PDA

View Full Version : video card question

Attitudx
08-07-2003, 06:35 AM
I know the video card bios can be flashed. IF you flash it wrong you can either flash with a pci card or just blind flash again? DOes this sound right??? Just curious. I didnt do it but have the chance to pick up a Triplex Xabre Plus that was flashed wrong??? whatch think :stick:

CCW
08-07-2003, 06:46 AM
Majormav has a guide to this, will ask him for you

EDIT - here you go http://7volts.com/overclock_tutorial.htm#badvideoflash

The bit you need:

Now if you screw the pooch with the install as I did, even with no video you can get back to where you were. If you scramble your card, put the floppy in A:. Open your computer and pull the power adapter off the hard disk (this forces a boot from the floppy). The system will boot, and flash your BIOS back to the original. Wait 30 seconds after the last floppy access and reset the computer. If you see the normal startup screens, you're home free. You can avoid the hard disk disconnect step if you set the computer to boot from the floppy before you start (but I don't think anyone ever does that... I didn't).

If you decide not to do this (preparing a disk) at least save a copy of your ORIGBIOS.ROM on a floppy somewhere. You can prepare the disk on another computer if you have a copy of your BIOS on a floppy. Also jot down the URL of this site so you can download the files again from another computer. If you didn't back up the original BIOS, all may not be lost. Use another computer and download the latest BIOS from the manufacturers website along with their flash utility. You follow the above steps substituting the updated BIOS and your manufacturers flash program with the appropriate switch settings in the above autoexec.bat file. After you make your disk, just boot the crippled machine from the new floppy and you should be back where you were. If you have another video card, even an old one, you can substitute that one to get video. In that case you can use the old video card and then prepare a boot disk as above. When you have the boot disk ready to go, put the boot disk in the drive, force the computer to boot from the floppy by disconnecting the power to the hard disk(s) if necessary and let the AUTOEXEC.BAT file restore a working video BIOS.
Here's a commercial website dedicated to BIOS replacement. You might want to have a look here either before or after having troubles. http://www.badflash.com/index.html

Attitudx
08-07-2003, 07:24 AM
ok coolio great information now i know why i ask questions here guys are smart and have the resources to answer. IT confuses me a bit... I mean i have video now but if i install this card will i lose it or will my system correct it??

CCW
08-07-2003, 08:17 AM
well you flashed a card right? and now you cant see the system boots but no see? if you put this card in you will be able to see because it wasnt that cards BIOS you flash

Attitudx
08-07-2003, 08:25 AM
awww ok i see no i didnt someone else did and they are selling it they dont wanna mess with re doing it... SO if i put this card in my nonflashed bios of my computer it would be fine with video right???

CCW
08-07-2003, 08:28 AM
yes, each card has own bios, so if you think logically by putting a new card it will work

Attitudx
08-07-2003, 08:40 AM
yep that cleared it up so in getting the card it was wrongly flashed so in order to use it i would have to flash it no matter what computer it goes into....Thank you for the info and sorry to hurt your brain by confusing you i understand now....Now is it worth the ten bucks???? IT does have a Crystal ORb on it???

CCW
08-07-2003, 08:49 AM
hehe, what card is it sorry?

Attitudx
08-07-2003, 08:59 AM
Triplex Xabre Plus - 64mg
(I tried to flash the bios on this card and messed up. You could reflash with a pci card which I don't have or do a blind flash. Comes with a Crystal Orb epoxied on.)

CCW
08-07-2003, 09:04 AM
lol now i understand, i thought you meant you have a card flashed wrong and dont wana do a blind flash so you were asking if you put a new card in will it work, lol im a fool

dont know that card im afraid

Craig

Attitudx
08-07-2003, 09:21 AM
no i was gonna get it that way wrongfully flashed just wondered for a 64 meg card that beat a gforce4 mmx440 64mg granted just a mmx but i have one of thse now and they are pretty good