PDA

View Full Version : Qx6700

L4nce
01-03-2008, 12:54 AM
I have been looking over your forum for a few days and was wondering if any of you would be willing to give me some pointers. I don't exactly have a dry ice rig now, but its enough for some power :)

My current specs are
Proc: Qx6700
Mobo: Asus Striker Extreme
Ram: 2 1 gb stick Corsair Dominators DDR2 PC2 8500s w/ air cooler.
Cooling: Danger Den liquid cooling (double radiator). Only a waterblock on the CPU. ( striker has a giant heatsink on the north bridge)

I'll admit I have spent much more time on the case then the overclocking. I have it running at 3.2 (2.6 stock) just from a multiplier overclock.

Heres the case..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/greenlance/DSCN0021-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/greenlance/DSCN0139.jpg

More work to be done, I know :)

I'll be honest, I have a basic knowledge from my many OCing attempts back in the day with my AMD 3500+ and FX53, but that's about it for my ability to overclock. However while I may need more cooling for my north bridge to do anything halfway serious, it's not quite an option since Christmas just ended (and just ordered more ram :D) and I cant afford to purchase any additional cooling currently.

Thanks for your time.

L4nce
01-03-2008, 09:54 PM
:bump: :)

L4nce
01-05-2008, 12:47 AM
....bump...

Leeghoofd
01-05-2008, 01:51 AM
Best Bios for the Striker with a quad is the 1303 bios for most... although you claim the Striker has a giant heatsink on the NB it's really not enough to enable high stable FSB overclocks... extra cooling is required and the Asus clip on fans are really not up to the job... in case you opt for higher clocks, please tidy up ya interior ( cable management) and place some fans on the NB and SB...
For settings I would refer you to the Striker extreme thread... 680i has loads of FSB holes ( means that the PC won't boot with certain FSB set, no matter what voltage, timings you set in the bios) 266 to 333 mostly works , then big hole to 410Mhz, 412 and 415 should work, 425FSB and if you are lucky 450FSB too... keep in mind that when overclocking a quad with a high FSB to keep the ram in sync meaning 425FSB means 850 ram speed, if you try to force more ram speed this will mostly lead to instability...

You are a lucky guy to have a cpu with a free multi, in case you run into trouble you just up the Multi, most quads with decent cooling get up to 3.6-3.8ghz...

Good luck... nice rig mate

L4nce
01-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info =) I'm running faster then my mobo allows ram so it will still be running under its pre set speed after I over clock it, so pushing it will be no problem. The cables however have no where to go =/