PDA

View Full Version : EK or Petra Top???

Lloyd
01-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi Guys,
so which to go for - the Petra top or the EK for my DDC-1 Ultra?
Thankyou very much for your help
regards

lloyd

Nate P.
01-02-2008, 05:28 PM
I have the Petra, and love it. Can't comment on the EK, I haven't heard much about it and haven't used it myself.

RubberDuck
01-02-2008, 06:22 PM
I have the Petra, and love it

+1 FTW. I have it & it flat out kicks Ass :up: :up: :up:

SiGfever
01-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Don't overlook the Alphacool top.

septim
01-02-2008, 08:59 PM
alphacool for versatile mounting...

Petra top, EK top, OCLabs, now even Radiicals needs more testing. but any should work well, since most are of same design and functionality...
(need some testing most likely to any who has time...)

ma1kmcn1
01-03-2008, 05:54 PM
I would stay away from the alphacool top. I had two reservoir tops ruin my DDC's after the plastic cracked and started leaking. If I get another DDC it will be with a petra top.

sanhacker
01-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Don't overlook the Alphacool top.

+1

Great mounting possibilities including noise isolation in a 3.5" bay.
Running two of them and they are inaudible.

Just use a separate reservoir.

eXa
01-04-2008, 04:33 AM
The Radiical is more of an sad chapter and should be passed on in silence. if in not mistaken its the worst performing after marked top for the ddc so not worth touching anyways.

max_87
01-04-2008, 04:44 AM
The earlier revisions are bad, but the newest revision should performs more or less similar to petras/alphacool/etc.

The earlier revision, the one that was tested by Petra in the top roundup:
http://radiical.com.au/products/RadiicalPumpTop.asp

Newest revision:
http://radiical.com.au/products/RadiicalPumpTopTwo.asp

Zeus
01-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Is there anybody that has a pic of both tops next to each other? EK's and PTS' that is.

Isriam
01-04-2008, 06:58 AM
just buy petra's and stop asking this question every day.

Xilikon
01-04-2008, 07:09 AM
The EK is harder to find from what it looks so just get the Petra's and don't look back ;) They should perform almost the same.

Vargher Warg
01-05-2008, 02:30 AM
Hey guys! what is this radiical dude saying here?:

"Please note; Testing of the Alphacool top on the Laing DDC 3.2 is not recommended unless the restricting ring formed in the top of the Alphacool pump head is removed. The pump rotor will rise to contact this protrusion and will more than likely permanently damage the pump." :confused:

My English reading ability sucks sometimes! :yepp:

Can someone be nice and explain for a boneheaded half-twit as
myself, if my newly bought Alphacool top, have some problem with
the Laing DDC 3.2? - or am I just overparanoid as usual and read
totally wrong as I always do?

Remember that I'm an half-idiot regarding English - SO write slowly! :ROTF:

Thanks in advance!

Talonman
01-05-2008, 02:36 AM
I don't speak a second language, so your one up on me.

I think it is saying with your pump (Laing DDC 3.2), you need to remove the restricting ring formed in the top of the pump head, or it won't work using the Alphacool top.
The ring you must remove is located in the pump.

I do not know what the restriction ring is, nor have i seen one, but it sounds like you must take it out of your pump? :)

Jedda
01-05-2008, 03:03 AM
Remove it from inside the alphacool top's internal cavity, I get.
Its not suitable with a 3.2 impeller.

Edit -
If you check out the installation guide it has a pic of inside the top. There's a ring moulded in the center.

Xilikon
01-05-2008, 10:49 AM
This is the same restriction as the original DDCT-01 top (Petra). The revised DDCT-01s has the ring already removed.

Garrett
01-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Is there anybody that has a pic of both tops next to each other? EK's and PTS' that is.

I'm getting EK's DDC top and screw on res soon... gonna order that next week :)

Vargher Warg
01-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I don't speak a second language, so your one up on me.

I think it is saying with your pump (Laing DDC 3.2), you need to remove the restricting ring formed in the top of the pump head, or it won't work using the Alphacool top.
The ring you must remove is located in the pump.

I do not know what the restriction ring is, nor have i seen one, but it sounds like you must take it out of your pump? :)

Remove it from inside the alphacool top's internal cavity, I get.
Its not suitable with a 3.2 impeller.

Edit -
If you check out the installation guide it has a pic of inside the top. There's a ring moulded in the center.

This is the same restriction as the original DDCT-01 top (Petra). The revised DDCT-01s has the ring already removed.

Thanks for the clarification guys!

But are they still selling these defective/old tops in online stores?
shouldn't these have been redrawn from the market by now?

So It's only important info if you have the old tops maybe?

Mine came assembled with the pump so I didn't get any
installation guide or a manual with it! - strange that they
didn't include a manual I must say!

Without a box. Couldn't they use the old one?

I must dissect the pump tomorrow and check!
before I jump into more speculation about it, but
now I can see some dirty dark spot on the impeller as well.

And the new 1/4 threads on my MCRES were inclined.

I hate when things like this is happening, It's expensive stuff!

Well! I must contact their shop on monday.

And for the poor guy whos thread I'm hijacking - I'm sorry mate!

Anyway! many thanks! :)

shazza
01-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Isn't the EK top pretty new? So not much chance for people to test. I have just received one (from Performance PC's) - the one with the res combo, but won't be installing until the weekend.

Nate P.
01-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Yes, the EK is fairly new (compared to the Petra top) and I haven't seen ANY tests or comparisons done on it.

Lloyd
01-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Yes, the EK is fairly new (compared to the Petra top) and I haven't seen ANY tests or comparisons done on it.

Yeah that's why i started this thread, just in case someone else had, or had used/tested them back to back

@ Vargher Warg - np buddy

Sparky
01-06-2008, 11:41 AM
The earlier revisions are bad, but the newest revision should performs more or less similar to petras/alphacool/etc.

The earlier revision, the one that was tested by Petra in the top roundup:
http://radiical.com.au/products/RadiicalPumpTop.asp

Newest revision:

Just because it his his own site for his product I'm taking his claim of his top being the best with a grain of salt. I don't know the guy, not sure if he would pull the same stunt as koolance has with marketing to "prove" their stuff is "better" or not. I'd want to wait until someone here that is known trustworthy and accurate in testing (nikhsub perhaps?) would put all the current tops head-to-head to find out which is the leader.

Martinm210
01-06-2008, 12:27 PM
I'd really like to do a big pump top shootout. I have all the necessary the testing equipment, I just don't have a DDC or any of the tops..:(

Sparky
01-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Oh yeah shoot I forgot about you and your testing. Sorry about that!

Time to buy a pump and tops... ;) lol jk, I'd let you use my Petra top while my pump is going to RMA but you are a little far away and I kind of want to put my loop back together ASAP when the new pump comes (can't stand the noise or temps from the old buzzy zalman 9500!)

eXa
01-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Please don’t use bad language here eXa, consider this a warning

disruptfam
01-06-2008, 04:34 PM
who tricia?

eXa
01-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Javascripterror

teko
01-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Considering the EK top, as I can get that one the same place as the tubing and new res I need, but the alphacool top has worked fine with me so far.. Only problem is that thing about removing something, I don't really get it, as it is their own top..
The major problem I would face using the EK one mounting, as I'm mointing them in the top atm.. And then, if there would be any advantage of using the 3/8" version over the 1/4" version?