have been shipped to me. I mean, a little HSF compound I'm ok with...broken teeth, dust everywhere, scars in the board's PCB, bent components no.

ThePunkerGuy
07-23-2002, 12:18 PM
Its worth it to get your board fixed but one time when i sent an abit board back they lost it like 5 times and took forever for me to get it back.
- Mike

Leo
07-25-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by ThePunkerGuy
Its worth it to get your board fixed but one time when i sent an abit board back they lost it like 5 times and took forever for me to get it back.
- Mike

Heh sounds like it was a pain. Moral of the story is to go RMA your ABit board at the place you bought it from if possible.

Going for my 4th RMA now, the IT7 replacement board I was sent is now having the same problems as my original board. At least this time I managed to cajole them into shipping me my replacement board first along with a UPS shipping label so that I don't have to pay shipping.

septimus
07-26-2002, 12:19 PM
Bleh. I guess next time I plop good money down on a mobo I will ask about RMAs and exchange policies. I know that newegg.com does the best RMAs, unfortunately they are a USA-only store ;)

TheDude
07-26-2002, 02:40 PM
Got my Abit Board back and it looks brand new..clean as a whistle. Thought I would let you guys know for what it's worth.

Keeper
07-30-2002, 08:45 PM
I got my KX7 back from ABIT, it looks brand new. The numbers indicate it is newer than the one I sent them.

septimus
07-30-2002, 08:59 PM
Sounds promising! Abit's RMA tracking service indicates that they recieved my RMA just yesterday, I hope I will have the same experience.